Navigation Pane RRS feed

• Question

• I often work with documents that have the first word in a line of text set as a heading2, and the remainder of line set in the normal heading. If I create a TOC, the first word of that text line will be properly displayed in the TOC. However, the first word of the line will not be displayed in the navigation pane.  The navigation pane will only display text in a heading2 style if there is no other style on the same line of text. Is there some option setting for the navigation pane that will allow multiple headings or styles to be on the same line of text and display in the navigation pane? 
    Wednesday, April 26, 2017 7:17 PM

All replies

• Hi M_A_S2,

If I understand correctly, you may try the following steps and check if it can meet your requirement (I am using Word 2016, steps might be slightly different if you are running other version of Word.):

1. Go to References > Custom Table of Contents:

2. Click Options..., scroll down to set the TOC level of Normal as 2(the same as heading2 style):

3. Click OK, OK, YES to update the Table of Contents:

Hope you can find it helpful. Please feel free to let me know if you need further assistance on this.

Best regards,
    Yuki Sun

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped.

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, April 27, 2017 12:01 PM
  • If you add a style separator you can format different parts of the same paragraph using different paragraph styles. You can use Ctrl+Alt+Enter to add the style separator.

Be sure to display nonprinting marks, for example by clicking the ¶ icon on the Home tab, when working with style separators. The separators look like ordinary paragraph marks surrounded by a dotted line.

The Navigation pane will display each heading as a separate entry, in a separate line, though.

Stefan Blom, Microsoft Word MVP

Friday, April 28, 2017 8:42 AM
  • Sorry for the late reply.

This is dealt with in Suzanne Barnhill's article on the Run-In SideHeads:

Creating Run-in Sideheads by Suzanne Barnhill, MVP

If you are trying to apply a heading style to only part of a paragraph, you are using the linked characteristic of the style to apply the font formating to your text. However, it does not count as having that Heading for purposes of the Table of Contents or Navigation Pane. The solution explored in Suzanne's article is use of the Style Separator which lets you have two Word paragraphs appear as a single logical paragraph in your document.

Charles Kenyon Madison, WI

Sunday, November 25, 2018 3:43 AM