SearchIndexer.exe + SearchFilterHost.exe VS iTunes and iPod RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

SearchFilterHost.exe along with and sometimes alone are using 20-35% CPU Usage causing my laptop to heat up really fast, and unnecessary noise.

I researched about these two files a bit, found that iTunes uses the .xml files that couse high indexing, i disables .xml from indexing, to no significant change, i had to disable the Search Services. But this caused an error on my iPod (Apple) about session not being built, and screwed its battery.

I have restored all setting again, and the CPU Usage is on a rise. Please tell me what might be wrong, or anyway to fix it without causing any significant problems on the ipod.

I am using Windows 7.

Thanks!

Tuesday, September 13, 2011 5:07 PM

Answers

• Hi,

In particular the iTunes library is stored in the My Music\iTunes\iTunes Music Library.xml file. It's an XML file and it's in one of the locations we index by default. If you have a very large music library it can take a fairly long time to parse this file and index it. This file gets modified frequently when you are using iTunes, and each time the file gets updated then search will reindex it. So this can end up taking a lot of CPU.

Disabling .xml should effect for this problem. I don’t know what you mean “to no significant change”. I suggest that you may use Process Monitor to check the behavior.

1. Download Process Monitor.
    2. Run Process Monitor when this problem occurs
    3. Stop Process Monitor after awhile, save the log as a PML file.
    4. Upload the file via SkyDrive and post a link here.
    http://explore.live.com/windows-live-skydrive?wa=wsignin1.0

Since this is a iTunes related problem, I also suggest that you may contact Apple for help.

http://www.apple.com/

Notice: Since the websites is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this.

If you have any progress or further question about this problem, please post it here in order to share it for more people. 

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”

• Edited by zhen tan Tuesday, September 20, 2011 8:38 AM
    • Marked as answer by Robinson Zhang Friday, September 23, 2011 9:23 AM
    Tuesday, September 20, 2011 2:04 AM

All replies

• Is there any relation between Windows Search Services and iTunes?
    Wednesday, September 14, 2011 1:51 PM
  • Check indexing options.  Uncheck the things you don't want indexed.

Thursday, September 15, 2011 3:41 PM
  • That might ruin other things.
    Friday, September 16, 2011 5:02 PM
  • Hi,

In particular the iTunes library is stored in the My Music\iTunes\iTunes Music Library.xml file. It's an XML file and it's in one of the locations we index by default. If you have a very large music library it can take a fairly long time to parse this file and index it. This file gets modified frequently when you are using iTunes, and each time the file gets updated then search will reindex it. So this can end up taking a lot of CPU.

Disabling .xml should effect for this problem. I don’t know what you mean “to no significant change”. I suggest that you may use Process Monitor to check the behavior.

1. Download Process Monitor.
    2. Run Process Monitor when this problem occurs
    3. Stop Process Monitor after awhile, save the log as a PML file.
    4. Upload the file via SkyDrive and post a link here.
    http://explore.live.com/windows-live-skydrive?wa=wsignin1.0

Since this is a iTunes related problem, I also suggest that you may contact Apple for help.

http://www.apple.com/

Notice: Since the websites is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this.

If you have any progress or further question about this problem, please post it here in order to share it for more people. 

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”

• Edited by zhen tan Tuesday, September 20, 2011 8:38 AM
    • Marked as answer by Robinson Zhang Friday, September 23, 2011 9:23 AM
    Tuesday, September 20, 2011 2:04 AM