none
Question about local base calendars RRS feed

• Question

• In the following thread:

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/projectserver/en-US/1454c9c5-cc06-40b2-bd00-60786472f8df/project-server-2013-projects?forum=projserv2010setup

a user was notified to use base calendars, a functionality I was unaware of, and since we were having an issue with importing a user's schedule I wanted to try out the base calendar function.  So we took to the road and enabled base calendars on our dev server.  We then went to up load/import a previous schedule to PWA which has ~13,000 task and the file is ~50mb.  Previously we would get errors about incompatible calendars - which I  thought the solution provided to the other user would fix our issue... it didn't

On step 2 of the import project wizard we get 80/80 resource errors 
    On step 4 of the import project wizard we get 11,000/120000 task errors (pertaining to the calendar)

is there a way to get around these errors?

Or is this the way its supposed to be?  Granted this is one of a few projects we have had issues with but why cant the calendars be local to the project as well as the resources?

Thanks for the help...

KBW

Thursday, October 23, 2014 6:14 PM

Answers

• I was told by another team member what the issue(and resolution) was with local base calendars...

First you have to enable the check box in the PWA server 

NEXT you have to have the user import their own calendar via Project Professional...the user will have to manager all their own calendars... We thought Project Professional was smart enough to import the calendars from the project not have the user do all the work.

I'm surprised that this little detail was overlooked and that establishing/adding the calendar via the Project Professional was  the little detail that was necessary for us to solve this.

Thanks for the help from everyone ...

• Marked as answer by kbwrecker Wednesday, November 26, 2014 12:52 PM
    Wednesday, November 26, 2014 12:52 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Are you importing project data from excel or from other formats? The errors may be related to the mapping and that may be an area to check

Have you tried importing just a subset of your project (13000 is pretty high and it won't help with troubleshooting)?

Paul

Thursday, October 23, 2014 9:27 PM
  • Thank you for your response Paul

The file is an MPP file - there is just the organizations resources and calendars

We have not tried to do just a subset, since the number of errors is ALMOST the exact same as the  task lines - its pretty much every line so if too just 500 it would still be around 400

I am unsure why local base calendars isnt working though... 

Friday, October 24, 2014 2:18 PM
  • Hi,

Which project server version are you using and what steps do you follow to save the mpp to the project server?

I assume you just open MS Project, connect to the project server instance then open your project file and save it to the server?

Paul

Friday, October 24, 2014 2:56 PM
  • Version: The version of Project Server is 2010

Steps: The user opens up the project in Project Professional =>

The import project wizard is opened =>  
    On step 2 of the Process the import project wizard states there are 80/80 resources/errors.  The errors are "Invalid Base Calendar" =>
    On Step 4 on the confirm tasks we get 11,000 /12,000 tasks have errors.  The error is "The calendar for this task is invalid"

Overall Process: We recommend to our users, to use the import tool so they can clear any errors

To clarify my initial question - we are trying to figure out why the local base calendars ("Allow projects to use local base calendars") functionality does not work.  When this option was enabled the errors mentioned above - we still received the calendar errors.

Hopefully this clarifies some of the issues we are having and can come to a resolution with this... 

Tuesday, October 28, 2014 1:47 PM
  • I do not recommend allowing or using local calendars. Understand that this permission gives the PM the ability to apply a local base calendar at the project level, not to a resource. Resources in Enterprise resource pool must use an enterprise calendar. So, you must select the enterprise calendar during the import process if you are also importing the resources, otherwise they must remain as local resources.

Again, allowing local base calendars can defeat the control you are trying to establish by using Project Server.

Gary Chefetz, MCITP, MCP, MVP msProjectExperts
    Project and Project ServerFAQs
    Project Server Help BLOG

Wednesday, November 5, 2014 1:41 PM
  • Gary:

My bad for getting back so late - I have been working on a different task..

thanks for the reply - not the answer I want to hear (nothing wrong with yours want to go further down the rabbit hole) since we have SOOOO many calendars we'd have to generate especially since we have new teams/orgs joining us quite often

We have a new team that is looking to come move their projects from one product to Project Server - they have their own resources, calendars, etc.  Again, this group has a HUGE list of activities and we want to minimize the pain on both sides.  

Is there any way to deal with several (ex: 100's of calendars) calendars without having to input them all manually??  There has to be a better way.. is it possible through an API/PSI/code?  

Thank you for your help

kbwrecker

Friday, November 21, 2014 11:39 AM
  • I was told by another team member what the issue(and resolution) was with local base calendars...

First you have to enable the check box in the PWA server 

NEXT you have to have the user import their own calendar via Project Professional...the user will have to manager all their own calendars... We thought Project Professional was smart enough to import the calendars from the project not have the user do all the work.

I'm surprised that this little detail was overlooked and that establishing/adding the calendar via the Project Professional was  the little detail that was necessary for us to solve this.

Thanks for the help from everyone ...

• Marked as answer by kbwrecker Wednesday, November 26, 2014 12:52 PM
    Wednesday, November 26, 2014 12:52 PM