synchronization with SQL Server 2008 Express RRS feed

• Question

•  

hello all,

I am looking to create an application for a mobile device that will be occasionally connected to the internet. The mobile device will have a .NET application using a SQL server compact edition database. WHen it is connected to the internet it should pull a few tables and push one table (or synchronise with them) over the internet. The data pushed is only newly inserted data so it can never happen that 2 different users update the same record.

The backend will be a SQL server 2008 Express database (at least, I think this will be the best option).

I am new to all this synchronisation stuff but some research led me to 2 options:

* RDA: but this will no longer be supported in the future and the only tutorials I could find were for SQL server 2005 express and they don't seem to work for the 2008 version.

* Synchronization Services for ADO.Net: I don't seem to be able to find any information on how to get this configured and working for mobile appliances. Is it even possible when using the Express version?

If anyone could point me in the right direction for this (configuration and programming) I'd be very gratefull!

Tuesday, September 2, 2008 1:41 PM

Answers

• I believe recent updates to the Sync Framework do allow for use of SQL Express as the Server but you'll have better luck asking this question in the Replication forum as that is the team that has done the Sync Services work for SQL Server. You can find it at http://forums.microsoft.com/MSDN/ShowForum.aspx?ForumID=90&SiteID=1.

Regards,
    Mike
    Thursday, September 4, 2008 2:48 AM

All replies

• I believe recent updates to the Sync Framework do allow for use of SQL Express as the Server but you'll have better luck asking this question in the Replication forum as that is the team that has done the Sync Services work for SQL Server. You can find it at http://forums.microsoft.com/MSDN/ShowForum.aspx?ForumID=90&SiteID=1.

Regards,
    Mike
    Thursday, September 4, 2008 2:48 AM
  • thx, seeing that (short) development time is very important I've decided to stick to RDA (finally got it configured too).

Friday, September 5, 2008 1:42 PM