EMET v4.1 not installing on Windows 7 x64 RRS feed

• Question

• We are testing EMET v4.1 in our environment, and I created a package in SCCM 2007 using the recommended command line from the documentation: msiexec /i "EMETSetupv4.1.msi" /qn /norestart

When pushed to a Windows XP x32 system via sccm it worked fine to install, and then we configured the settings using the custom ADMX template, and everything is working great.

When pushed to our Windows 7 x64 system's via SCCM it keeps failing, so I tried installing manually and we get the message:

"The advertised application will not be installed because it might be unsafe. Contact your administrator to change the installation user interface option of the package to basic"

Does anyone know why the EMET msi is causing this when set to install using the /qn switch? We use this switch to install many other .msi's via SCCM and have never had this issue before, this seems very weird with a Microsoft branded .MSI.

I changed the /qn to /qb as the message indicates and then we get a message that .net 4 framework is not installed. We have the Microsoft .NET Framework 4 Client Profile (4.0.30319) installed on our Windows 7 x64 image, I don't see any guidance regarding exactly what version of .net framework is required, does anyone know if the full/extended version is needed or a newer version?

Tuesday, April 29, 2014 2:22 AM

All replies

• I am experiencing the exact same error message when testing the EMET 4.1 deployment using the same recommended msiexec switches.  My test systems also have the .NET Framework 4 client Profile installed.  Though the file from Microsoft that I downloaded is simply called "EMET Setup.msi".  Did you ever hear any response regarding this error?
    Wednesday, April 30, 2014 11:52 AM
  • It's the same file, I just renamed it to include the v4.1 to tell it apart from other versions. I have not yet heard anything back, but hopefully someone will answer from MS soon, we are using all Microsoft products for this.
    Wednesday, April 30, 2014 3:59 PM
  • If you choose "unblock" from the MSI's file properties dialog, redistribute to your DPs, and try to install again, does the issue go away?

Jason | http://blog.configmgrftw.com

Wednesday, April 30, 2014 6:11 PM
  • If you choose "unblock" from the MSI's file properties dialog, redistribute to your DPs, and try to install again, does the issue go away?

Jason | http://blog.configmgrftw.com

I did notice this on the MSI, I will try this and see if it makes a difference. However I did try to just install it locally using the same switches, with the MSI having been unblocked and I still got the same thing. But I will double check this.

Also does anyone have any insight on what .net is required for EMET? I'm going to try the Full .Net 4 framework, since we only have the client profile installed right now.

Friday, May 2, 2014 9:17 PM