How to use trunk translation rule to act on ext= RRS feed

• Question

• I am attempting to set up a trunk translation rule to modify outbound digits formatted with ext=.

What I am normalizing internal extensions to in Lync is +12223334444;ext=5554444. I need to set up a translation rule to send my gateway 5554444. I'm having trouble figuring out how to write the matching pattern in regex that will match this.

My current approach is to write the matching pattern like ^\+(\d{11}).....(\d{7}), but I'm not crazy about masking the ";ext=" by using the wildcard.

Operating on ";ext=xxxxxxx" seems like it would be a common use for the trunk translations in Lync, but I can't seem to find anything about it.

Tuesday, September 27, 2011 9:04 PM

Answers

• Hey,

Does this not work as a rule?

^\+\d{11};ext=(\d{7})$ --> $1

Ken

http://ucken.blogspot.com

• Proposed as answer by Adminiuga Wednesday, October 5, 2011 2:58 AM
    • Marked as answer by Sean_Xiao Thursday, October 6, 2011 8:21 AM
    Tuesday, October 4, 2011 2:41 PM
  • hi,

Try not to use "ext=" to rout traffic to the gateway. it's there for a scenario like if you want to use RCC with a legacy PBX or if the UM attendant want to transfer calls to users "extention"

try manipulating the +12223334444 part. try a pattern like ^\+1222\d{3}(\d{4})$ and translation rule 555$1.

BTW when the mediation server sends INVITE messages to the gateway, by default it sends the extension number in the string.

Thamara.

• Proposed as answer by Sean_Xiao Wednesday, September 28, 2011 9:03 AM
    Wednesday, September 28, 2011 2:30 AM
  • If you want the gateway to resolve this, you need to enter a parameter. Here's some direcitons I have provided in the past:

I suggest the Translation rule. In order for the Audiocodes Gateway to interpret a Private Numbering plan, you have to set the ENABLEMICROSOFTEXT =  1  via the link below

Set ENABLEMICROSOFTEXT to 1 - this is accessed through http://<gw-ip>/ AdminPage.

Burn then Reset the gateway. It is highly recommended to save the INI file prior to this change.

What does this change? When the Mediation Server sends the Private Numbering Plan, it will send the Calling Number and/or the Called number to +16305551212;ext=1212 to match the TELURI. With this option enabled, the Audiocodes Gateway will modify the Called Number to “e+1630255512121212". You can create a manipulation rule. Even though the Calling Number may also be a Private Number, it will only display the “+16305551212”, so this will not display the complete Private Number for identifying the caller, but most PBX or PSTN providers would not display this information anyways.

• Marked as answer by Sean_Xiao Thursday, October 6, 2011 8:22 AM
    Thursday, October 6, 2011 12:28 AM

All replies

• hi,

Try not to use "ext=" to rout traffic to the gateway. it's there for a scenario like if you want to use RCC with a legacy PBX or if the UM attendant want to transfer calls to users "extention"

try manipulating the +12223334444 part. try a pattern like ^\+1222\d{3}(\d{4})$ and translation rule 555$1.

BTW when the mediation server sends INVITE messages to the gateway, by default it sends the extension number in the string.

Thamara.

• Proposed as answer by Sean_Xiao Wednesday, September 28, 2011 9:03 AM
    Wednesday, September 28, 2011 2:30 AM
  • Thanks for your reply, Thamara.

Microsoft recommends using the ext= format for all numbers in Lync. Its required if you want users' extensions auto-populated for dial in conferencing. 

I'm not trying to use the trunk translation to route. I'm using it for what I believe is its intended purpose which is to translate digits to what my gateway or PBX needs to see in order to route calls.

My problem here is that I've already written a complex set of normalization rules to meet my customer's complicated dialplan. You are correct that Lync will send the ext= to the gateway in the dial string, so I was initially attempting to manipulate it there, but I'm using an audiocodes which doesn't handle the ext= well. So, I figured, why not use the new trunk translation feature in Lync.

I need to leverage what I'm placing after the ext=. Duplicating everything I've already done in my normalization rules will be ridiculous. The bottom line is that the gateway needs to receive what follows ext=.

Regards

Wednesday, September 28, 2011 4:04 AM
  • Hey,

Does this not work as a rule?

^\+\d{11};ext=(\d{7})$ --> $1

Ken

http://ucken.blogspot.com

• Proposed as answer by Adminiuga Wednesday, October 5, 2011 2:58 AM
    Tuesday, October 4, 2011 2:41 PM
  • If you want the gateway to resolve this, you need to enter a parameter. Here's some direcitons I have provided in the past:

I suggest the Translation rule. In order for the Audiocodes Gateway to interpret a Private Numbering plan, you have to set the ENABLEMICROSOFTEXT =  1  via the link below

Set ENABLEMICROSOFTEXT to 1 - this is accessed through http://<gw-ip>/ AdminPage.

Burn then Reset the gateway. It is highly recommended to save the INI file prior to this change.

What does this change? When the Mediation Server sends the Private Numbering Plan, it will send the Calling Number and/or the Called number to +16305551212;ext=1212 to match the TELURI. With this option enabled, the Audiocodes Gateway will modify the Called Number to “e+1630255512121212". You can create a manipulation rule. Even though the Calling Number may also be a Private Number, it will only display the “+16305551212”, so this will not display the complete Private Number for identifying the caller, but most PBX or PSTN providers would not display this information anyways.

• Marked as answer by Sean_Xiao Thursday, October 6, 2011 8:22 AM
    Thursday, October 6, 2011 12:28 AM