none
Long Press Power Button RRS feed

• Question

• When I started to repair PC problems from that date till now I'm getting one common solution for most of my 90% of problems that was "TURN OFF PC , REMOVE BATTERY LONG PRESS POWER BUTTON FOR 20 SECONDS THAN PUT BATTERY AND TURN ON PROBLEM SOLVED" But this solution works for me only few times. So please anybody say what this really means? What happens to PC if we do this? Why Are they posting this same solution for most problems?
    Thursday, March 21, 2019 2:47 PM

All replies

• Greetings!

The goal of doing this is to do an electrical purge in the circuit.
    By closing the main electrical circuit without having power supply (except CMOS battery, when having), you purge remaining electric in the components. So when you put power supply again and start the computer, you start from a relative zero. If a MOFSET is delivering a wrong electric signal, or the super I/O chip got stuck in a bad sleep state, even CPU (common problem with first implementation of C5 state back to 2008), the operation should correct it. When it's not physically damaged.

But one bad return of doing this repeatedly is a premature wear of the principal MOFSET in charge of handling the power supply (P and N channels)
    • Edited by Arklenski Thursday, March 21, 2019 6:33 PM
    Thursday, March 21, 2019 6:31 PM
  • Hi,

Most power buttons simply cause two pieces of metal to touch when you press the button. This completes a circuit. Pressing and holding the power button for 20 seconds will drain residual power.

Hope these can help you. If you have any questions, please feel free to contact us.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, March 22, 2019 2:29 AM
  • Hi,

Was your issue solved?

If yes, would you like to share your solution in order that other community members could find the helpful reply quickly.

If no, please reply and tell us the current situation in order to provide further help.

Best

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, March 27, 2019 8:56 AM