Folder - only read RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I have deployed adrms in a windows server 2008 r2. I have to restrict a folder on my file server. That folder ans subfolders can only be readed( no print, no copy,etc)

it is possible? how can i do it?

thanks

Friday, May 10, 2013 8:30 PM

Answers

• You could check bulk protection tool and FCI, see http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff625714(v=WS.10).aspx for more information.

Martin

• Marked as answer by exitista Thursday, May 16, 2013 3:27 PM
    Saturday, May 11, 2013 6:55 AM
  • Hi Exitista -

Martin's suggestion is correct; you can use AD RMS and FCI to automatically protect documents stored in particular folders.  The URL will help you set this up, though you will choose the Folder Classifier option in FCI (rather than the Content Classifier option).  FCI is a feature in File Server Resource Manager, which is a Server Role in Windows Server 2008 R2 and later. 

Here's a summary of the process (these steps are within the link provided by Martin):

• Create a rights policy template that prevents users from printing and copying
    • Install FSRM on your file servers
    • Configure FCI to integrate with AD RMS
    • In FCI, create the necessary properties
    • In FCI, create a classification rule to protect all files within your desired scope (folder and sub folders)
    • Run the file management task on a schedule
    • FCI will then automatically scan the scope for unprotected files

Thanks!

Micah LaNasa (Synergy Advisors)

synergyadvisors.biz

@SynergySEC

Wednesday, May 15, 2013 5:04 PM

All replies

• You could check bulk protection tool and FCI, see http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff625714(v=WS.10).aspx for more information.

Martin

Saturday, May 11, 2013 6:55 AM
  • thanks martin,

i need a link where explain how to restrict the permissions to a folder in the file server. 

thanks

Tuesday, May 14, 2013 1:58 PM
  • Hi Exitista -

Martin's suggestion is correct; you can use AD RMS and FCI to automatically protect documents stored in particular folders.  The URL will help you set this up, though you will choose the Folder Classifier option in FCI (rather than the Content Classifier option).  FCI is a feature in File Server Resource Manager, which is a Server Role in Windows Server 2008 R2 and later. 

Here's a summary of the process (these steps are within the link provided by Martin):

• Create a rights policy template that prevents users from printing and copying
    • Install FSRM on your file servers
    • Configure FCI to integrate with AD RMS
    • In FCI, create the necessary properties
    • In FCI, create a classification rule to protect all files within your desired scope (folder and sub folders)
    • Run the file management task on a schedule
    • FCI will then automatically scan the scope for unprotected files

Thanks!

Micah LaNasa (Synergy Advisors)

synergyadvisors.biz

@SynergySEC

Wednesday, May 15, 2013 5:04 PM