none
Internet Explorer 11 Compatibility View Settings RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I just started to do IT support for this company.  It is a Healthcare facility that uses a web based application to do patent charting.  This application requires IE 7 to run correctly, and all the computer use IE 11.   This issue is solved by adding the top level URL to the compatibility View List.

My Issue is this.  These settings are not computer based, but are based off of each user that uses the computer.  I have many different computers that have many different users using each computer.  The number one Support call I get is "I can't get into visions" and it is because this setting has been reset somehow, or was never set for this user on this computer.  

I have set up a Group Policy as Compatibility View is supported, but this has not worked.  I found out that IE 11 doesn't support these Group Policies.

I would like some help with a different approach to using Group Policy to make sure that this website is always in the compatibility View List.

Server: Windows 2012

Clients: Windows 7/8.1

Internet Explorer: Version 11

Friday, January 2, 2015 3:38 PM

Answers

• Yes, you will want to use enterprise mode. See this link for more info. Also as of November update roll-ups for IE 11 you can now specify your document type through enterprise mode.

Some gotchas you want to look at as you deploy. I currently do mine via an .xml file in the sysvol folder since we are a global company. So in GPO you can specify a \\servname location to the file. It doesn't have to be delivered via HTTP.

Second, when you make changes to the base xml it should auto version up, for me it doesn't so i have to manually revision the file to the next version. This revision ID within the xml is what is used to refresh the clients. Refreshing works only when IE is first opened and it will attempt to check the list in 60 seconds.

Friday, January 2, 2015 4:07 PM
  • Hello ZeroThirtySeven,

Do you mean that you want to use group policy to make users can visit the web application in Internet Explorer version 7?

Enterprise Mode, a compatibility mode that runs on Internet Explorer 11 on Windows 8.1 Update and Windows 7 devices, lets websites render using a modified browser configuration that’s designed to emulate Internet Explorer 8.

We could check if the web application can run in the Enterprise mode.
    If it can, please take a look at the following article to use group policy to turn on Enterprise Mode.
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dn640699.aspx

Please take a look at the following thread about set IE compatibility mode by group policy.
    https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windowsserver/en-US/95c0b8e6-72b5-472f-a5cb-07b17a8294a1/ie-compatibility-mode-not-applying-via-group-policy

Best regards,
    Fangzhou CHEN

Fangzhou CHEN
    TechNet Community Support

Tuesday, January 6, 2015 8:40 AM

All replies

• Yes, you will want to use enterprise mode. See this link for more info. Also as of November update roll-ups for IE 11 you can now specify your document type through enterprise mode.

Some gotchas you want to look at as you deploy. I currently do mine via an .xml file in the sysvol folder since we are a global company. So in GPO you can specify a \\servname location to the file. It doesn't have to be delivered via HTTP.

Second, when you make changes to the base xml it should auto version up, for me it doesn't so i have to manually revision the file to the next version. This revision ID within the xml is what is used to refresh the clients. Refreshing works only when IE is first opened and it will attempt to check the list in 60 seconds.

Friday, January 2, 2015 4:07 PM
  • Hello ZeroThirtySeven,

Do you mean that you want to use group policy to make users can visit the web application in Internet Explorer version 7?

Enterprise Mode, a compatibility mode that runs on Internet Explorer 11 on Windows 8.1 Update and Windows 7 devices, lets websites render using a modified browser configuration that’s designed to emulate Internet Explorer 8.

We could check if the web application can run in the Enterprise mode.
    If it can, please take a look at the following article to use group policy to turn on Enterprise Mode.
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dn640699.aspx

Please take a look at the following thread about set IE compatibility mode by group policy.
    https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windowsserver/en-US/95c0b8e6-72b5-472f-a5cb-07b17a8294a1/ie-compatibility-mode-not-applying-via-group-policy

Best regards,
    Fangzhou CHEN

Fangzhou CHEN
    TechNet Community Support

Tuesday, January 6, 2015 8:40 AM
  • Thanks!  It took me a lot of searching to find that Compatibility mode in IE 11 could not be managed Via Group Policy, and I thought that odd.  So then I was looking for answers as to why they would shut it off, and I must not have been looking in the right places because Enterprise Mode never came up in my searches.

Best part is that the users can't remove the domain from Compatibility View, while still being able to add other Domains that they might need to add.

Tuesday, January 6, 2015 2:04 PM
  • Thanks for the reply, after setting up the Enterprise mode, everything is working great.
    Tuesday, January 6, 2015 2:05 PM
  • Anytime man! Glad it worked out for you.
    Tuesday, January 6, 2015 4:01 PM