SCCM 2012 Licensing RRS feed

  • General discussion

  • Hi,

    1) I am planning for Migration from SMS 2003-SCCM 2012. I have an

    SA( Software Assurance) for System Center Configuration Manager Client ML for 2012, Do I need to purchase the Server ML Edition for the server ? If yes does it cover the SQL Server Standard edition ?

    or Do I need to purchase the SQL licenses separately ?

    2) Also I am planning to move to Windows Server - Standard 2008 Release 2- My Volume Licensing Service Center catalog says I have some xyz number in the effective quantity and none in unresolved and active SA , what does that mean ? any ideas ?

    3) As there is no Direct path for migration I am moving to SCCM 2007 and then Migrating to SCCM 2012 . The transition period will be 2-3 weeks and I don't want to invest in purchasing any license here how do I go about it without purchasing license ?

    Any Suggestions is highly appreciated !


    Murali Krishna V.S

    Tuesday, December 11, 2012 11:56 AM

All replies

  • 1. Just to clarify, ML = Management License and is for all of the systems that will be managed by ConfigMgr. MLs are not for the servers running ConfigMgr roles/components (unless of course you will be managing those server OSes with ConfigMgr). For the server roles/components, there is no additional licensing needed as long as you have "some" MLs and yes SQL Server *standard* is included -- note this SQL Server license is only for use with System Center/ConfigMgr though and its associated databases.

    2. ?

    3. Not sure what you mean. Extra licenses for what? Licensing is based on number of managed devices -- the migration doesn't affect this.

    This System Center licensing datasheet is very good (IMO): http://download.microsoft.com/download/1/1/1/11128EC7-2BE7-480C-9D46-4ECECA9E481A/System%20Center%202012%20Licensing%20Datasheet.pdf

    Jason | http://blog.configmgrftw.com

    Tuesday, December 11, 2012 1:41 PM
  • Okay, So If for example I have a primary site and a DP and I am not managing any SCCM Operations for patching, software Distribution, Inventory on servers . The only scope is managing clients(Workstations). I already have Clients covered under my SA(Software Assurance). What type of license do you think I need for the primary and DP in this example.

    Murali Krishna V.S

    Wednesday, December 12, 2012 9:28 AM
  • None really. Technically there is a license, but it comes free of cost as long as the systems you are managing are properly licensed.

    Jason | http://blog.configmgrftw.com

    Wednesday, December 12, 2012 2:02 PM
  • No Need for SQL License aswell for the above scenerio ?

    Murali Krishna V.S

    Thursday, December 13, 2012 12:07 PM
  • Same answer. Yes there is license, no you do not have to pay for it as it is included free of charge -- SQL Standard only though.

    Jason | http://blog.configmgrftw.com

    Thursday, December 13, 2012 7:06 PM