none
SharePoint Online - Login prompt when adding new apps

Question

• I've noticed that some apps trigger a login prompt when you add them from the SharePoint Store. From what I can tell this seems to be due to some applications requiring authorisation of a Microsoft ID (thus your Office 365 account simply doesn't cut it). Apparently this is merely to trigger the installation, and afterwards the application won't be correlated to your private account.

My question is whether anyone knows why exactly it needs a Microsoft ID for authorisation if it's basically doing nothing with it beyond the install?

I'd also like to know if there's any workaround to this issue as I'd prefer to not have this linked to my personal account, nor have to setup more accounts to keep track of for administrating the SharePoint domain.

Tuesday, September 6, 2016 9:01 AM

Answers

All replies

• Hi Darren Elmy,

No, it is impossible. SharePoint Add-ins are security principals that need to be authenticated and authorized. When the add-in is designed to be launched from within SharePoint, the add-in installation infrastructure prompts the user who installs the add-in to grant or deny the needed permissions. Once the permissions have been granted, users of the website can use the add-in without having to re-grant it permissions. Only a website owner can install a SharePoint Add-in on a SharePoint website.

More information about authorization and authentication of SharePoint Add-ins, please read the article below.

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/office/fp142384.aspx

Best regards,

Linda Zhang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Wednesday, September 7, 2016 6:24 AM

• I understand the need to be signed in as an admin, and I am. The part that is bewildering me is why it prompts me to sign into a Windows Live account on top of this.

Kind regards,

Darren Elmy

Thursday, September 8, 2016 7:55 AM
  • Hi Darren Elmy,

We need to log in with a Microsoft Account (Windows Live ID) in order to licensing checks. If the user is not signed in to their Microsoft account, the Office application requesting the add-in home page does not append the license token parameter.

For more information, please read the following articles:

License your Office and SharePoint Add-ins.

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/office/jj163257.aspx

How licenses work for Office and SharePoint Add-ins

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/office/dn449108.aspx

Best regards,

Linda Zhang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Friday, September 9, 2016 2:17 AM
  • So, does that mean the license token belongs to the Microsoft Personal Account of the Business Account?

Kind regards

Darren Elmy

Friday, September 9, 2016 11:49 AM
  • Hi Darren Elmy,

For SharePoint Add-ins, the license token is downloaded and stored in the purchaser’s SharePoint deployment.

For more details about license token, please read the articles provided above.

Best regards,

Linda Zhang

Monday, September 19, 2016 1:37 AM