Problem while exporting reports to PowerPoint RRS feed

• Question

• In Windows Vista environment, no reports can be successfully exported from ProClarity to PowerPoint slides although just blank slides are generated.

Do we need some additional settings??

Best regards 

Tuesday, December 16, 2008 1:55 AM

All replies

• I am also experiencing issues with exporting to PowerPoint from 6.3 .2216 into Office 2003.  I get all charts when there are no charts in the book.  (It makes them up?)  I have a new user group who is counting on this feature.  I also have some users who will have Office 2007.  It looks like they will have a different problem.  Any assistance will be appreciated.

Thanks,
    Kate
    Kate Totten
    Wednesday, December 17, 2008 12:00 AM
  • The charts you are seeing are a "feature" of 6.3.  In 6.2, if you had a grid view that you were exporting to PowerPoint, it would copy and paste the data as tab-delimited text.  Unfortunately in most cases, the resulting output looked horrible.  So, instead of actually fixing it, ProClarity decided to convert grid views to chart views, thinking this would resolve the customer complaints about ugly output.  Nice, huh?  The help file "recommends" that you create a split view (chart and grid) if you actually want a grid view to show up in PowerPoint as a grid.  However, even if you do this, it will still look bad in PowerPoint because there is no simple way to get the data into a table (there is no "Convert Text to Table" option in PowerPoint).  Although it is painful, I would recommend you copy and paste the views into Excel first and then manually copy and paste the Excel tables into PowerPoint.  Unfortunately, ProClarity's Export features leave a lot to be desired!

Jason
    BTG Services
    Wednesday, December 17, 2008 4:26 PM
  • Yes. In Windows XP environment, the charts have been exported to PowerPoint slides although it looks so ugly.

In Windows Vista, however, those charts have NEVER been exported to slides. All the slides remain blank....

Do you know any workaround..?? It might be some security settings....

Best regards,
    Mats
    Thursday, December 18, 2008 4:04 PM
  • Mats,

The problem you are seeing with Vista is definitely something that the ProClarity Support team will have to help you with.  I am running Windows Vista Business, ProClarity 6.3.2216.168 and PowerPoint 2007.  The Export works just fine on my machine (don't you just hate that kind of answer :).  I know the Support personnel are on this forum so hopefully they can provide some insight.

Prior to ProClarity 6.3, there was the option of exporting Active or Static content.  If you chose Active content, you had to make sure that the PowerPoint Security settings allowed programmatic access to the VBA Project.  I think Microsoft turned off this feature by default beginning in Office 2003.  If you are using ProClarity 6.2 or earlier and you are trying to export Active content, then this might be your problem.  In PowerPoint 2007, the setting is in the Macro Settings area under the Trust Centers section of the PowerPoint Options.  In PowerPoint 2003, you should find it under the Security tab (I don't remember the exact location).

Jason
    BTG Services 

Thursday, December 18, 2008 4:42 PM
  • We don't unfortunately have a quick and easy answer for this.  Most Vista installs behave as Jason mentions, in that they work without a problem when exporting to PowerPoint.  Some however do have problems.  The best way to get it addressed is probably to open an official support case (see the link at the top of the forum for information on this).  You could though login with the local admin account and test the export to see if perhaps it's a permissions problem.  If so you can check the user profile for permissions on the machine, permissions in PowerPoint, and see if perhaps there are any domain policies that might be disallowing access to the PowerPoint application from another application (ProClarity).
    Microsoft ProClarity | This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Thursday, January 8, 2009 11:18 PM