none
Long term protection groups with the shortest period. RRS feed

• Question

• We were trying to understand long term configuration on DPM 2010 as for those tapes marked with offside ready.

Question, since we required sending the tape offside, if disaster come and we not able to access to building only able to retrieve data from offside tape.

What is the shortest period we can retrieve it?

Tuesday, February 14, 2012 2:20 AM

All replies

• Hi,

You can retrieve the last backup on the tape, if the last backup on the tape have been made the last week you lose the data of one week.

it's important to know that you need to backup DPM database to be able to use the data stored on the tape if you lose your DPM Server.

Regards,

Cordialement, Oussema FEKIH Note : Si ma réponse vous a été utile, ou apporté une résolution; merci de Voter ou de la marquer comme Utile. Best Regards, Oussema FEKIH If my reply has helped you or made a resolution, thank you to vote it as helpful or mark it as answer.

Tuesday, February 14, 2012 9:01 AM
  • So let say if disaster happen on Thursday. And Long Term backup was always start at Friday and finish on Sunday.

Mean to say I lost data from Monday to Thurday. I only can recover data from previous week which to happned backup on last Friday?

Which DPM database need to backup? Any help guide on this?

Tuesday, February 14, 2012 9:06 AM
  • Hi,

• yes you can retrieve the backup of last friday.
    • You can use a DPM server to back up its own databases to its tape library, or you can use third-party software to back up the databases to tape or removable media. Backup of the DPM databases enables you to recover the configuration of protection groups after you reinstall DPM. it is strongly recommended that you back up the DPM databases regularly, either using DPM or third-party software.
    • By default DPM Database name is : DPM DB, it is hosted on SQL Server of DPM Server

External Link : 

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff399388.aspx

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff399707.aspx

Regards,

Cordialement, Oussema FEKIH Note : Si ma réponse vous a été utile, ou apporté une résolution; merci de Voter ou de la marquer comme Utile. Best Regards, Oussema FEKIH If my reply has helped you or made a resolution, thank you to vote it as helpful or mark it as answer.

Tuesday, February 14, 2012 9:29 AM
  • Hi,

I think it is not 100% correct that you need the DPM DB Backup although it is recommended, of course.

You can import tapes even without restoring the DPM database.

See here:
    http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/dpmsetup/thread/66406ddf-6ce8-4bfa-abab-c84b275779d6

regards

/bkpfast

My postings are provided "AS IS" with no warranties and confer no rights

Tuesday, February 14, 2012 11:26 AM
  • Yes that I'm thinking too, it should able to import or "Recatalog imported tape" but perhaps this will take longer rather then import the DB back?

So back to my first question are we able to set more then one time a week for long term backup?

I do understand if data huge will take days. let assumeing can be completed within less then 24 hours.

Do I able to have full backup each day?

The problem is DPM doesn't have "Differential backup" instead using "Incremental backup".

Actually we like to use "Differential backup" send offsite as to cover everyday.

Wednesday, February 15, 2012 2:25 AM
  • Hi,

Yes, the DPM Data Base is needed to recover Disk Backup and to recover your DPM Server if you re install it, the tape backup can be imported on another DPM 2010 server.
    For long term backup to tape you can configure a backup everyday it's a Full Backup.
    You can setup a secondary DPM server on remote location to backup the first DPM, A DPM server can provide both secondary protection for another DPM server and primary protection for data sources, if data loss occurs on the file server, you can recover the data from the primary DPM server. for example If the primary DPM server fails, the secondary DPM server can continue protection of the file server while the primary DPM server is unavailable, and you can recover the databases and replicas to the rebuilt primary DPM server from the secondary DPM server.

Regards,

Wednesday, February 15, 2012 7:58 AM
  • Hi Oneoa,

yes, you can do a long term backup every day.
    In that case DPM always creates a full backup.
    What DPM does is that it creates a Snapshot on the DPM Server of the Replica of the protected server - then it kind of "mounts" and writes every single file in it to Tape for creating a full backup.
    So, big file servers with many files can take quite a long time....

It is quite hard to say what will take longer - recataloging can take some time but installing OS, HBAs, DPM with same patch level and so on will take some time too.
    In case of DR we go to recreating the DPM server or using cross protection (DPM To DPM)

kind regards

/bkpfast

Wednesday, February 15, 2012 8:30 AM
  • I thought Long term backup is was copied from short term backup?

By copying as copyset/dataset from latest full backup plus latest incremental backup?

• Edited by Oneoa Wednesday, February 15, 2012 9:33 AM
    Wednesday, February 15, 2012 9:28 AM
  • Hi,

Yes that it is quite right.
    But regarding file backup you don't have full backups anymore (but the first one).
    For files: DPM initially creates a replica ("full backup") after that it does incremental backups (synchronizations) which update the replica.
    The long term tape is then created from the updated replica as a full backup.

regards

/bkpfast

Thursday, February 16, 2012 11:07 AM