none
Synchronization Service Manager-Add Attribute RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I was wondering if someone can help me out on adding a new attribute in the FIM Metaverse. It seems that every time I try to add a new attribute to an Object Type, I keep getting this error: "Update metaverse schema failed" "Error HRESULT E_FAIL has been returned from a call to a COM component."

Has anyone else received the same error? What does this error mean?

Would highly appreciate your help, please and thank you!

Monday, May 4, 2015 1:55 PM

All replies

• The Metaverse has a few limitations. It could be failing because of the # of attributes. When you add an attribute it literally adds columns to several tables. You could look and see if the attribute column exists. What data type is it?

Do you have the FIM Service installed too? When you update the FIM Schema it also updates some corresponding data in the FIM Service.

I would also look in the Event Log on the FIM Sync server. It may have some more clues.

David Lundell, Get your copy of FIM Best Practices Volume 1 http://blog.ilmbestpractices.com/2010/08/book-is-here-fim-best-practices-volume.html

• Proposed as answer by UNIFYBobMVP Saturday, May 30, 2015 5:12 PM
    Wednesday, May 6, 2015 12:58 AM
  • I have seen this error myself, and in one case it was when trying to add an attribute that already existed but with letters in a different case combination - e.g. trying to add ObjectSID when there was already an ObjectSid attribute will fail as you have described if I recall correctly.

Bob Bradley (FIMBob @ TheFIMTeam.com) ... now using FIM Event Broker for just-in-time delivery of FIM 2010 policy via the sync engine, and continuous compliance for FIM

• Proposed as answer by Nosh Mernacaj Wednesday, June 3, 2015 6:26 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by Nosh Mernacaj Wednesday, June 3, 2015 6:26 PM
    Saturday, May 30, 2015 5:14 PM
  • That makes sense. When you add a non-reference, single valued attribute it is creating a new column in mms_metaverse and the collation used for SQL system names is not usually case sensitive. So that would kick back that error.

David Lundell, Get your copy of FIM Best Practices Volume 1 http://blog.ilmbestpractices.com/2010/08/book-is-here-fim-best-practices-volume.html

Monday, June 1, 2015 6:35 AM
  • I am running into the same issue.

Update metaverse schema failed.

Error HRESULT E_FAIL has been returned from a call to a COM component.  I am following a walkthrough on "Creating and Binding Custom Portal Attributes" on Microsoft's website.  I would show a link, but I am not "trusted" yet.

The data type is String (indexable)

Any other tips on how to fix the issue?

Friday, July 1, 2016 4:24 PM
  • Try restarting FIM Synchronizatoin Service

Did my post help? Please use "Vote As Helpful", "Mark as answer" or "Propose as answer". Thank you!

Friday, July 1, 2016 5:12 PM
  • When you have the FIM Service installed, changes made to the Sync engine configuration get written to the FIM service to the ma-data or as in this case the mv-data object. I wonder if that is what is failing.

Search requests to see if it is failing when it hits FIM Service.

I would also advise engaging your DBA to run SQL Profiler against both the FIM Sync and Service databases. See if it is creating the column in the Metaverse table, see if it is updating the mv-data object.

You could also trace the FIM webservice to see if it is making the request to update the mv-data object. These requests are quite large.

Saturday, July 2, 2016 12:02 AM