Windows 10 computer not starting, Please help RRS feed

• Question

• Hello, 

I’m kind of desperate right now and I was wondering if anybody could tell me what is going on. For my studies, I had to map an O drive onto my computer using a vpn, afterwards I had to access some files and download a software. This was all provided through my institute. Afterwards, when I double clicked on the file icon which I brought to my desktop from the files area, my computer took a long time loading so I shut it down and it made a loud whirring sound,p. Now often when I start it, it makes a loud whirring sound and 5 beeps. Then it doesn’t start until I wait for 20 minutes or so. The light on the computer has changed red and the network drive I used to download the software in the “This PC” section has a red X on it. 

• Edited by Sallyhhhh Saturday, April 25, 2020 4:19 AM
    Saturday, April 25, 2020 4:18 AM

All replies

• Hello,

To fix system not starting issue, try repairing boot records, using these steps:

1. Start your Windows 10 machine, and quickly shut it down before it reaches or if it is at boot screen. Do this two times repeatedly.

2. On the third time, Windows 10 will automatically display 'Your PC couldn't start properly' message. Now press Esc key for recovery options.

3. Then under Choose an option screen, click Troubleshoot option and now click Advanced options option.

4. Under Advanced options screen, click Command Prompt.

5. Type following commands one-by-one and press Enter key after each:

BOOTREC /SCANOS

BOOTREC /FIXMBR

BOOTREC /FIXBOOT

BOOTREC /REBUILDBCD

6. Close Command Prompt and see if issue is resolved now.

Reference: https://www.kapilarya.com/fix-windows-10-master-boot-record-corrupted

For issue with mapped drive, see this fix:

https://www.kapilarya.com/fix-mapped-drives-not-working-in-windows-10-v1809

Let us know if this helps!

Note: Included links in this reply refers to blog posts by a trusted Microsoft MVP. 

Microsoft MVP (Windows and Devices for IT)

Windows Insider MVP

Windows Help & Support [www.kapilarya.com]

Saturday, April 25, 2020 8:30 AM
  • Hi,
    I suggest you run troubleshooting
    Settings-Update & Security-Troubleshooting-shared Folders

Hope above information can help you.

If the reply helped you, please remember to mark it as an answer.

Best regards,

Mandy jin

"Windows 10 Installation, Setup, and Deployment" forum will be migrating to a new home on Microsoft Q&A (Preview)!
    We invite you to post new questions in the "Windows 10 Installation, Setup, and Deployment" forum’s new home on Microsoft Q&A (Preview)!
    For more information, please refer to the sticky post.

Monday, April 27, 2020 8:35 AM
  • HI,

Each brand of beep represents different symptoms.

I found some related information and troubleshooting for you.

please refer toComputer POST and beep codes

Hope above information can help you.

Best regards,

Mandy Jin

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    "Windows 10 Installation, Setup, and Deployment" forum will be migrating to a new home on Microsoft Q&A (Preview)!
    We invite you to post new questions in the "Windows 10 Installation, Setup, and Deployment" forum’s new home on Microsoft Q&A (Preview)!
    For more information, please refer to the sticky post.

Wednesday, April 29, 2020 2:56 AM