none
Project 2010 Reporting RRS feed

• Question

• Using MS Project 2010 to define project tasks and timelines and would like to know how if there is an easier way to forecast cash flow payments without adding tasks for each payment?  I am looking for "spend" dollars not committed, i.e. 30 days after event.

Problem:

We have equipment purchases that require multiple payments, i.e downpayment, design review, Acceptance Test, Delivery, installation & retainage.  percentages vary based on vendor but concept is the same.

Currently I'm setting up a single resource for the equipment and associated unit price and using individual tasks to represent each payment with appropriate resource percentage to mimic payment percentage.  I typically set up the resouce accrual type to be "End".

The reporting feature is great, but I would like to minimize the number of tasks.

Saturday, April 6, 2013 3:04 PM

All replies

• Bill-JH,

Project isn't an accounting application and that's kinda what you need. However, I also note that each of the "steps" listed is really a milestone or task. Downpayment and delivery are milestones and design review, acceptance test, installation and "retainage" (whatever that means) are all tasks. In that regard, they should all be set up as separate tasks/milestones with the appropriate work or cost resource, basically what you are already doing.

If your heart is set on trying to do it all on one line I suppose you could use extra cost fields to show the separate cash flow payments. They will not however feed into the normal Cost field and they will not be timescaled.

Hope this helps.

John

• Proposed as answer by Ismet Kocaman Wednesday, April 24, 2013 5:14 PM
    Saturday, April 6, 2013 4:31 PM