none
automate account user sync between project server and sharepoint RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, is there an out of the box capability to automatically have a project server user account created when the sharepoint site access is granted? If so what type of security considerations need to be taken?
    Wednesday, April 13, 2011 9:21 PM

Answers

• I am not sure when you say "Sharepoint site Access" does it mean project workspace or you are referring to sharepoint side outside Project Server Context

Perhaps a quick solution would be to have a common AD group built which would add users to sharepoint site and you can have the same AD group be configured in project server for AD synchronization, so essentially you just need to add user to the AD group instead of adding him to both places specifically, now when you add the user to AD group on sharepoint it would get permission and would sync to project server and create access for him,

Now from security perspective, you can moderate the level of permission on sharepoint site towards the AD group, and project server group moderates the project server security level, where the same AD group would be synchronizing

BUT if you are talking of Project workspace then would like to undertsand why would you need specific AD group to be added to Workspace as there is already a sync mechanism in place

Hope this helps

Thanks | Sunil Kr Singh | http://epmxperts.wordpress.com
    Thursday, April 14, 2011 5:55 PM

All replies

• Not sure I entirely follow.  Project Server will add users to a SharePoint
    site if that site was provisioned using Project Server.  This Technet article
    describes the mechanism:

Andrew Lavinsky [MVP] Blog: http://azlav.umtblog.com Twitter: @alavinsky
    Thursday, April 14, 2011 2:40 AM
  • To answer your question is No, its other way around Project Server user account is automatically created in sharepoint project workspace,

but you can build a customization to do so.

Regards, Sujit - MSTC
    Thursday, April 14, 2011 7:47 AM
  • I am not sure when you say "Sharepoint site Access" does it mean project workspace or you are referring to sharepoint side outside Project Server Context

Perhaps a quick solution would be to have a common AD group built which would add users to sharepoint site and you can have the same AD group be configured in project server for AD synchronization, so essentially you just need to add user to the AD group instead of adding him to both places specifically, now when you add the user to AD group on sharepoint it would get permission and would sync to project server and create access for him,

Now from security perspective, you can moderate the level of permission on sharepoint site towards the AD group, and project server group moderates the project server security level, where the same AD group would be synchronizing

BUT if you are talking of Project workspace then would like to undertsand why would you need specific AD group to be added to Workspace as there is already a sync mechanism in place

Hope this helps

Thanks | Sunil Kr Singh | http://epmxperts.wordpress.com
    Thursday, April 14, 2011 5:55 PM
  • Sunil, I'm referring to outsite project workspace.

Basically, there's a need to automate the user provisioning of project workspace. This would possibly be triggered when AD accounts are put into a particular AD security group or when a user is provisioned in SharePoint (non project workspace). Whether this requires custom work or not, I'm looking for that answer.

Friday, April 15, 2011 9:11 PM