none
Print Preview Crash RRS feed

• Question

• Help !

Just spent all morning updating file only to find MSP crashes out when I try to print preview. Fortunately I did save the file beforehand (long experience using MSP), so I haven't lost my data but it's of little use if I can't print a nice gantt chart.

I can't change the printer settings as these are grey'd out ...

Any suggestions  ?!?!? It was all working fine this morning !! I'm using MSP 2010.

Thanks

Swansea Jack

Thursday, July 25, 2013 1:22 PM

Answers

• Swansea Jack,

If things were working "fine" this morning I doubt it has anything to do with the printer or printer driver. I suspect the problem is with your file itself or with Project.

Just to cover the bases, I assume you have SP1 installed. If not, install it. There have been some issues with Print Preview in Project 2010 and unfortunately several things that crash Project 2010. Many of those have been addressed through the cumulative updates and as a second step, (after insuring SP1 is installed), you could try installing the June 2013 cumulative update, although the caution with updates is that they are not fully tested.

If you already have SP1 and the June 2013 cumulative update installed and Print Preview still causes Project to crash, try a different user profile. For some reason, Project 2010 is more susceptible to corruption of user profiles.

If that doesn't help I would try replacing your Global file by trashing your working Global and then open Project to create a new default Global. If that doesn't help, my next guess would be file corruption. Save as XML and then re-open in Project. Note: both of these items will delete any custom formatting you may have.

Hope this helps.

John

• Marked as answer by Swansea_Jack Friday, July 26, 2013 11:42 AM
    Thursday, July 25, 2013 3:27 PM

All replies

• I suspect something wrong with the printer driver. Try getting a new printer driver, try another printer, etc.  Printing is pretty much fully controlled by Windows and the printer manufacturer.

Until you get the printer fixed, to get a "nice gant chart" you can use the "copy picture" command to create a printable image (as a gif file or to clipboard). Frankly, I find this is a nicer Gantt Chart maker than direct print of Gantt.

--rms www.rmschneider.com

• Edited by Rob Schneider Thursday, July 25, 2013 2:24 PM spelling
    Thursday, July 25, 2013 2:06 PM
  • Swansea Jack,

If things were working "fine" this morning I doubt it has anything to do with the printer or printer driver. I suspect the problem is with your file itself or with Project.

Just to cover the bases, I assume you have SP1 installed. If not, install it. There have been some issues with Print Preview in Project 2010 and unfortunately several things that crash Project 2010. Many of those have been addressed through the cumulative updates and as a second step, (after insuring SP1 is installed), you could try installing the June 2013 cumulative update, although the caution with updates is that they are not fully tested.

If you already have SP1 and the June 2013 cumulative update installed and Print Preview still causes Project to crash, try a different user profile. For some reason, Project 2010 is more susceptible to corruption of user profiles.

If that doesn't help I would try replacing your Global file by trashing your working Global and then open Project to create a new default Global. If that doesn't help, my next guess would be file corruption. Save as XML and then re-open in Project. Note: both of these items will delete any custom formatting you may have.

Hope this helps.

John

• Marked as answer by Swansea_Jack Friday, July 26, 2013 11:42 AM
    Thursday, July 25, 2013 3:27 PM
  • Hi John

Thanks for your reply. I think I have all the recent SP's and updates (it's a company laptop and these should get done automatically), so I decided to save as XML and re-format - this seems to have done the trick.

Before this I did try printing to another printer - no luck

Printing other Project files to the same printer - these all printed OK

So, it does seem my file was corrupted somehow. I've recently requested installation of project 2013, will this fix these type of bugs ???

Cheers

Swansea Jack

Friday, July 26, 2013 11:47 AM
  • Swansea Jack,

You're welcome and thanks for the feedback. I wouldn't count on the company automatically updating your applications. From other postings to this forum I find that many IT departments in the corporate world are reluctant to apply the latest updates, and maybe for good reason - the latest isn't always the greatest. However in the case of Project, those of us who work with the application extensively can attest that updates, particularly service packs, are very important; cumulative updates, less so. You should go to File/Help and click on the Additional version and copyright information in the middle on the right side of the screen. If SP1 is installed it will show in the version number. The number in parentheses tells which cumulative update, if any, is installed.

Corruption is more related to user actions than to a specific Project version so what you experienced isn't a "bug". It is difficult to say how your file got corrupted without knowing a whole lot more about your file structures and how you manage the files. For example, if you are working with linked structures, (master/subproject, resource pool/sharer or external links between files), they are very sensitive and prone to corruption. Also, if you operate over a network, network glitches or even power surges at the wrong time can cause a file to get corrupted.

John

Friday, July 26, 2013 3:36 PM