none
Virus Behavior Found in Windows 10 Laptop and Windows Phone 8.1 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I recently purchased a HP Laptop with Windows 10 Home edition on Thanks Giving Day. The Laptop was pre-installed with McAfee trial software, worked for a month and expired. Since McAfee expired after a month of my Windows 10 Activation, I installed AVG Antivirus free version in its place. However, I enabled Windows defender to protect my PC before installing the AVG Anti Virus. Since I am a Microsoft Technology Stack developer, I admired Microsoft and preferred Microsoft Products. 

Two days back, that is on Jan 06, 2017, I found a strange behavior in my Laptop. The system was operating on its own. The key pad, touch screen and key board commands were hardly working. Immediately I disconnected my WiFi, uninstalled AVG Antivirus and performed a full scan of my machine with Windows Defender. The Windows Defender did not detect any virus as such it was apparent in the video I posted here and was displaying - "PC status: Protected" message. This time luckily I was able to capture the behavior using my Android Phone. I am sharing those videos here for your reference using the following link and link2.

A month before the Thanks Giving Day, I experienced exactly same behavior in my Nokia Windows 8.1 Phone as well. It also used to open my Contacts list and make phone calls or sometimes even disconnect the phone call I am talking. It used to merge the contacts. Whenever such a behavior occurred in my phone, the device did not respond to my commands. The only option I had was to switch of the Phone and WiFi. Then after sometime same behavior used to show up occasionally. When the device was quiet, I tried resetting the phone to its original factory setting state. Even that attempt did not work. Soon after I logged in with my Microsoft Account, the device used to work on its own again. In fact, I tried to reset my Phone around 4 to 5 times but nothing worked. I even tried cleaning the temp data. Some times it is dormant and some times it is active. I Binged around and read few articles that Windows Phone is a Virus Proof and hence no anti virus would be available in the Windows Store. But in my case, I strongly felt that my device was attacked and felt sad since Microsoft did not care to provide a protection to its customers. This is the reason which forced me to switch to an Android Phone and its affordability. Otherwise, I would have opted for IPhone.

Can anyone please help me resolve this issue. Will this be covered under warranty. Since, I am suspecting it as a some kind of virus attack/hack, do I need to reinstall my Laptop or return the device. I am not sure, if this attack is propagating through Microsoft Account data sync across devices (The reason for suspecting Microsoft Account is that, the latest advancements enabled the devices to sync the user data across devices. Since I logged into my new Laptop with same Account which I used for my old Windows Phone, did the virus propagated using this feature) or through WhatsApp.

Thanking you in Advance.

Video Link MP4

Video Link WMM

Regards,

Ramakrishna M

Thanks and Regards, Ramakrishna. M

Tuesday, January 10, 2017 9:28 AM

Answers

• Hi ,

After watching the video you post here, I found it does act unusual. But I cannot ensure that whether it is attacked by virus or hacked, To ensure the safety of system, I suggest you boot into safe mode and  perform a full scan with the antivirus. Also, if it is acceptable, we could backup your data, then perform a reset. You will get a brand new Windows 10 system, it should work fine.
    Recovery options in Windows 10
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-sg/help/12415/windows-10-recovery-options

Since you bought it on Thanks Giving Day, you could contact the laptop vendor to test your laptop, check if it still under warranty. They may have more resource to help you.

Best regards

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, January 11, 2017 8:18 AM

All replies

• Hi ,

After watching the video you post here, I found it does act unusual. But I cannot ensure that whether it is attacked by virus or hacked, To ensure the safety of system, I suggest you boot into safe mode and  perform a full scan with the antivirus. Also, if it is acceptable, we could backup your data, then perform a reset. You will get a brand new Windows 10 system, it should work fine.
    Recovery options in Windows 10
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-sg/help/12415/windows-10-recovery-options

Since you bought it on Thanks Giving Day, you could contact the laptop vendor to test your laptop, check if it still under warranty. They may have more resource to help you.

Best regards

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, January 11, 2017 8:18 AM
  • Hi Rick,

Thank you so much for your response.

As per your advice, I visited BestBuy along with the receipt, had a discussion with the Geek Squad, showed him the video and requested to fix the issue for me. Also asked him, whether that was a virus/hack or any hardware issue. He then responded that this is a kind of Ghost Touch issue. This normally happens with Touch Screen devices, may be due to tightened screws or various other reasons. This issue gets you a feeling that someone is touching the screen. In order to fix this issue, he gave me an ETA of 3 weeks. When asked about replacement policy, he informed me that they have extended the Return Policy date to January 15, 2017. Since the earliest was to get a replacement, I felt lucky that I came just ahead of time and choose for a new Laptop. Then they offered me with an option to choose either from the same model or all together from any other brand. Since, I already did my research, I felt that my current laptop HP Envy 360 2 in 1, i7 7th Gen, 16 GB RAM and great sound quality was the best option at this price range, choose exactly the same model and they gave me a brand new Laptop.

I would also like to conclude on Windows Phone behavior I brought in front of the readers in my original post: My Windows Phone (WP) worked great for three years. I only had one issue with it, that is, when there are repeated touch occurrences on the screen, the display suddenly becomes so big and needs a restart to become normal. This used to happen while on a phone call, interacting with it or during lock state. This must certainly be a Software Issue. After three years of WP use, I started experiencing the issue which I described in my original post and thought that it was a virus propagated through WhatsApp media share. May be after getting to know about Ghost Touch issue, I am thinking that the cause of this behavior might have been due to excessive build up of pressure points when we put in our pockets for so long or drop offs on the ground.

As of now I am hoping all is well. Will certainly update the post if I experience anything unusual. Ones again thank you all for the help.

Apart from Posting an issue here, I have also posted on answers.microsoft.com Link. Received responses from various contributors and I have updated my responses as well.

Regards,

Ramakrishna M

Thanks and Regards, Ramakrishna. M

Friday, January 13, 2017 12:43 PM