Vista 64 keep crashing RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I am using following hardware with Vista 64 bit Ultimate SP1.Debug (I dont know but its saying in my computer property)

DP35DPM
    Q9300
    Kingston 667 RAM 8GB
    Inno3d 7300GS graphics card
    SATA raid 0 250+250

It has latest BIOS updated (flashed) from Intel and latest SATA drivers for Vista 64 bit.

I have recently installed Windows Vista 64 bit on this system and the system keep crashing with bluescreen. I have done memory test from both windows memory test tool and memtest86+ and it has no problem.

One thing that I have noticed the Machine is extremely slow with this i.e. CPU gets really busy-consumed in terms of resources. I had difficulties getting into CD ROM - slow.
    I have tried the Vista 32 bit (without SP1) Virtual PC with Windows 2008 Server as host OS and it runs fine. As soon as I try to install Vista 32 bit with SP1 it wouldnt even let me install this as Virtual PC, basically same BSOD problem.

Could it be somehting to do with SP1? Or something else.

Thanks
    Preyash
    Wednesday, July 23, 2008 1:13 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Before moving on, please allow me explain background information regarding the blue screen stop problem.

What is the blue screen stop?

=====================

Generally speaking, this should actually be a blue screen stop issue or stop error issue. Windows 2000 and later (including Windows Vista) uses separated user mode and kernel mode memory space. The blue screen stop errors are always caused by kernel portion components, such as a device drivers, backup software or anti-virus services (buggy services).

To be more specific, the system goes to a blue screen because there is some exceptions happened in the kernel (a device drivers, backup software or anti-virus services, etc.), and Windows implements this mechanism: When it detects some errors occur in the kernel, it will kill the box in case some more severe damage happens. Then we get a blue screen or the system reboots (it depends on what the system settings are).

Windows 2000, Windows XP and Windows Vista act similarly when kernel mode crash problem occurs.

How to troubleshoot the blue screen stop problem?

=====================

To solid troubleshoot this kind of kernel crash issue, we need to debug the crashed system dump and analyze the related source code if needed. Unfortunately, debugging is beyond what we can do in the forum. I'd like to recommend that you contact Microsoft Customer Support Service (CSS) for assistance so that this problem can be resolved efficiently. To obtain the phone numbers for specific technology request please take a look at the web site listed below:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;EN-US;PHONENUMBERS

If you are outside the US please see http://support.microsoft.com for regional support phone numbers.

Having said that, I'd still like to provide the following general troubleshooting steps for your reference. You can try them first before calling Microsoft CSS:

Note: Please perform a complete system backup first. If any unexpected issue occurs, we can quickly restore the system to the current status.

1. Scan your system to make sure that the system is virus free. Temporarily disable your anti-virus software to see if this problem is gone.

2. If you have recently installed any software, hardware or drivers, please remove them. 

3. Disable all the third party startup programs and services by using the MSConfig.exe utility shipped with system. To use this tool, you can refer to the following Microsoft Knowledge Base article:

Q310560 How to Troubleshoot By Using the Msconfig Utility in Windows XP

http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/q310/5/60.asp

How to take a Clean Boot

===========================

1. Click Start, type "MSCONFIG" (without the quotations) in the Search Bar and Press "Enter" to start the System Configuration Utility.

2. Click the "Services" tab, check the "Hide All Microsoft Services" box and click "Disable All" (if it is not gray).

3. Click the "Startup" tab, click "Disable All" and click "OK".

4. Restart the computer and test the issue.

Note: Clean Boot is a troubleshooting step. If some programs have been disabled, we can re-enable them later. If you see the System Configuration Utility, check the box of "Don't show this message" and then click "OK".

Please monitor the system in the Clean Boot environment. If the problem does not occur, it indicates that the problem is related to one application or service we have disabled. You may use the MSCONFIG tool again to re-enable the disabled item one by one to find out the culprit.

4. However, if the issue still persists, please contact Microsoft Customer Support Service (CSS) for further troubleshooting. I hope the problem will be resolved soon.

Hope it helps.

Friday, July 25, 2008 8:24 AM