none
Replace Windows 2003 DHCP Server RRS feed

• Question

• Hi guys, I have a single Windows 2003 DHCP server with 40 scopes and looking to migrate to a windows 2012 R2. Ideally I want to migrate with as little disruption as possible and I want the client machines to maintain the IPs they have as much as possible. As such, considering the following options. Advise, caveats etc most welcome:

Option 1: Big Bang

• Reduce all client scope lease to 1 day
    • Force renew of lease (using SCCM or otherwise)
    • Create a single Windows 2012 R2 Server with DHCP Role
    • At quiet time when minimal DHCP activity, export/import DHCP DB data
    • Turn off old 2003 DHCP server
    • Change IP on new DHCP to match old server (so don't have to change IP helper anywhere)
    • Done!

Will this work? I was hoping this would amount to a straight upgrade

Option 2: Migrate per scope

• Reduce all client scope lease to 1 day
    • Force renew of lease (using SCCM or otherwise)
    • Create a single Windows 2012 R2 Server with DHCP Role
    • Use local firewall to block response to DHCP requests
    • Add new IP Helper on every VLAN
    • At quiet time when minimal DHCP activity, export/import DHCP DB data
    • Use a local firewall on old 2003 servers to block response to DHCP requests on a per scope basis
    • Open firewall on new server to allow it to service requests

Wednesday, May 18, 2016 10:48 PM

Answers

• Usually, similar activities are done outside of Business hours so that the change does not create disruptions.

I usually  do what you call a "Big Bang" and just migrate the old server completely to a new one. However, the second option would be less risky but would require more time.

Maybe it would be a good idea to plan this during the WE (I assume you have no one at work at that time) and progressively migrate and test your scopes.

This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.

Ahmed MALEK

My Website Link

My Linkedin Profile

My MVP Profile

Wednesday, May 18, 2016 11:36 PM

All replies