Application not working in windows 7 but works in Windows 10_ RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,
    I have an application that works with DA in Windows 8.1 and 10 but not in Windows 7. Anyone know why? The application works on all systems when they are on local net and not through DA. Local FW rules are the same on both systems.
    Monday, April 25, 2016 11:23 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Sharing the same settings doesn't mean that Windows 7 works like Windows 8.x / 10.
    Have you installed the recommended hotfixes for DirectAccess on Windows 7? ( https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2883952 )

Gerald

Monday, April 25, 2016 11:57 AM
  • Thanks, good idea, tried it but no progress.

Erik

Tuesday, April 26, 2016 5:02 AM
  • Actually, I have not see an application not working on Windows 7 but working on more recent OS.
    If the application can work with DNS hostnames and there's no IPv4 required, it should work.

Is this an official application or a custom made?
    What's the problem?

Gerald

Tuesday, April 26, 2016 7:44 AM
  • This is an official application but quite old. The error message is: 

Error accessing the server. It is probably not accesible.
    Either because the server is not running at all
    or due to some firewall restriction.

The detailed error message is:
    No such host is known

I can try from home this evening with a Win 10 comouter with DA and see if the application still works on that machine.

Erik

Wednesday, April 27, 2016 10:27 AM
  • That may help... If the application is not anymore working on Windows 10, it's not Windows 7's fault.

Anyway, according to the message, your application is trying to access a server.
    If it's an internal server, the client needs to be able to resolve his hostname through the NRPT tables and they are in the DirectAccess client gpo, which must be applied to all of your clients.

Have you checked that this is the case?

Gerald

Wednesday, April 27, 2016 11:29 AM
  • This app server is in the same domain and is resolvable through the NRPT. I now have one Win 7 and one Win 10 computer on the same network accessing the company through DA and the application works in Win 10 but not in Win 7, in Win 7 it blows out with the error message above.

Erik

Thursday, April 28, 2016 5:03 AM
  • If you ping the requested hostname on the Windows 7, is it converted to an IPv6 address?

If you share the DirectAccess client GPO to both clients, I can't find a reason why the hostname is resolved from the Windows 10 but not from the Windows 7.

What's the problematic application?

Gerald

Monday, May 2, 2016 1:39 PM
  • Sorry for not following up.

Yes it's converted to an IPv6 address and the clients use the same gpo's. It's an application called "ECxgate.Client".

Erik

Saturday, May 7, 2016 10:34 AM
  • Difficult to test it on my lab...

If you're sure that there's no changes in the DirectAccess configuration, maybe you should contact the manufacturer, explains the problem and see if they can explain why it doesn't work on Windows 7 only using IPv6. Maybe they can lead you to logs that will help to debug the problem.

Gerald

Wednesday, May 11, 2016 11:06 AM
  • Thank's Gerald for trying to help out. I guess I'll for now just have to upgrade the problomatic clients to Win 10 even if it's not desireble.

Erik

Friday, May 13, 2016 12:47 PM