none
DPM 1801 Cannot See Dell TL2000 Library RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I have a nice clean fresh install of Win Server 2016 and DPM 1801 with SQL 2016 SP2 local and a Dell TL2000 tape library with 2 drives, and 23 tape slots.  Everything was working perfectly before with the exact same hardware, except the OS was 2008 R2, and an older version of DPM & SQL.

Now, in DPM, there is no Tape Library and all slots are missing.  I can see 2 drives (however DPM thinks they are standalone) in DPM.  Any tips?

Similar post is here on Dell's forum in case the issue is with the tape library "Dell TL2000" a Dell/IBM driver issue (manufacturer is IBM, but Dell branded).

https://www.dell.com/community/PowerVault/TL2000-issues-on-fresh-OS/td-p/6234967

With the fresh install, the OS sees the 2 drives and labels them appropriately in Device Manager.  However, it adds two devices under "Media Changer devices" and labels them both "Unknown Media Changer" (there are two listed, not sure why).  DPM install guide says this should be fine (unless otherwise directed by manufacturer if I understood right).

With the drivers at their "default" from the OS installation and Windows Updates DPM does not display things correctly, and even not at all.  Here is what I see:

DPM > Management Tab > Libraries Section

• Stand-alone drive: IBM ULT3580-HH5 SCSI Sequential Device
    • --- Drives (In use: 0 | Idle: 1 )
    • ------- IBM ULT3580-HH5 SCSI Sequential Device
    • Stand-alone drive: IBM ULT3580-HH5 SCSI Sequential Device-2
    • --- Drives (In use: 0 | Idle: 1 )
    • ------- IBM ULT3580-HH5 SCSI Sequential Device

Saturday, December 15, 2018 7:51 AM

Answers

• I have reinstalled the OS, SQL, and DPM. The same issue occurred until I installed the Dell provided IBM non exclusive driver (I forget the exact name at the moment but if someone else is reading this that will provide enough info).  After that the OS was able to recognize the TL2000 and everything worked normally.

I did attempt to install those IBM drivers previously but maybe I did it in the wrong order or I installed the wrong one and couldn't / didn't uninstall them before trying the nonexclusive one.

Leon, I'm not marking your last suggesting as the answer because 2016 is listed in the image that you attached.

• Marked as answer by Drew.Prince Wednesday, December 19, 2018 3:14 PM
    Wednesday, December 19, 2018 3:13 PM

All replies

• Hello!

Try running the DPMDriveMappingTool.exe that can be found in the DPM installation folder on your DPM server (C:\Program Files\Microsoft System Center\DPM\DPM\bin\DPMDriveMappingTool.exe).

1. Open an elevated Command Prompt.
    2. Run the DPMDriveMappingTool.exe.
    3. Start the DPM Console.
    4. Go to Management and Libraries.
    5. Perform a rescan.

If that doesn't help, you can download and run the DPM Tape Library Compatibility Test Tool from the following link: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=54699

For Tape Library Test
    =============

Run the following command to list the libraries attached to the system:

DPMLibraryTest.exe /Certify /LL

Run the following command, where \\.\Changer# is the symbolic name of the tape library to test from the output of the /LL command.

IE: For \\.\Changer0 run:

DPMLibraryTest.exe /CERTIFY /TL \\.\Changer0 /ST 1

Below is a description of the tests being done:

Test 1: Basic Configuration
    This test will scan your system for attached devices. It will identify the libraries and the stand-alone drives attached to your system and give you a summary of what it finds. For each device, you will see a Device Name, Serial Number, Vendor Name, Product Name, Firmware Revision and SCSI properties.
    At the end of this test, the user must verify whether all the information as seen by the tool. If the information is incorrect, check the following:

• Check if all the devices are listed in Device Manager.
    • Ensure that the drivers for the devices are up-to-date.
    • If the drive mappings are incorrect, use the DPMDriveMapping.exe to correct the mappings. If you do not have DPM installed on the computer, copy the DPMLA.xml that DPMDriveMapping.exe creates to the folder to which you extracted the Tape Library Certification tool.

The Dell DL2000 is listed as a supported tape library on the list below, you might also want to try different drivers if none of the above works out for you.

System Center DPM 2012 and 2016: Compatible Tape Libraries

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/17105.system-center-dpm-2012-and-2016-compatible-tape-libraries.aspx

Best regards,
    Leon

Blog: https://thesystemcenterblog.com LinkedIn:

Saturday, December 15, 2018 11:13 AM
  • Hi Leon,

Thanks for the tips unfortunately no change.  I think because the OS doesn't see the library changer (it does see the drives for some reason), DPM just isn't going to be able to do anything.

DPM Drive Mapping Tool Results

Performing Device Inventory ...
    No Tape Library Found.Drive Mapping Failed.
    Error Code is: 0x80004004, Error Message is: Operation aborted

DPM Library Test Results

C:\Users\me\Desktop\DPM\DpmLibraryTest>DPMLibraryTest.exe /CERTIFY /LL
    Found 0 Tape Libraries
    Found 2 Standalone Drives
    ---------------- Standalone Drive Information -----------------
    Standalone DRIVE 0
              Device Name         : \\.\Tape2147483646
              Device Serialnumber : 906809wxyz
              Device Vendor Name  : IBM ULT3580-HH5 SCSI Sequential Device
              Device Product Name : LTO
              FirmWare Revision     : H971
              Device SCSI Props   : (P,B,T,L)0,0,10,0

Standalone DRIVE 1
              Device Name         : \\.\Tape2147483645
              Device Serialnumber : 10WT06wxyz
              Device Vendor Name  : IBM ULT3580-HH5 SCSI Sequential Device
              Device Product Name : LTO
              FirmWare Revision     : H971
              Device SCSI Props   : (P,B,T,L)0,0,11,0

---------------- End of Standalone Drive Information ----------

Operation completed successfully....

Sunday, December 16, 2018 1:59 AM
  • Edit: I had a look at the supported operating system versions of the Dell TL2000, and the Windows Server 2016 is supported.

Supported Operating Systems​

Reference
    https://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/04/drivers/supportedos/powervault-tl2000

• Proposed as answer by Leon Laude Wednesday, December 19, 2018 2:15 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by Drew.Prince Wednesday, December 19, 2018 3:13 PM
    • Edited by Leon Laude Wednesday, December 19, 2018 3:15 PM
    Sunday, December 16, 2018 11:04 AM
  • I have reinstalled the OS, SQL, and DPM. The same issue occurred until I installed the Dell provided IBM non exclusive driver (I forget the exact name at the moment but if someone else is reading this that will provide enough info).  After that the OS was able to recognize the TL2000 and everything worked normally.

I did attempt to install those IBM drivers previously but maybe I did it in the wrong order or I installed the wrong one and couldn't / didn't uninstall them before trying the nonexclusive one.

Leon, I'm not marking your last suggesting as the answer because 2016 is listed in the image that you attached.

• Marked as answer by Drew.Prince Wednesday, December 19, 2018 3:14 PM
    Wednesday, December 19, 2018 3:13 PM
  • Apologies, must have missed it, glad to hear you got it working!

Wednesday, December 19, 2018 3:15 PM