none
SQL 2008 R2 Cluster not showing database RRS feed

• Question

• I can't see any DB's on the cluster in DPM. I have no option "All SAL Databases" in DPM. I have checkt the vss eriter and that the SQL vss Service is running.
    Wednesday, May 18, 2011 4:45 PM

All replies

• Hi Eniac Blast,

If you open Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio and connect to your clustered SQL instance, expand Security -> Logins,  is NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM listed?

Thanks, Wilson Souza - MSFT This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights
    Wednesday, May 18, 2011 10:30 PM
  • Yes, this account has all necessary rights. I already checked this.
    Thursday, May 19, 2011 12:11 PM
  • From the active node, run the following command via CMD.EXE (with administrative privileges)

diskshadow <enter>

list writers

and look for something similar to the output below (check if your databases show up in the output below * WRITER "SqlServerWriter" )

Note: You might need to increase the CMD Screen buffer sze (height) to 9999.

With CMD.EXE opened, click on its icon on the top left and select properties. Go to the layout tab and make the change.

* WRITER "SqlServerWriter"
                   - Writer ID   = {a65faa63-5ea8-4ebc-9dbd-a0c4db26912a}
                   - Writer instance ID = {688d86b7-31da-4fa8-ae7f-3b5efe565c6f}
                   - Supports restore events = TRUE
                   - Writer restore conditions = VSS_WRE_ALWAYS
                   - Restore method = VSS_RME_RESTORE_IF_CAN_REPLACE
                   - Requires reboot after restore = FALSE
                   - Excluded files:
                   + Component "SqlServerWriter:\<SERVERNAME>\<INSTANCE>\master"
                           - Name: master
                           - Logical path: <SERVERNAME>\<INSTANCE>
                           - Full path: \<SERVERNAME>\<INSTANCE>\master
                           - Caption:
                           - Type: VSS_CT_FILEGROUP [2]
                           - Is selectable: TRUE
                           - Is top level: TRUE
                           - Notify on backup complete: TRUE
                           - Paths affected by this component:
                                   - C:\Program Files\Microsoft DPM\SQL\MSSQL10.MSDPM2010\MSSQL\DATA
                           - Volumes affected by this component:
                                   - \\?\Volume{ab047904-3d01-11de-abbd-806e6f6e6963}\ [C:\]
                           - Component Dependencies:

Thanks, Wilson Souza - MSFT This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights
    Thursday, May 19, 2011 11:16 PM
  • SQLWriter is present.
    Friday, May 20, 2011 3:47 PM
  • Hi Eniac,

At this point I do recommend you to open an incident case with Microsoft as we need to take a look into some DPM logs to check why we are not able to return any SQL datasource during the inquiry.

Friday, May 20, 2011 9:23 PM