Windows 8.1 RRS feed

• Question

• I have just upgraded to Windows 8.1 and was asked to create a Microsoft account and now when I want to use my computer I have to log in using the Microsoft account details. Previously I did not have to do this. Can I cancel this and go back to accessing my computer the way I previously did?
    Sunday, October 20, 2013 4:19 AM

Answers

• After the 8.1 upgrade is finished you can go to "Change PC settings" - Accounts and change the account back to a local account.
    • Proposed as answer by Andre.ZieglerEditor Sunday, October 20, 2013 6:14 AM
    • Marked as answer by Niki Han Monday, October 28, 2013 4:24 PM
    Sunday, October 20, 2013 5:21 AM

All replies

• Please see: Setting Windows 8 to Logon Automatically (also works with Windows 8.1)

Carey Frisch

Sunday, October 20, 2013 5:16 AM
  • After the 8.1 upgrade is finished you can go to "Change PC settings" - Accounts and change the account back to a local account.
    • Proposed as answer by Andre.ZieglerEditor Sunday, October 20, 2013 6:14 AM
    • Marked as answer by Niki Han Monday, October 28, 2013 4:24 PM
    Sunday, October 20, 2013 5:21 AM
  • Thank you very much Carey, you have been a big help
    Sunday, October 20, 2013 5:24 AM
  • Thank you very much Martin, you have been a big help
    Sunday, October 20, 2013 5:25 AM
  • You can skip the account creation process by looking for the "skip this" option on the account creation screen rather than the logon screen.  

Sorry I don't know the exact step, but I know that you have to go through one more hoop before you see the skip option, but it shows up just after you resign yourself that MS is forcing you to create an account.  

If someone is going through the setup, please look for it and pass on the exact screen you're on so it's a little clearer!

Dan

Thursday, October 31, 2013 2:51 PM