none
Windows 10 taskbar Mail Remove GPO

General discussion

• All our windows 10 pc'c which are updating to version 1703 build 15063.138 the Mail Icon app is now being pinned to taskbar, we don't want it.

How do I remove this using GPO?

Tuesday, April 18, 2017 12:27 PM

All replies

• My Problem too.

Why is MS doing that to us. I have Enterprise Version installed. 

Helloooooooo..... Business customer

Thursday, April 20, 2017 9:34 AM
  • Yes, this is very annoying. In 1607 they added a possibility to manipulate taskbar content within startlayout xml, I tried that but couldn´t make it work. It is quite frasturating to do this stuff by xml coding. I´m also waiting for a better solution to control Taskbar if MS tends to add stuff there in a future. 

Please remember to mark my post as an answer, if I really helped you out, or vote if usefull. Thank you!

Thursday, April 20, 2017 3:49 PM
  • This could give you something: http://deploymentresearch.com/Research/Post/617/Removing-Windows-Store-and-Mail-icon-from-the-Windows-10-v1703-Taskbar

Please remember to mark my post as an answer, if I really helped you out, or vote if usefull. Thank you!

Saturday, April 22, 2017 2:54 PM
  • The problem with the startlayout.xml file is that it replaces the entire set of pinned icons in the taskbar. Users can't pin their own icons any longer. Obnoxious.
    Thursday, July 6, 2017 6:36 AM
  • Deleted
    Saturday, July 29, 2017 11:13 PM
  • In Settings, go to Apps, Default Apps and set a different app for Email.

Thursday, August 3, 2017 7:44 PM
  • In Settings, go to Apps, Default Apps and set a different app for Email.

I bet these guys are looking for automation and central management, not manual input.

Since july '17 release, my start layout with modfied taskbar I used in 1607, started working in 1703.

Friday, August 4, 2017 5:44 AM
  • I remove and unprovision, post upgrade. (PS script kicked off at the end of my MDT install and upgrade Task Sequences)

If the user needs it for Active-Sync or something else later, they can reinstall it from the Microsoft Store.

'Uninstall Microsoft Mail and Calendar'

Get-AppxPackage -AllUsers *windowscommunicationsapps* | Remove-AppxPackage

'Disabling the Provisioning of Microsoft Mail and Calendar'

Get-AppxProvisionedPackage -Online | Where-Object {$_.PackageName -like "*windowscommunicationsapps*"} | Remove-AppxProvisionedPackage -Online

There's no place like 127.0.0.1

Friday, August 4, 2017 8:45 PM
  • Why the crap does MSFT put this stuff on Enterprise SKU?  And why does only uninstalling MS Mail and Calendar screw up the Store icon?!?!  But thank you, that worked great, when I ran both commands.
    Tuesday, August 15, 2017 3:52 PM
  • I ran Get-AppxProvisionedPackage -Online | Where-Object {$_.PackageName -like "*windowscommunicationsapps*"} | Remove-AppxProvisionedPackage -Online

rebooted, and mail icon is still there. Has anyone managed to remove this icon?

Thank you,

Wednesday, September 6, 2017 2:13 PM
  • We fixed it (sort of) by deploying a custom taskbar and partial start layout with one app in it. 

It removes all the MS app shortcuts and leaves user pinned ones.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/configuration/customize-and-export-start-layout

Friday, March 9, 2018 7:45 PM
  • My Problem too.

Why is MS doing that to us. I have Enterprise Version installed. 

Helloooooooo..... Business customer

Haha! Made me laugh.
    Thursday, August 9, 2018 12:03 PM
  • It did not work on Win 10 1803.

Thursday, August 30, 2018 1:56 AM
  • It did not work on Win 10 1803.

I use 1703's both PS1 scripts on 1803, no problem. 

MCSE Mobility 2018. Expert on SCCM, Windows 10 and MBAM.

Thursday, August 30, 2018 8:48 AM