Skype for Business client is not automatically creating registry entries for ProcessID and UpAndRunning RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

We have a small number of clients who are having issues with presence in Microsoft Outlook and I believe the problem has been narrowed down to the fact that for these users, Skype for Business is not creating/modifying the following registry entries when it starts:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\IM Providers\Lync\

• DWORD: ProcessId
    • Value: <this should match the current running process ID of lync.exe>

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\IM Providers\Lync

• DWORD: UpAndRunning
    • Value: 2

For testing purposes, I tried changing the values of the keys, deleting them, and a few other things, but when restarting the Skype for Business client:

• The entries get created/updated in the registry
    • In PowerShell, “Get-Process –name lync” displays the same Process ID that the DWORD value is set to in the registry.
    • Presence works in Microsoft Outlook.

The following values are already set, but are static:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\IM Providers\

• String: DefaultIMApp
    • Value: Lync

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\14.0\Common\PersonaMenu\

• DWORD: Enabled
    • Value: 1

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\14.0\Common\IM

• DWORD: TurnOffPresenceIcon
    • Value: 0
    • DWORD: TurnOffPresenceIntegration
    • Value: 0

Potentially important notes:

• We are using Outlook 2010 and Skype for Business 2015 (Microsoft Lync 2013 15.0.4841.1000) so the mismatched versions “could” be related, but I have only run across 3 people with this issue and have been unable to reproduce the problem on my system or others.  Prior to this issue, presence was working for all users.
    • All users (including myself) have had Cisco Jabber installed at one time or another, which most certainly likes to screw up registry entries related to presence (if CLICK2X=DISABLE isn’t run as a command-line option).  I did try installing the exact same version of Cisco Jabber and uninstalling it, but in using regshot it only seems to modify a few of the entries I listed above as “static”, not the “automatic” entries.
    • We have had various updates sent to us for the Skype for Business, but I was assured that these users have been updated to the same version/patch set that I have. 

Has anyone else run across similar issues?

Thank you!

• Edited by menestrello Wednesday, July 27, 2016 5:33 PM
    Wednesday, July 27, 2016 5:23 PM

Answers

• The user's access permissions to the registry keys were not restricted

The user has since been issued an upgraded laptop and he no longer has the problem.  This isn't really an answer to the question, but since the user is no longer affected, I am marking this as answered.

• Marked as answer by menestrello Friday, May 11, 2018 2:20 PM
    • Edited by menestrello Friday, May 11, 2018 2:21 PM
    Friday, May 11, 2018 2:20 PM

All replies

• Have not had to go further than setting the keys you already found (same keys outlined here:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2726007).  Wonder if those ProcessId/UpandRunning values got locked down somehow?  If you check the permissions of those keys in regedit, does it match your machine?  If you configure them to be editable by everyone, then exit/restart Skype do you get the same lack of change?

Please remember, if you see a post that helped you please click "Vote As Helpful" and if it answered your question please click "Mark As Answer". SWC Unified Communications This forum post is based upon my personal experience and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

Wednesday, July 27, 2016 5:55 PM
  • Hi menestrello,

Thank you for your post.

There are so many discussions about this kind of issue. It seems the cause and resolution is from Registry entries. For your reference, please check following links:

Jabber Phone Mode Breaks Presence for Outlook with Lync

https://supportforums.cisco.com/discussion/12316076/jabber-phone-mode-breaks-presence-outlook-lync

Outlook loses Presence information after Jabber 10.5 install

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/exchange/en-US/2fe72e01-dca4-4942-9cf0-132563bcb020/outlook-loses-presence-information-after-jabber-105-install?forum=ocsclients

Outlook 2013 : Users are unable to see the presence info in Outlook

https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/rathomas/2012/12/03/outlook-2013-users-are-unable-to-see-the-presence-info-in-outlook/  

Some Instant Messaging client features are not available in Outlook

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2859256

Hope the reply helpful to you. 

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, July 29, 2016 9:25 AM
  • Hello Jerry,

I appreciate the information, but these all refer to information that I thought I explained in the original post.

I already know which entries need to be updated primarily based on information from Microsoft's site.  I considered referencing the Microsoft articles, but I thought the original post was already getting long enough.

I am aware that Cisco Jabber 9.7 and beyond will automatically update the registry (continually) and to install them the CLICK2X=DISABLE option must be run.  Versions prior to 9.7 update the registry once during installation, but do not do so continually.  Uninstallation of Cisco Jabber removes certain entries, depending on the version, and they sometimes have to be re-added.

We are not having issues with the static entries that need to be in place and those are the ones that Cisco Jabber modifies.  It attempts to force itself as the default IM client.  These have already been addressed.  The problem we are having is with entries that are supposed to be created/modified automatically by the Skype client when it runs.

I have attempted to reproduce the problem and have installed and uninstalled various versions of Cisco Jabber I don't know how many times (I wouldn't doubt if it has been over 100 times for testing purposes).  If I update the static entries in the registry my presence still works fine since when the Skype for Business client runs it happily creates its automatic entries every time.  Even when Cisco Jabber 9.7 or higher is installed, the Skype for Business client STILL creates and edits the automatic entries for ProcessID and UpAndRunning on my system -- it's just that Microsoft Outlook sees the static entries that the Cisco Jabber client creates telling it that Cisco Jabber is the client it should be referencing.

Since I am unable to reproduce the problem on my system, I am trying to see what else might be causing it for the few people in question.

Friday, July 29, 2016 11:22 AM
  • Did you check into the permissions on the keys themselves?  I'm wondering if they got locked down and Skype just doesn't have permissions to write there anymore.

Please remember, if you see a post that helped you please click "Vote As Helpful" and if it answered your question please click "Mark As Answer". SWC Unified Communications This forum post is based upon my personal experience and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

Friday, July 29, 2016 2:17 PM
  • Did you check into the permissions on the keys themselves?  I'm wondering if they got locked down and Skype just doesn't have permissions to write there anymore.

I requested time to go through this with an affected user, but have not yet been able to test this since the issue is not affecting me.

Friday, July 29, 2016 7:10 PM
  • Hi menestrello,

Thank you for sharing your scenario to us in detail.

As you mentioned your Skype for Business 2015 version number is 15.0.4841.1000 which has the latest update:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3115261

I would suggest you check Outlook 2010 version, and try to install latest Outlook 2010 update:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3114996

And as Anthony Caragol suggested, please try to check the permissions. If any result, please feel free to tell us. 

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, August 15, 2016 8:59 AM
  • I was finally able to get time scheduled with an affected user to look at registry settings on the computer and all permissions (except for the RESTRICTED account) are set to "Full Control" and "Read" as they should be.
    • Unmarked as answer by menestrello Friday, May 11, 2018 2:20 PM
    Thursday, September 15, 2016 11:39 AM
  • The user's access permissions to the registry keys were not restricted

The user has since been issued an upgraded laptop and he no longer has the problem.  This isn't really an answer to the question, but since the user is no longer affected, I am marking this as answered.

• Edited by menestrello Friday, May 11, 2018 2:21 PM
    Friday, May 11, 2018 2:20 PM