none
AcGenral.dll issues-error occurs when opening an .exe

Question

• I am running Windows Vista Home Premium 32-bit on my HP Pavilion a1750y.  Lately, a recurring error has been popping up with every app I open stating:

[appname] -Bad Image

(X)  C:\Windows\AppPatch\AcGenral.DLL is either not designed to run on
               Windows or it contains an error.  Try installing the program again using
               the original installation media or contact your system adminastrator or
               the software vendor for support.

Considering I am my own Admin, I am at a loss for what to do.

And I also don't know what program installed it.

Please help.
    Friday, September 12, 2008 12:00 AM

Answers

• Hi

Read my previous message again.

When you first open the administrator command prompt, it should show:

C:\Windows\system32>

The first command you would type is:

CD Users\xxxxxx\Desktop

You would substitute your username in place of the 'xxxxxx'.

These commands are assuming that 'C' is the drive where Vista is installed.

If this post helps to resolve your issue, click the Mark as Answer or Helpful button at the top of this message.
    By marking a post as Answered, or Helpful you help others find the answer faster.

Ronnie Vernon
    Microsoft MVP
    Windows Desktop Experience

Saturday, September 13, 2008 2:09 AM

All replies

• Hi

ACGENRAL.DLL is a system file that is part of the group of files that handle compatibility for applications in Windows Vista.

Where are these errors coming from? Are they windows errors? What type of applications are you opening when they occur?

Open Control Panel Administrative Tools / Event Viewer.

Expand Custom Views and select Administrative Events. Look for any errors in that list that correspond to thew Date and Time that you last saw this error message.

If you find one, double click the error to see the details. It should mention the 'acgenral.dll' file.

At the lower / left corner of the details dialog box, click the Copy Button and paste the results in a reply to this message.

If you do not find any errors in the event viewer, you might want to try running the System File Checker tool. This will check all of the system files in Vista and repair any that may be corrupted.

Go to Start / All Programs / Accessories.

Right click the Command Prompt item and select the 'Run As Administrator' option.

Click Continue on the UAC prompt.

In the command prompt window, type the following command.

SFC /SCANNOW

Press ENTER.

(Make sure the command is entered exactly as shown, including the space)

This will take a few minutes to run, try not to use the computer while it is running.

After this is finished, exit any running programs and reboot the computer.

Try to recreate the error message.

Let us know the results.

If this post helps to resolve your issue, click the Mark as Answer or Helpful button at the top of this message.
    By marking a post as Answered, or Helpful you help others find the answer faster.

Ronnie Vernon
    Microsoft MVP

Friday, September 12, 2008 3:59 AM
  • It tells me that it found corrupt files but was unable to fix some of them.  Details are included in windir\logs\cbs\cbs.log

I try to open the log, but it tells me access is denied.
    What now?

EDIT: I rebooted my comp, and it still comes up.   I am running programs such as World of Warcraft [WoW.exe], and music apps like Musicmatch [MMJB.exe].
    Friday, September 12, 2008 7:45 PM
  • Hi

The following procedure will place a text file on your Desktop that only contains the results from the SFC command that you ran. These are extracted from the CBS.log file.

Go to Start / All Programs / Accessories, right click the Command Prompt item and select the 'Run As Administrator' option.

Click Continue on the UAC prompt.

In the command window, type following commands.

CD Users\xxxxxx\Desktop

Press ENTER.

***NOTE: In this command, replace xxxxxx with the name of your account that you are logged on with.

Next, type this command:

findstr /C:[SR] %windir%\logs\cbs\cbs.log >sfcdetails.txt

Press ENTER

***NOTE: Make sure these commands are entered 'exactly' as shown, including the spaces.

Exit the command prompt and go to the Desktop. Find the 'sfcdetails.txt' file and double click the file to open.

A typical entry in this file will look similar to the following.

2008-08-15 14:47:59, Info                  CSI    00000111 [SR] Cannot repair member file [l:30{15}]"PurblePlace.dll" of Microsoft-Windows-Shell-InboxGames-PurblePlace, Version = 6.0.6001.18000, pA = PROCESSOR_ARCHITECTURE_INTEL (0), Culture neutral, VersionScope = 1 nonSxS, PublicKeyToken = {l:8 b:31bf3856ad364e35}, Type neutral, TypeName neutral, PublicKey neutral in the store, hash mismatch

***Description:

Each of the entries in this file start with the 'Date and Time' that the scan was performed. In this particular entry, you can see that the file that is noted is 'PurblePlace.dll' and the file has the 'Version Number' 6.0.6001.18000. At the end of this entry, the reason that the file could not be replaced is 'hash mismatch' which means that the descriptor (File Identifier) for the current file did not match the descriptor for the backed up file.

Try to locate any entries that mention the 'acgenral.dll' file. If you find any, copy the entry and paste it in a reply here.

Ronnie Vernon
    Microsoft MVP
    Friday, September 12, 2008 8:36 PM
  • When i type the first line, C:\Users\XXXXXXX\Desktop, it tells me it is not recognized as an external or batch command.  Even if i do exactly what you say, ignoring the response, it doesn't work.
    Friday, September 12, 2008 8:46 PM
  • Hi

Read my previous message again.

When you first open the administrator command prompt, it should show:

C:\Windows\system32>

The first command you would type is:

CD Users\xxxxxx\Desktop

You would substitute your username in place of the 'xxxxxx'.

These commands are assuming that 'C' is the drive where Vista is installed.

Ronnie Vernon
    Microsoft MVP

Saturday, September 13, 2008 2:09 AM
  • I am stuck on this step.  I am so annoyed with this error message and would love to figure out the problem so I can move on.  When I attempt to type the CD Users prompt, it says "The system cannot find the path specified."  What am I doing wrong?

Saturday, November 22, 2008 2:03 AM
  • Hi

Sorry, try this.

type:

CD\

Press Enter.

Type:

CD Users\xxxx\Desktop

Then continue with the previous instructions.

Ronnie Vernon
    Microsoft MVP
    Saturday, November 22, 2008 12:45 PM
  • Hi there, sorry to post on an existing thread and not start my own (not sure if it's allowed on these forums?)

I too am having major troubles with this AcGenral.dll file. I've been through 5 days of support on another forum to no avail at all :o(
    Apparently my system is 'clean' and not infected at all, yet still the problem remains. As with the OP here, the error message exists on nearly every single .exe file I open. (Including Word and MS Money to name but two)

I've tried HJT and MalwareBytes and all sorts of things as suggested to me by someone helpful on another forum, but like I say, all to no avail. Would there be any chance at all I might be able to ask (make that beg!) for some assistance to get rid of this nuisance error message?!

Many thanx and much appreciation.
    Saturday, December 27, 2008 12:07 PM
  • Hello, Ronnie (and anyone else),

I've recently been having a similar problem, and am likewise getting a message through SFC /SCANNOW that there were corrupted files which could not be fixed.

Below is a printout out the relevant error text from my log:

2009-03-16 21:38:02, Info                  CSI    0000003d [SR] Cannot repair member file [l:24{12}]"AcGenral.dll" of Microsoft-Windows-Application-Experience-Mitigations-C3, Version = 6.0.6000.16772, pA = PROCESSOR_ARCHITECTURE_INTEL (0), Culture neutral, VersionScope = 1 nonSxS, PublicKeyToken = {l:8 b:31bf3856ad364e35}, Type neutral, TypeName neutral, PublicKey neutral in the store, hash mismatch

2009-03-16 21:38:03, Info                  CSI    0000003f [SR] Cannot repair member file [l:24{12}]"AcGenral.dll" of Microsoft-Windows-Application-Experience-Mitigations-C3, Version = 6.0.6000.16772, pA = PROCESSOR_ARCHITECTURE_INTEL (0), Culture neutral, VersionScope = 1 nonSxS, PublicKeyToken = {l:8 b:31bf3856ad364e35}, Type neutral, TypeName neutral, PublicKey neutral in the store, hash mismatch

2009-03-16 21:38:03, Info                  CSI    00000042 [SR] Could not reproject corrupted file [ml:520{260},l:46{23}]"\??\C:\Windows\apppatch"\[l:24{12}]"AcGenral.dll"; source file in store is also corrupted

2009-03-16 21:46:29, Info                  CSI    000001af [SR] Cannot repair member file [l:24{12}]"AcGenral.dll" of Microsoft-Windows-Application-Experience-Mitigations-C3, Version = 6.0.6000.16772, pA = PROCESSOR_ARCHITECTURE_INTEL (0), Culture neutral, VersionScope = 1 nonSxS, PublicKeyToken = {l:8 b:31bf3856ad364e35}, Type neutral, TypeName neutral, PublicKey neutral in the store, hash mismatch

2009-03-16 21:46:31, Info                  CSI    000001ed [SR] Cannot repair member file [l:24{12}]"AcGenral.dll" of Microsoft-Windows-Application-Experience-Mitigations-C3, Version = 6.0.6000.16772, pA = PROCESSOR_ARCHITECTURE_INTEL (0), Culture neutral, VersionScope = 1 nonSxS, PublicKeyToken = {l:8 b:31bf3856ad364e35}, Type neutral, TypeName neutral, PublicKey neutral in the store, hash mismatch

2009-03-16 21:46:32, Info                  CSI    000001f0 [SR] Could not reproject corrupted file [ml:520{260},l:46{23}]"\??\C:\Windows\apppatch"\[l:24{12}]"AcGenral.dll"; source file in store is also corrupted

2009-03-16 21:55:46, Info                  CSI    0000003d [SR] Cannot repair member file [l:24{12}]"AcGenral.dll" of Microsoft-Windows-Application-Experience-Mitigations-C3, Version = 6.0.6000.16772, pA = PROCESSOR_ARCHITECTURE_INTEL (0), Culture neutral, VersionScope = 1 nonSxS, PublicKeyToken = {l:8 b:31bf3856ad364e35}, Type neutral, TypeName neutral, PublicKey neutral in the store, hash mismatch

2009-03-16 21:55:47, Info                  CSI    0000003f [SR] Cannot repair member file [l:24{12}]"AcGenral.dll" of Microsoft-Windows-Application-Experience-Mitigations-C3, Version = 6.0.6000.16772, pA = PROCESSOR_ARCHITECTURE_INTEL (0), Culture neutral, VersionScope = 1 nonSxS, PublicKeyToken = {l:8 b:31bf3856ad364e35}, Type neutral, TypeName neutral, PublicKey neutral in the store, hash mismatch

2009-03-16 21:55:48, Info                  CSI    00000042 [SR] Could not reproject corrupted file [ml:520{260},l:46{23}]"\??\C:\Windows\apppatch"\[l:24{12}]"AcGenral.dll"; source file in store is also corrupted

2009-03-16 22:04:41, Info                  CSI    000001af [SR] Cannot repair member file [l:24{12}]"AcGenral.dll" of Microsoft-Windows-Application-Experience-Mitigations-C3, Version = 6.0.6000.16772, pA = PROCESSOR_ARCHITECTURE_INTEL (0), Culture neutral, VersionScope = 1 nonSxS, PublicKeyToken = {l:8 b:31bf3856ad364e35}, Type neutral, TypeName neutral, PublicKey neutral in the store, hash mismatch

2009-03-16 22:04:44, Info                  CSI    000001ed [SR] Cannot repair member file [l:24{12}]"AcGenral.dll" of Microsoft-Windows-Application-Experience-Mitigations-C3, Version = 6.0.6000.16772, pA = PROCESSOR_ARCHITECTURE_INTEL (0), Culture neutral, VersionScope = 1 nonSxS, PublicKeyToken = {l:8 b:31bf3856ad364e35}, Type neutral, TypeName neutral, PublicKey neutral in the store, hash mismatch

2009-03-16 22:04:44, Info                  CSI    000001f0 [SR] Could not reproject corrupted file [ml:520{260},l:46{23}]"\??\C:\Windows\apppatch"\[l:24{12}]"AcGenral.dll"; source file in store is also corrupted

...unrelated to this error, it is showing other corrupted DLLs, as well ("brcpl.dll", "catsrv.dll", "PhotoMetadataHandler.dll", "WindowsCodecsExt.dll", and "cscompui.dll"), but as I have not yet experienced errors with those (that I know of), that may be a battle for another day.

Thanks for any assistance that anyone can offer.  Is there a way to just replace or repair specific damaged DLLs?

Thanks,
    Brian

Tuesday, March 17, 2009 3:31 PM
  • 2010-10-26 20:38:58, Info                  CSI    00000079 [SR] Cannot repair member file [l:24{12}]"AcGenral.dll" of Microsoft-Windows-Application-Experience-Mitigations-C3, Version = 6.0.6002.18244, pA = PROCESSOR_ARCHITECTURE_INTEL (0), Culture neutral, VersionScope = 1 nonSxS, PublicKeyToken = {l:8 b:31bf3856ad364e35}, Type neutral, TypeName neutral, PublicKey neutral in the store, hash mismatch
    2010-10-26 20:39:00, Info                  CSI    0000007b [SR] Cannot repair member file [l:24{12}]"AcGenral.dll" of Microsoft-Windows-Application-Experience-Mitigations-C3, Version = 6.0.6002.18244, pA = PROCESSOR_ARCHITECTURE_INTEL (0), Culture neutral, VersionScope = 1 nonSxS, PublicKeyToken = {l:8 b:31bf3856ad364e35}, Type neutral, TypeName neutral, PublicKey neutral in the store, hash mismatch
    2010-10-26 20:39:00, Info                  CSI    0000007c [SR] This component was referenced by [l:148{74}]"Package_7_for_KB982519~31bf3856ad364e35~x86~~6.0.1.0.982519-44_neutral_GDR"
    2010-10-26 20:39:00, Info                  CSI    0000007f [SR] Could not reproject corrupted file [ml:520{260},l:46{23}]"\??\C:\Windows\apppatch"\[l:24{12}]"AcGenral.dll"; source file in store is also corrupted
    Tuesday, October 26, 2010 4:52 PM
  • Hi,

I ve got the same issue. My system is running Windows 7 Ultimate edition with i3 processor. It will not allow me to install any application.

Recently i tried to update the drivers of the system, when i tried installing them i an error message

"C:\Windows\AppPatch\AcGenral.DLL is either not designed to run on Windows or it contains error"

Please help

Thank you

Saturday, December 18, 2010 4:10 AM
  • Hi Ronnie,

I did the exact same instructions yu had provided, it creates the file on the desktop but nothing is in the file, no logs.

I'm having big trouble with this error message as it does not allow me to install any drivers on my system. Please help!

Thank you.

Saturday, December 18, 2010 4:20 AM
  • Hi Ronnie

I had the same ptoblem.   Just Install new software (CUBASE)  and every time the same legend aoears.

I just did wath you sugested...and her's the answer:

Windows resourse [rotection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some of them.

Details are included in the CBS.log   windir/logs/cbs/cbs.log.   for example

ANY SEGESTION???  I just need to run this software ASAP!

TKS

Sunday, June 26, 2011 2:59 AM
  • Ronnie,  I did this search for I have the DLL C: Windows/AppPatch that was a never ending problem.  After severl attempts I got a little smart and ran my free Security Essentials scan,  the full scan, and it looks like the problem has been solved.  Tks. to MS

Regards Owen Faust @tenspot_290@hotmail.com

Tuesday, January 03, 2012 2:13 AM
  • This is an old thread I realize but "Users" is at the root of C:\ not C:\Windows\system32> that is why this person could not get to the User desktop. If you type "cd .."and then type "cd .." again you'll be at the root of C: then you can type in "CD Users\xxxxxx\Desktop" where XXXXX is your user name.

Hope this helps.

Thursday, November 03, 2016 1:46 PM