Internet Explorer 11 has performance issue when pasting large number of spaces and hyphens together in the simple textarea HTML field RRS feed

• Question

• I have a simple HTML page with a textarea field on it. When I paste data (spaces + hyphens) of length around 10000 chars to this textarea field, the browser hangs for few minutes.

This issue is not seen for other normal data, only specific to above combination (around 5000 blank spaces followed by around 5000 hyphen/minus symbol)

For above action, I analysed through developer tool profiler and observed that the maximum time being take by browser is to render content/layout of textarea. I believe some re-flow/repaint is happening in this particular case.

Is this a known issue with IE11? Please advice!

(I had posted this query on Microsoft communities and they re-directed me to TechNet forum. Hope I will get answer to my query)

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/ie/forum/ie11-iewindows_10/internet-explorer-11-has-performance-issue-when/809a7308-fa3f-427b-98dd-39c8d3b9a1c3

• Edited by ChetanH87 Sunday, October 29, 2017 2:13 PM
    Sunday, October 29, 2017 2:12 PM

All replies

• Hi,

MSIE browsers have security zones which can affect clipboard features.

Tools>Internet Options>Security tab>click "Reset all zones to default".

Use the File>Properties menu in IE to determine which IE security zone your test page on your localhost is being mapped to.

The Emulation mode being used on a web page can also affect how clipboard data is sanitized. Use the Emulation tab of the f12 tool to determine which IE emulation mode is being used and how it was established.

Junk in > Junk out....

<quote>

This issue is not seen for other normal data, only specific to above combination (around 5000 blank spaces followed by around 5000 hyphen/minus symbol)

</quote>

Your page meta charset value can also have an effect.. make sure you are using utf-8.

You can use the onpaste event handler to sanitize your data yourself. eg remove profanities.

A common design pattern is to use the maxlength attribute to limit the amount of text that a user can paste or type into a textarea.

Please include a link to your website or a jsfiddle that reproduces the issue with your coding questions at stackoverflow. If you are developing on localhost or the file system (file: protocol).. mention as such in your questions.

This forum is for

Questions regarding Internet Explorer 8, 9 and 10 and Internet Explorer 11 for the IT Pro Audience. Topics covered are: Installation, Deployment, Configuration, Security, Group Policy, Management questions.

Regards.

Rob^_^

Sunday, October 29, 2017 10:49 PM