MicrosoftPolicyPlatformSetup.msi installation failed during Client Installation RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, I am trying to install the 2012 client on a Windows 2003 SP2 server. I am unable to install the client because it keeps gving the error shown below to MicrosoftPolicyPlatformSetup failed. I have been unable to find anything online to resolve this. Any ideas?

<![LOG[Running installation package
      Package:     C:\WINDOWS\ccmsetup\MicrosoftPolicyPlatformSetup.msi
      Log:         C:\WINDOWS\ccmsetup\MicrosoftPolicyPlatformSetup.msi.log
      Properties:  REBOOT=Suppress ALLUSERS=1]LOG]!><time="07:10:31.973+240" date="05-01-2012" component="ccmsetup" context="" type="1" thread="4872" file="msiutil.cpp:773">
    <![LOG[File C:\WINDOWS\ccmsetup\MicrosoftPolicyPlatformSetup.msi installation failed. Error text: ExitCode: 1601
    Action:
    ErrorMessages:
    ]LOG]!><time="07:10:31.973+240" date="05-01-2012" component="ccmsetup" context="" type="3" thread="4872" file="msiutil.cpp:860">
    <![LOG[Running installation package
      Package:     C:\WINDOWS\ccmsetup\MicrosoftPolicyPlatformSetup.msi
      Log:         C:\WINDOWS\ccmsetup\MicrosoftPolicyPlatformSetup.msi.log
      Properties:  REBOOT=Suppress ALLUSERS=1]LOG]!><time="07:10:31.973+240" date="05-01-2012" component="ccmsetup" context="" type="1" thread="4872" file="msiutil.cpp:773">

Thanks for any help.

Tuesday, May 1, 2012 11:20 AM

Answers

• Error code 1601 = "The Windows Installer Service could not be accessed. This can occur if the Windows Installer is not correctly installed. Contact your support personnel for assistance."

Try another MSI; based on the actual error messages, its not the MSI but that actual Windows Installer service that is the issue.

Jason | http://blog.configmgrftw.com | Twitter @JasonSandys

Tuesday, May 1, 2012 2:31 PM

All replies

• Have you checked the Log in your error message:"Log:         C:\WINDOWS\ccmsetup\MicrosoftPolicyPlatformSetup.msi.log"

There should be an answer for this problem.

Tuesday, May 1, 2012 11:27 AM
  • Unfortunately that log is blank.
    Tuesday, May 1, 2012 11:40 AM
  • Try installing MicrosoftPolicyPlatformSetup.msi manually (msiexec /i MicrosoftPolicyPlatformSetup.msi /l*v C:\MPPS.log) and see if an error is logged then.

Torsten Meringer | http://www.mssccmfaq.de

Tuesday, May 1, 2012 11:52 AM
  • It looks like I have a corrupted installer program. I will try to fix that after hours today. I will let you know. Trying Torsten's suggestion led me to this.
    Tuesday, May 1, 2012 1:41 PM
  • The msi resides on the Site Server, from where the client will be installed.
    [InstallationFolder]\Microsoft Configuration Manager\Client\
    and then x64 or i386.

You will find those files on the installation CD: [CD-Drive]:\SMSSETUP\CLIENT

Tuesday, May 1, 2012 1:44 PM
  • Error code 1601 = "The Windows Installer Service could not be accessed. This can occur if the Windows Installer is not correctly installed. Contact your support personnel for assistance."

Try another MSI; based on the actual error messages, its not the MSI but that actual Windows Installer service that is the issue.

Jason | http://blog.configmgrftw.com | Twitter @JasonSandys

Tuesday, May 1, 2012 2:31 PM
  • Everything is working fine now. I installed the latest version of the Installer program and that fixed the corruption in the files. The client installed successfully after that.

Thanks everyone!

Wednesday, May 2, 2012 11:06 AM