none
How to calculate baseline work on today's date (or a selected status date) RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I need to add a column calculating the baseline work up until a specific date (or today's date). I need it to compare actual work complete % to planned work complete %.

How do I do that?

I am using Project 2016.

Br.

Anne

Wednesday, March 28, 2018 11:39 AM

All replies

• Do it with two files.

When you baseline the plan, save the file with a name such as "My plan When Baselined.mpp". None of the tasks will have any progress at this stage and all scheduled tasks will be identical to their baseline. Set a status date in project information. Select all tasks and mark on track. See the work table for the % work complete. This will be the planned % work complete up to that status date.

Before mark on track make a copy of the file and carry on using this file (call it, "My Current Plan.mpp) for updating, recording actuals, re-scheduling etc and this will have the actual work and actual % work complete.

Any help?

Wednesday, March 28, 2018 2:10 PM
  • Anne,

Just for reference there are several earned value fields that may meet your needs. For example, BCWS or BCWP may provide equivalent information.

Unfortunately there is no cumulative baseline work field like there is a Cumulative Work field but if the work is linear over the task duration, a custom field formula can give cumulative baseline work to any given date. If the work is not linear over the duration the cumulative baseline work can still be calculated but you need some VBA to do so. The code to do that is pretty straightforward.

Just some thoughts.

John

Wednesday, March 28, 2018 4:05 PM