Windows 7 Search RRS feed

• Question

• Why is it I can find files more quickly and easily using Windows 95 than I can with with Windows 7? (Yes, we still have some PCs running Windows 95) There are numerous times when I know a file is in a folder, but Windows 7 cannot find it, even after searching for a long time.  Then, move the folder over to a PC running Windows 95 and it can find the file in seconds.  You could say that I don't know how to search using Windows 7.  I will admit that is true.  However, it was not an intuitive, seamless migration from Windows 95, 98, 2000 XP search functions to Windows 7.  As an engineer, I look at my job as making the new as easy to use as the old without having to wade through tutorials.  What happened that Windows 7 search does not work as well as Windows 95 search?
    Thursday, July 23, 2015 9:02 PM

Answers

• Hi,

My understanding is that your Windows search in Windows 7 doesn't work or not find the file you would like as Windows 95.

First, I would like to confirm you if the folder or files' location has been indexed in Indexing option. Another thing is that if you search in content, make sure the search in conent was checked under folder option and search tab.

If it still fail to work fine, we have to run the search and index troubleshooting you can find in Control panel -> Troubleshootings -> View all.

For further help, please post back the update on your issue with more detailed information.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Saturday, July 25, 2015 2:39 PM