Broken url for metadata service is generating hundreds of errors in the event viewer RRS feed

• Question

• there is a broken url on the Microsoft server that is currently affecting most windows operating systems:

When you boot up your system you will see it is flooded with event id 131  metadata staging failed

I have tracked this down to the following url:   microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=252669+clcid=0x409

which is the device meta data url:

this link is in the following registry key:  I cannot post the link as I am not permitted:  it contains Link ID 252669&clcid = 0x409 and can be easily viewed via the registry key as shown

HKEY LOCAL MACHINE - SOFTWARE-MICROSOFT-WINDOWS-CURRENT VERSION-DEVICE METADATA

Because the link in the registry is unable to function is generating the event 131 -  I have tried calling Microsoft several times to report the malfunctioning url and told the community site is the best place to get this url repaired because it will be viewed by engineers and moderators.

I hope someone reads this and points me in the right direction.  I have put a lot of research into the culprit generating the errors and many people on the community site are also raising this issue since 9.00 am uk time 6th May

Thursday, May 7, 2015 1:32 PM

All replies

• Change DeviceMetadataServiceURL to http://dmd.metaservices.microsoft.com/dms/metadata.svc

That stopped the metadata errors for me.

Monday, August 3, 2015 3:40 PM