none
Error Opening Sub-Domain in SNA Manager RRS feed

• Question

• I'm new to HIS and SNA but trying to configure HIS 2010 Client to connect to HIS 2006 Server. I've setup the Sponsor server to point to the HIS Server in common settings and have Run Resource location component as an application. I go ahead and start SNABase then go to SNAManager and the Sub-Domain to the same server I entered in Common Settings but I get Error Openning Sub-Domain. I've tried using the SNA Trace and every once in a while I get see something about the Invalid domain name len  32 . The only way I can  ping the HIS Server is with a full name DRFVHISD01.corpdev1.Domain.com.    I've tried it today but all I'm seeing is writting to snadump.log which is a binary file that I can't read. Any help is greatly appreciated. 

Santiago 

Santiago Perez Software Engineer
    Friday, August 12, 2011 3:31 PM

Answers

• Santiago,

I apologize for not responding sooner.

HIS Subdomain names are limited to 16 characters. If I try to enter a fully-qualified domain name for a HIS Server in SNA Manger by doing the following, the name gets truncated at 16 characters:

- Right-click Microsoft SNA Manager with the SNA Manager MMC snap-in
    - Click Open Subdomain
    - Select Remote SNA SubDomain and enter a name such as: HISSERVER.DOMAIN.CORP.COMPANY.COM

SNA Manager fails to connect to HISSERVER and is unable to open the configuration. This is because the name specified above is truncated at 16 characters.

You can try entering the TCP/IP address for the HIS 2006 Server as \\xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx in the "Remote SNA SubDomain" test box to see if that allows you to connect and open the configuration.

If I configure my HIS Client with a sponsor name of HISSERVER.DOMAIN.CORP.COMPANY.COM (for example), SnaBase will start and I can run SNA Manager and it opens the configuration for this subdomain.

If I choose to connect to a SNA SubDomain using a fully-qualified domain name for a HIS Server in SNA Manager (as explained above), the connection attempt fails because the name is being truncated.

If you cannot use just the server name (DRFVHISD01), then using the IP Address may be your best option.

Thanks...

Stephen Jackson - MSFT
    Monday, August 22, 2011 3:48 PM

All replies

• 128 Views and no one can give me a hint on how to configure SNA? 

Monday, August 15, 2011 12:28 PM
  • Santiago

If the topic were in any way closely related to SNA and traditional configuration thereof, you would have had your answer from me - or, at the very least, had your problem addressed - ages ago. Unfortunately, this is just about purely a matter for HIS!!!

Chris Mason

Monday, August 15, 2011 6:37 PM
  • Chris, like I mentioned in my original message, I am new to SNA and HIS. Not sure what you mean by my topic not being closely related to SNA?The Common Settings tab of the HIS COnfig window are pretty straight forward. I have "Run resource location component as an application" unchecked thus there is no account configured for Windows Service. Have Enable Support for 3270,APPC, and LUA Applications checked with the Sponsor Server specified as  DRFVHISD01.corpdev1.Domain.com. 

Is there any other configuration needed for common settings? 

I manually start the SnaBase and can see it running on the task bar. When I go to SNAManager I try opening sub-domain with the same server  DRFVHISD01.corpdev1.Domain.com and I get Error Opening Sub-Domain. What am I missing? Do you have any links to articles that might help me as I am new to this environment. 

Thanks for your helpful response in advance, 

Santiago 

Monday, August 15, 2011 7:40 PM
  • Santiago

> I am new to SNA and HIS.
    >> 128 Views and no one can give me a hint on how to configure SNA?

The problem is that you are so new - and would appear to have had no education in SNA - that you don't appreciate how very, very odd your phrase "how to configure SNA" when compared to what you wrote in your original post - very odd indeed! That explains my response to your impatience - and why I did not feel competent to reply before.

> Not sure what you mean by my topic not being closely related to SNA?

If you want to find out a little of what SNA is *really* about, I offer the following for "bed-time" reading:

Systems Network Architecture Technical Overview

Note that you should skip anything which describes traditional subarea SNA in more than very general overview and concentrate, to whatever level you find comfortable for now, on APPN and APPN/HPR.

When you have got over any problems getting your HIS "client" to communicate with your HIS "server" - which is some sort of *proxy* SNA not covered by that manual - you may be getting to the point of *really* using SNA from the HIS "server" by means of a real SNA connection - even if it passes over the IP network! - to a higher-level SNA "server" node, either an IBM zSeries machine or an IBM iSeries machine.

> The Common Settings tab of the HIS COnfig window ... <to the end>

And why I did not feel competent to reply before hasn't changed!

Now if you get to the point where you want to set up *real* SNA connections - and it you haven't succeeded using the "white paper"[1] and my recent post[2] clarifying what the "white paper" makes a bit of a mess trying to cover, then I may be in a position to help you.

I am still waiting for Softe (softev) to come back on the last exchange - all of 10 days ago - dealing with just this sort of problem in the thread "Biztalk 2010 Host Integration Server - Printer setup".

-

[1] Configuring IP-DLC Link Service for IBM Enterprise Extender White Paper

[2] "Starter" HIS/VTAM IP-DLC/Enterprise Extender Notes

-

Chris Mason
    Monday, August 15, 2011 11:09 PM
  • Santiago,

I apologize for not responding sooner.

HIS Subdomain names are limited to 16 characters. If I try to enter a fully-qualified domain name for a HIS Server in SNA Manger by doing the following, the name gets truncated at 16 characters:

- Right-click Microsoft SNA Manager with the SNA Manager MMC snap-in
    - Click Open Subdomain
    - Select Remote SNA SubDomain and enter a name such as: HISSERVER.DOMAIN.CORP.COMPANY.COM

SNA Manager fails to connect to HISSERVER and is unable to open the configuration. This is because the name specified above is truncated at 16 characters.

You can try entering the TCP/IP address for the HIS 2006 Server as \\xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx in the "Remote SNA SubDomain" test box to see if that allows you to connect and open the configuration.

If I configure my HIS Client with a sponsor name of HISSERVER.DOMAIN.CORP.COMPANY.COM (for example), SnaBase will start and I can run SNA Manager and it opens the configuration for this subdomain.

If I choose to connect to a SNA SubDomain using a fully-qualified domain name for a HIS Server in SNA Manager (as explained above), the connection attempt fails because the name is being truncated.

If you cannot use just the server name (DRFVHISD01), then using the IP Address may be your best option.

Thanks...

Stephen Jackson - MSFT
    Monday, August 22, 2011 3:48 PM