Windows Media Player has stopped responding. RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, I have Windows Vista Ultimate 32-bit, and whenever I start up my computer, during the startup process, a window pops up telling me that Windows media player has stopped responding. Thing is, I'm not even trying to start windows media player. I've checked Windows defender and Msconfig and it doesn't mention anything about Windows media player in the startup area. If you've got any advice, please, throw it my way.

Thanks
    Monday, May 19, 2008 7:43 PM

Answers

• It sounds like another program is calling MP during the startup process.

Check for anything in MSConfig/Startup or the StartUp folder (Start/All Programs/StartUp) that might use MP.

If you cannot find anything there, go to the following website.

Sysinternals Utilities:
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb545027.aspx

Scroll down to the Autoruns and down this utility. Double click the downloaded file to run.

"Autoruns:

See what programs are configured to startup automatically when your system boots and you login. Autoruns also shows you the full list of Registry and file locations where applications can configure auto-start settings."

It could be a malicious program and this utility checks every possible location where a program can automatically start from.

If this post helps to resolve your issue, click the Mark as Answer button at the top of this message.
    By marking a post as Answered, you help others find the answer faster.

Ronnie Vernon
    Microsoft MVP
    Windows Desktop Experience
    Monday, May 19, 2008 9:25 PM