Bios updates during OSD process. RRS feed

• Question

•  

I am attempting to implement bios updates during the OSD process. I have found a few pages here and there and pieced some of it together but the process is still not functioning. I am receiving the general error 80004005, which basically means the old "the step failed, but I cant tell you anything more!" message from SCCM.

Here is the basic task sequence I am working with:

you can see I am attempting this at this point with two different model workstations, a Dell Optiplex 990 and a 960. I am using a wmi query to kick off the appropriate bios update for the appropriate machine.

for the 990: "This group,step will run if all conditions are true. Select * from Win32_ComputerSystem where Model like "Optiplex 990%" and select SMBIOSBIOSVersion from Win32_BIOS where SMBIOSBIOSVersion < "A10"

For the 960: "This group,step will run if all conditions are true. Select * from Win32_ComputerSystem where Model like "Optiplex 960% and select SMBIOSBIOSVersion from Win32_BIOS where SMBIOSBIOSVersion < "A13"

the error log is as follows:

I have the bios update program in its package with the correct program specified via command line

“O960A13.exe” -NOPAUSE -NOREBOOT

any suggestions from anyone who has gotten this to work? I appreciate any help or suggestions!

Thursday, December 29, 2011 9:05 PM

Answers

• If that's an exact screenshot, the problem is with your quotes in the command line. Notice that they are not standard quotes, they are smart quotes that the command interpreter doesn't like -- you probably copied the command-line from Word or Outlook that uses smart quotes automatically. There's no reason for quotes in the command-line anyway so just get rid of them.

Also, I  would move your BIOS updates to the beginning of the TS and have them run from WinPE before anything gets installed -- seems safer to me.

Jason | http://myitforum.com/myitforumwp/members/jasonsandys/ | Twitter @JasonSandys
    • Marked as answer by MBroome Friday, December 30, 2011 3:16 PM
    Thursday, December 29, 2011 11:43 PM

All replies

• Here is my bios package and program:

Thursday, December 29, 2011 9:09 PM
  • If that's an exact screenshot, the problem is with your quotes in the command line. Notice that they are not standard quotes, they are smart quotes that the command interpreter doesn't like -- you probably copied the command-line from Word or Outlook that uses smart quotes automatically. There's no reason for quotes in the command-line anyway so just get rid of them.

Also, I  would move your BIOS updates to the beginning of the TS and have them run from WinPE before anything gets installed -- seems safer to me.

Jason | http://myitforum.com/myitforumwp/members/jasonsandys/ | Twitter @JasonSandys
    • Marked as answer by MBroome Friday, December 30, 2011 3:16 PM
    Thursday, December 29, 2011 11:43 PM
  • Thank you sir! I will give that a try in the morning first thing and post the results here! You are correct, I just copied and pasted the entire command from a web page, I will manually change them. To clarify, Move the entire bios updates group to the beginning of the task sequence, boot from pe and have the wmi queries select the appropriate patch to run. Reboot into PE once again and start the Install operating system group...correct? I didn't know bios executibles would run within PE! Live and learn! At least I got the queries correct! It passes the 990 right on by and attempts the 960 patch.........(this entire process was attempted on a 960).

• Edited by MBroome Friday, December 30, 2011 12:06 AM
    Friday, December 30, 2011 12:03 AM
  • Got it working! Moved the entire bios update group to the very top of the sequence. Had it flash the bios while within Windows, (did not work within PE) and BEFORE rebooting into PE. I also removed the quotes from the command line in the package. The task sequence now is as follows:

I appreciate the help, this will provide a huge benefit to our shop! Thank you Jason, Have a happy and Safe New Years Eve sir!

Friday, December 30, 2011 3:16 PM