My WORD 2000 Macros ... all that productivity ... gone!! RRS feed

• Question

• Everyone talks about how great macros can be ... I know, I had a dozen or so that were very helpful. Now my old office 2000 is gone and I don't even recall all the names. Is there anyway to rescue those 2000 macros for word and excel and convert them for use in the 2010 products?
    Friday, January 27, 2012 10:42 PM

Answers

• On 2012-01-28 07:29 (GMT+1), macropod [MVP] wrote:
    Even if Office 2000 was uninstalled before Office 2010 was installed, the Word 2000 Normal.dot file should still be wherever it was stored in the Office 2000 installation (typically "C:\Documents and Settings\Username\Application Data\Microsoft\Templates", where Username is the logon name of the user).
    Cheers
    Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

Paul,

Thank you for pointing that out. I should have clarified that reinstalling and “upgrading” does the same: preserves the (settings of) the Normal template.

Stefan Blom, Microsoft Word MVP
    • Edited by Stefan BlomMVP Saturday, January 28, 2012 2:45 PM
    • Marked as answer by BobR2k Saturday, January 28, 2012 3:36 PM
    Saturday, January 28, 2012 1:53 PM

All replies

• If you installed Office 2010 on top of Office 2010, chances are that a backup of the Normal template is still in your user templates folder. It would be named Normal1.dot or something similar. You can copy the macros from that file.

On the other hand, if you had Office 2000 on a different machine, you will have to try retrieving Normal from that machine.

Friday, January 27, 2012 11:07 PM
  • Even if Office 2000 was uninstalled before Office 2010 was installed, the Word 2000 Normal.dot file should still be wherever it was stored in the Office 2000 installation (typically "C:\Documents and Settings\Username\Application Data\Microsoft\Templates", where Username is the logon name of the user).
    Cheers
    Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]
    Saturday, January 28, 2012 6:29 AM
  • Whether or not Word 2000 was uninstalled first, the end result of the installation of Word 2010 should be that the 'Normal.dot' file still exists and a 'Normal.dotm' file does not.

On the first run of Word 2010, it will recognise the situation and do its best to confuse you. Your 'Normal.dot' file will be renamed as 'NormalOld.dot' and a new Normal Template, based on Word's built-in defaults will be created. By default, or if you reply Yes to the prompt, Word will save this new file as 'Normal.dotm' when you exit Word.

You have not lost your work, Word has just hidden it, but there are various ways to get it back. If you are interested in all the details, and more, then see my write-up on this at http://www.wordarticles.com/Articles/Templates/Normal.php. If you just want your macros back, Stefan and Paul have probably told you all you need to know.

Enjoy,
    Tony
    www.WordArticles.com
    Saturday, January 28, 2012 11:00 AM
  • On 2012-01-28 07:29 (GMT+1), macropod [MVP] wrote:
    Even if Office 2000 was uninstalled before Office 2010 was installed, the Word 2000 Normal.dot file should still be wherever it was stored in the Office 2000 installation (typically "C:\Documents and Settings\Username\Application Data\Microsoft\Templates", where Username is the logon name of the user).
    Cheers
    Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

Paul,

Thank you for pointing that out. I should have clarified that reinstalling and “upgrading” does the same: preserves the (settings of) the Normal template.

• Edited by Stefan BlomMVP Saturday, January 28, 2012 2:45 PM
    • Marked as answer by BobR2k Saturday, January 28, 2012 3:36 PM
    Saturday, January 28, 2012 1:53 PM
  • Actually, I'm good now ... I found a post that referenced the Organizer and copied from Normal.dot to normal.dotm. I'm now able to access my macros in Word and Excel. Thanks everyone.
    Bob R.
    Saturday, January 28, 2012 3:38 PM
  • On 2012-01-28 16:38 (GMT+1), BobR2k wrote:
    Actually, I'm good now ... I found a post that referenced the Organizer and copied from Normal.dot to normal.dotm. I'm now able to access my macros in Word and Excel. Thanks everyone.
    Bob R.

I'm glad you got it sorted!

Saturday, January 28, 2012 4:00 PM