How to verify Quorum Configuration in Win Server 2016? RRS feed

• Question

• Get-ClusterQuorum |fl

Gives

Cluster        : ClusterName
    QuorumResource : File Share Witness
    QuorumType     : Majority

----

I was expecting QuorumType to be 'NodeAndFileShareMajority'? Has something changed in 2016 & "majority" seen above means 'NodeAndFileShareMajority' is it?

Is there any other way to verify QuorumType in Win Server 2016?

Thanks.

D

• Edited by SQLRocker Tuesday, August 4, 2020 11:24 PM
    • Moved by Tom Phillips Thursday, August 6, 2020 6:18 PM HA question
    Tuesday, August 4, 2020 11:21 PM

Answers

• Np, the issue that I see with t-sql and SSMS is that it doesn't give the complete picture of dynamic quorum & dynamic witness, pretty much these 3 cmds do the needful:

Get-ClusterQuorum |fl
    Get-Cluster |fl name, DynamicQuorum, WitnessDynamicWeight
    Get-ClusterNode | ft ID, NodeName, NodeWeight, DynamicWeight, State -AutoSize

D

• Edited by SQLRocker Thursday, August 20, 2020 3:10 PM
    • Marked as answer by SQLRocker Thursday, August 20, 2020 3:10 PM
    Thursday, August 13, 2020 3:47 PM

All replies

• Hi SQLRocker,

I found a similar thread, hope it could help you. What is mean of Quorum Type: Majority as compare to NodeMajority or NodeAndFileShareMajority

This is a forums talking about SQL server issues, your issue is related to windows, suggest you create a new thread on Windows server forums, people there will give you better help.

Best regards,
    Cathy

""SQL Server related"" forum will be migrated to a new home on Microsoft Q&A SQL Server!
    We invite you to post new questions in the "SQL Server related" forum’s new home on Microsoft Q&A SQL Server !
    For more information, please refer to the sticky post.

Wednesday, August 5, 2020 4:05 AM
  • Hi Cathy,

yes, i had seen that thread too earlier - its unanswered, hence i created a new one.

Even though the forum is sql server, DBA needs to know about the pertinent concepts on which sql server relies on. I don't think the concept of quorum is alien to good DBA's, and my question is not so much on creation etc but just on 'verification' which a DBA should do. Anyways, i have posted the same q on the windows forum too.

D

Wednesday, August 5, 2020 4:21 AM
  • Hi SQLRocker,

Yes. But Windows forums will give you better help. People there are more professional on quorum issue.

Best regards,
    Cathy

""SQL Server related"" forum will be migrated to a new home on Microsoft Q&A SQL Server!
    We invite you to post new questions in the "SQL Server related" forum’s new home on Microsoft Q&A SQL Server !

Thursday, August 6, 2020 7:28 AM
  • Yes, I have posted my q there.

anyways, I was able to find how to verify quorum, below is the easiest way:

SELECT member_name, member_state_desc, number_of_quorum_votes FROM sys.dm_hadr_cluster_members;

select * from sys.dm_hadr_cluster

Quorum_type_desc shows 'Node_And_File_Share_Majority' -> on servers with FSW set

without FSW -> 'Node_Majority'

Another way of chking is to goto AG Dashboard-Click AG- use 'View Cluster Quorum Info' on the right and it shows the Quorum Model & the members info with state & Vote count.

From the research I have done so far looks like Get-ClusterQuorum |fl isn't giving the QuorumType details as before (just says 'Majority').

D

• Edited by SQLRocker Thursday, August 6, 2020 6:13 PM
    Thursday, August 6, 2020 6:12 PM
  •  Thanks for sharing the information. It will benefit all community members who are having this similar issue. 

Friday, August 7, 2020 8:49 AM
  • Np, the issue that I see with t-sql and SSMS is that it doesn't give the complete picture of dynamic quorum & dynamic witness, pretty much these 3 cmds do the needful:

Get-ClusterQuorum |fl
    Get-Cluster |fl name, DynamicQuorum, WitnessDynamicWeight
    Get-ClusterNode | ft ID, NodeName, NodeWeight, DynamicWeight, State -AutoSize

D

• Edited by SQLRocker Thursday, August 20, 2020 3:10 PM
    • Marked as answer by SQLRocker Thursday, August 20, 2020 3:10 PM
    Thursday, August 13, 2020 3:47 PM
  • Thanks for sharing the information. In order to close this thread, please kindly mark your own replies as answers. By doing so, it will benefit all community members who are having this similar issue. Your contribution is highly appreciated.

Thursday, August 20, 2020 7:49 AM