none
File service delays, pauses and performance issues RRS feed

• Question

• Something has changed in our environment over the past year and suddenly any file driven activities/functions are being negatively impacted from a performance standpoint.  Here are some things i have observed lately in our environment.

Windows 10 client copies a zip file from the local C: drive to a Windows 2016 server via the UNC admin share path (e.g. \\server\c$\temp\).  You see the file copy status window immediately, but the status sits there at 0% for a minute before it starts progressing with the file copy at a normal quick pace.  

You empty your recycle bin on a file server.  The status bar hangs at a certain percentage for over a minute and then starts progress at a normal pace.

You right click a file in File Explorer.  It takes almost a minute for the menu to show up. Once it does, everything works fine.

You install an upgrade to a server application.  The upgrade takes 10 times as long as it seems like file activities are taking forever.

You update the security on a folder.  Each file is updated with the new security settings, but instead of it happening fast, you see it taking a long time, one file at a time.  

These are all different clients and servers i'm seeing this behavior on, so its not just one machine.  I dont even know where to start or what to put in my 'suspect list'.  Is it a Windows setting?  Is it a bug?  Is it virus protection? or Windows security settings conflicting with virus protection?  Is it something else?  how would i even start with troubleshooting this?

Friday, February 14, 2020 2:03 PM

All replies

• I dont even know where to start or what to put in my 'suspect list'. 

I would start with task manager and make sure that the machine you are on has sufficient CPU/memory/disk capacity. Ie; make sure that some other process is not impacting your performance. 

If you have a physical hard drive (not SSD), run dfrgui.exe and defrag the drive. I also like to prevent my system page file from getting fragmented from being "system managed". On a new machine I set a fixed paged file size. Sysinternal's pagedfrg doesn't work any more so on an older machine I would set the pagefile to a small size, reboot, defrag the disk, then set the PF to it's larger fixed size.  

Next I would test the hard drive to measure it's response time and compare that with several machines. A tool like Novabench or PCMark works. make sure you don't have some underlying hardware problem. 

What software are you using for anti-virus? That's usually the #1 suspect. Do you have a repeatable test? Ie; copy c:\temp\somefile.zip to c:\temp2? (Don't test over the network, too many variables.) If so turn off your AV software and see if it runs faster. 

Friday, February 14, 2020 3:03 PM
  • Hello,

Thank you for posting in our TechNet forum.

We would like to hear your feedback about whether our issue has been solved. Hope the information provided is helpful to you.

If the issue has been solved, please share your experience and solution here. It will be very beneficial for other community members who have similar questions. If no, please reply and tell us the current situation in order to provide further help.

Best regards,
    Hannah Xiong

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, February 18, 2020 4:53 AM