Vista SP1 x64 sleep/hibernate -- computer turns off instead (improperly shutdown) RRS feed

• Question

• I just set up my shiny new Dell D630 laptop with Vista 64-bit SP1 Ultimate (new/clean install).

About 9 times out of 10 (maybe even more often then that) when I try to Sleep or Hibernate, here is what happens:

1. the screen goes blank
    2. the hard disk is active for about 2 minutes (why does it do this if I have turned Hybrid Sleep off?)
    3. the computer turns off completely

Doesn't matter if I have AC power on or not. Battery is plugged in. Power settings are set such that Hybrid Sleep is turned off (I want it to go to sleep quickly!).

I have installed the latest version of every driver/download I can get from Dell or other as applicable. Just for kicks I completely uninstalled a couple things like my AT&T wireless card and that still did not help.

I have checked the event logs thoroughly and there are no clues available in there other than the system (when I turn it back on) stating that it had unexpected shutdown.

C:>powercfg /a
    The following sleep states are available on this system: Standby ( S3 ) Hibernate Hybrid Sleep
    The following sleep states are not available on this system:
    Standby (S1)
            The system firmware does not support this standby state.
    Standby (S2)
            The system firmware does not support this standby state.

Any ideas on how I can further troubleshoot and/or resolve this issue? This is driving me mad -- I am pretty mobile and depend on being able to quickly sleep and resume later to pick up where I left off.

Thanks in advance

Wednesday, July 23, 2008 5:14 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Windows Vista has a great improving on Power Management, and it has strict hardware requirements. Although this computer can work in Windows XP, it may fail in Windows Vista. Still suggest you contact Dell to have a hardware checking. Thank you for your understanding.

For more information about Power Management in Windows Vista, you can refer to the following information.

Windows Vista Power Management

http://windowsvistablog.com/blogs/windowsvista/archive/2006/12/08/windows-vista-power-management.aspx

Power Management In Windows Vista (Microsoft Office Power Point required)

http://download.microsoft.com/download/5/b/9/5b97017b-e28a-4bae-ba48-174cf47d23cd/CPA075_WH06.ppt

Hope it helps.

Friday, August 8, 2008 7:45 AM

All replies

•  

Hi,

It sounds like a BIOS setting issue or a hardware issue.

Let’s check the BIOS setting first.

Check ACPI mode.

=====================

1.Restart the computer into the BIOS settings, and go into the Power Management sectionin the BIOS.

NOTE: Usually you will press the F2 or Delete key as soon as your computer starts booting to enter the BIOS.

2.Make sure ACPI mode: S3 is enabled.

3.Save the BIOS setting changes and exit to restart the computer.

4.Test sleep problem.

At same time, it is recommended to contact Dell to ask for recommended best-practice suggestions on BIOS configurations and check it whether it is a hardware problem.

If this is a hardware issue, you can get a replacement to resolve this issue.

Hope it helps.

Friday, July 25, 2008 3:29 AM
  •  

Thanks for the response.

I've checked through the BIOS a couple of times and there are no such options in there. This is a laptop, so perhaps S3 just built in and you can't turn it off? In any case, as I noted above, windows shows that S3 is available and enabled. I have the latest BIOS from Dell and have also tried resetting the settings to the defaults to no avail.

Note that Sleep is turned on and enabled in Vista, as well as Hibernate. It has worked successfully twice, but the other 20 times or so I have tried it it looks like it is going to to go sleep and then just turned off instead.

Friday, July 25, 2008 4:05 PM
  • This seems to be the same problem that I discovered recently... I would be doing some work on my computer and put it into sleep mode clicking Start-> shutdown -> sleep...when I come back to the computer, all my programs had closed. Thanks for autosave the first time I noticed it.. I am running  Vista x64 Ultimate....I had Vista x86 32 bit Ultimate and this issues did occur on this very machine.  :^(  What is going ON???!!! 

In my case, the computer
    reboots most of the time, sometimes it just shuts down.  I built the system and all parts passed Vista test. 
    Monday, July 28, 2008 9:36 AM
  • Hi,

Based on your feedback, I have discussed with my colleague, we have the following suggestions.

1.Normally, Dell have a power management option in BIOS, could you please double check it?

2.If possible, could you please switch the computer from S3 to S1 to test this issue?

If the related options cannot be found, it is recommended to contact Dell Support to check it since some computers hide advanced options in BIOS for security.

3.Can you test this issue in Clean Boot?

Clean Boot

===========================

1. Click Start, type "MSCONFIG" (without the quotations) in the Search Bar and Press "Enter" to start the System Configuration Utility.

2. Click the "Services" tab, check the "Hide All Microsoft Services" box and click "Disable All" (if it is not gray).

3. Click the "Startup" tab, click "Disable All" and click "OK".

4. Restart the computer.

Note: Clean Boot is a troubleshooting step. If some programs have been disabled, we can re-enable them later. If you see the System Configuration Utility, check the box of "Don't show this message" and then click "OK".

Please monitor the system in the Clean Boot environment. If the problem does not occur, it indicates that the problem is related to one application or service we have disabled. You may use the MSCONFIG tool again to re-enable the disabled item one by one to find out the culprit.

As you know, event log will record all errors on system’s side. You mentioned event log didn’t record error when shutting down, my colleague and I suspect this issue may caused by third-party software/incorrect BIOS setting/hardware issue. If the BIOS settings are fine and this issue also can be re-produced in Clean Boot. I suggest you call Dell to check whether there is a hardware issue since it is a new computer. Thank you for your cooperation.

For your convenience:

Dell Support

http://support.dell.com/

Please Note: Since the web site is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

Hope it helps.

Tuesday, July 29, 2008 10:11 AM
  • Hi,

As this thread has been quiet for a while, we assume that the issue has been resolved. At this time, we will mark it as ‘Answered’ as the previous steps should be helpful for many similar scenarios.

If the issue still persists and you want to return to this question, please reply this post directly so we will be notified to follow it up. You can also choose to unmark the answer as you wish.

In addition, we’d love to hear your feedback about the solution. By sharing your experience you can help other community members facing similar problems.

Thanks!

Monday, August 4, 2008 9:39 AM
  •  

This problem has not been resolved yet.

Through trial and error I found that the situation has improved somewhat by turning off the Dell Quickset from the startup programs. However the problem still occurs intermittently. Now that it occurs intermittently, it is much more difficult to determine if turning on or off various things is helping or not.

Any other suggestions?

Monday, August 4, 2008 5:28 PM
  • Hi lex3001,

Thank you for your feedback.

Based on the latest information, I suggest you check whether there are other power management programs on the computer. If so, please temporary remove them to test this issue.

As I mentioned, my colleague and I suspect there is a hardware issue on the laptop. In order to narrow down the root cause, could you please backup data and restore your computer to factory mode?

If it is a hardware issue, please contact Dell to get a replacement.

Thanks!

Tuesday, August 5, 2008 7:21 AM
  •  

Hi, thanks again for replying and trying to help with this.

Could you please be more specific about what you mean by "power management programs"? As far as I know, I do not have any installed.

As for your other suggestion, "factory mode" would be Windows XP and the computer did not have any sleep problems before when Windows XP was installed on it. Dell does explicitly list Vista 64-bit as a supported operating system for this laptop and I don't plan to go back to XP.

I wouldn't be surprised to find out that this is some sort of driver compatibility issue or something like that, but it I also think it is probably related to SP1 (our Vista media has SP1 built in, so I never had Vista without SP1 installed). This appears to be a problem that others are having as well. Again, this happens with both sleep and hibernate mode.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/951218 (I tried this and it did not solve it for me)

http://www.howtofixcomputers.com/forums/windows-vista/hibernate-fails-after-installing-sp1-133550.html

http://forums.microsoft.com/TechNet/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2953139&SiteID=17

http://www.vistaheads.com/forums/microsoft-public-windows-vista-general/197920-hibernate-fails-after-installing-sp1.html

http://www.makiwa.com/index.php/2008/04/13/vista-hibernate-problem/

Tuesday, August 5, 2008 5:21 PM
  • Hi,

Thank you for your reply.

Regarding the power management program, I means the program which can control computer power supply, change processor level. Dell Quickset has power management function.

According your description, you suspect this is a Windows Vista SP1 compatibility issue and you have Windows Vista SP1 media. As I do not have same hardware test environment, in order to narrow down whether it is a compatibility issue, could you please cleanly install Windows Vista to test this issue?

Note: In a Clean Installation, existing data is removed. This data includes personal data and settings. After you install the Operating System, you must also reinstall all programs. Make sure that you back up personal data before you perform a Clean Installation.

1. Start the computer by using the Windows Vista DVD. To do this, insert the Windows Vista DVD into the DVD drive, and then restart the computer.

Note: To start the computer from the Windows Vista DVD, the computer must be configured to start from the DVD drive. For more information about how to configure the computer to start from the DVD drive, see the documentation that is included with the computer, or contact the computer manufacturer.

2. When the "Press any key to boot from DVD" message is displayed on the screen, press a key.

3. Please input the language and other preferences, click Next and click Install Now.

4. Please input the product key when we are prompted.

5. After reading the license terms, check the box beside "I accept the license terms" and click Next.

6. Please click the box "Custom (Advanced)" to perform a clean installation of Windows Vista.

7. Choose a partition to install the system, then click Next.

8. Follow the instructions on the screen to finish the installation.

For more information:

How to install Windows Vista

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/918884

Thank you for your cooperation.

Wednesday, August 6, 2008 6:46 AM
  •  

Hi --

The issue occured maybe 90% of the time and then I uninstalled Dell Quickset. Since then the problem still occurs intermittently, but more like 10% of the time. I am not aware of any other power management software on the system.

In regards to the suggestion of a clean install -- this is a clean install. I formatedd the hard drive etc and installed Vista (with SP1) from scratch as you describe above.

Wednesday, August 6, 2008 4:13 PM
  • One additional note. As I stated above, the computer turns off instead of going to sleep maybe 10% of the time now. I don't use hibernate on a regular basis, but the computer power settings were set to hibernate after a few hours. I have noticed that when this setting was one, if the computer did go to sleep successfully, then a couple hours later it would wake up and attempt to hibernate, but in that case it always turned off instead of hibernating correctly. I turned this feature off (hibernate after 0 minutes) so that it would just stay in sleep mode until the next day when I use it again.

Wednesday, August 6, 2008 4:16 PM
  • Hi,

Thank you for your cooperation. You indicated this is a clean install Windows Vista.

Please understand that Windows Vista has been thoroughly tested before officially released. Technically, it is very abnormal that unexpected problem still occur after you cleanly installed Windows Vista on this computer. Therefore, I recommended that we check the following:

1. Windows Vista installation media: Is it retail version, OEM version, or beta version?

2. Installation information: Are there any error message during the installation?

At same time, I strongly recommend you contact Dell to check whether this is a hardware issue. Based on my experience, many unexpected problems in a new computer are mostly caused by hardware issue. Thank you for your understanding.

Hope it helps.

Thursday, August 7, 2008 7:00 AM
  •  

This is the retail Vista SP1 media from the MSDN library (we are an ms gold certififed partner). There were no error messages during installation, and I installed all the drivers and software from Dell's website. When the computer previously had XP on it there were no problems using stand by or hibernate that I am aware of.

Thursday, August 7, 2008 3:08 PM
  • Hi,

Windows Vista has a great improving on Power Management, and it has strict hardware requirements. Although this computer can work in Windows XP, it may fail in Windows Vista. Still suggest you contact Dell to have a hardware checking. Thank you for your understanding.

For more information about Power Management in Windows Vista, you can refer to the following information.

Windows Vista Power Management

http://windowsvistablog.com/blogs/windowsvista/archive/2006/12/08/windows-vista-power-management.aspx

Power Management In Windows Vista (Microsoft Office Power Point required)

http://download.microsoft.com/download/5/b/9/5b97017b-e28a-4bae-ba48-174cf47d23cd/CPA075_WH06.ppt

Hope it helps.

Friday, August 8, 2008 7:45 AM
  •  

Thanks - Dell confirms that this laptop hardware is supported in Vista 32-bit and Vista 64-bit.

I have not had the sleep problem in quite some time, so I am hoping that is resolved.

I do continue to have the same problem with Hibernate though. This is consistent -- every time I hibernate, 100% of the time. I disabled all the devices I could and tried diagnostic mode with msconfig also and the problem persists.

The problem seems to be described in http://support.microsoft.com/kb/951218 but this fix does not work. However after reading several forum postings it seems that the KB article fix does not work if there is a boot loader. I do have PGP Whole Disk Encryption (http://download.pgp.com/pdfs/datasheets/PGP_WDE_DS.pdf) installed which boots before Windows boots. I am wondering if that is why the fix does not work -- and how can I fix it in that case? I can uninstall PGP temporarily but I need a permanent fix as our data needs to stay encrypted. It will take about 12 hours to descrypt the whole drive and uninstall it.

Friday, August 8, 2008 9:44 PM
  • I have this problem on a Compaq V3000z notebook and I know it's a compat issue with SP1.

I have non SP1 Vista media. I've reinstalled windows multiple times, ran windows update, slept it, hibernated it, etc without a single issue. The minute that SP1 finishes installing on the machine the problem surfaces.

I have tried the solution described in http://support.microsoft.com/kb/951218 and before and after running the bcdedit /deletevalue command the output of "bcdedit -enum all" looks like the output below. I can't delete it twice, but it always shows up still. It looks like I, like Lex, have a boot loader too (though I don't know how it got there) and it appears to use the hibernate identifier.

Robinson, if you're in Redmond I can swing by your office anytime and demo the failure for you.

Windows Boot Manager
    --------------------
    identifier              {bootmgr}
    device                  partition=C:
    description             Windows Boot Manager
    locale                  en-US
    inherit                 {globalsettings}
    default                 {current}
    resumeobject            {2311c0a7-667c-11dd-8d5d-c2ebd7568092}
    displayorder            {current}
    toolsdisplayorder       {memdiag}
    timeout                 30

Windows Boot Loader
    -------------------
    identifier              {current}
    path                    \Windows\system32\winload.exe
    description             Microsoft Windows Vista
    inherit                 {bootloadersettings}
    osdevice                partition=C:
    systemroot              \Windows
    resumeobject            {2311c0a7-667c-11dd-8d5d-c2ebd7568092}
    nx                      OptIn

Resume from Hibernate
    ---------------------
    identifier              {2311c0a7-667c-11dd-8d5d-c2ebd7568092}
    path                    \Windows\system32\winresume.exe
    description             Windows Resume Application
    filedevice              partition=C:
    filepath                \hiberfil.sys
    pae                     Yes
    debugoptionenabled      No

Thursday, January 8, 2009 1:09 AM
  • I too have this problem.
    I have a Dell Precision M6400 laptop running Vista 64bit.

I have disabled Hybrid Sleep, but 8 times out of 10 when I hibernate the system the screen goes black, the hard disk whurs for 5+ minutes then the system reboots.

This has caused a number of problems - not least when I think that I've put the machine away in my briefcase - only to find it 2 hrs later *very* hot and still running.

I am running Vista Ultimate SP1 (non OEM - I cleared the Dell image off the system)

I have tried a clean boot- but this doesn't seem to have any impact on the problem. I have also re-installed a completely clean version of Vista 64 bit and it still happened (I did take an image of my system first so that I lost nothing aside from the 40minutes or so for the install).

Any suggestions gratefully recieved.

M

Tuesday, March 10, 2009 8:41 PM