Computer Sporadically Locks Up RRS feed

• Question

• I've been experiencing a variety of computer lock ups/crashes over the past couple weeks, and they have taken two different forms.

Most of the time, my system simply stops running, whatever was on my screen stays there, if my speakers were playing sound at the time, they keep buzzing at the same pitch, my USB devices power off, and the system proceeds to do nothing in response to any input, including holding the power button. This first variety of crash typically happens within a short interval of powering my computer up from a cold start (it was off for at least a few hours before I started it up,) and has not happened repeatedly in a single session of use; if it happens once and I restart the system, it has ran fine until after I've powered it down again for a few hours. This has happened before Windows even finishes booting up, and has also happened as late as about 15 minutes after I started using my computer.

Based on a similar description, a friend of mine who is a Computer Engineering student suggested to me that the cause may be electrostatic buildup, and/or a failing motherboard. Does this make sense? It would bite to have it replaced and not actually fix my problem. Another potential cause that I found via a google search said that duplicate device drivers may sometimes lead to lock ups like this, and I found I have two identical drivers for my processor (which I was smart enough not to mess with- the proposed solution was "delete both of them and let your system fix it".)

More recently, I've also been experiencing blue screens, many hours after startup. As a rule, they always occur when entering or exiting a fullscreen application. I think the cause of this problem may be unrelated, as the symptoms seem so different, but I can't be sure. The error message I get when the computer restarts on its own after this type of crash is as follows:

Problem signature:
      Problem Event Name:    BlueScreen
      OS Version:    6.1.7600.2.0.0.256.48
      Locale ID:    1033

Additional information about the problem:
      BCCode:    116
      BCP1:    FFFFFA8003C094E0
      BCP2:    FFFFF8800FF58CF8
      BCP3:    0000000000000000
      BCP4:    0000000000000002
      OS Version:    6_1_7600
      Service Pack:    0_0
      Product:    256_1

Files that help describe the problem:
      C:\Windows\Minidump\091610-15818-01.dmp
      C:\Users\Tony\AppData\Local\Temp\WER-38360-0.sysdata.xml

The bluescreen itself mentioned something about a GFX driver... or something like that, but it vanished too fast for me to read much of it, let alone write it down. I DID recently update my video card driver, and that was before the first crash of this variety.

Are these problems related, and either way, how should I go about trying to fix them?

Friday, September 17, 2010 12:38 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Based on your description, we need to troubleshoot the issue and determine if it is caused by hardware or software\driver.

Certain things you can try are to find out the root cause of the problem are given below.

1.  Have a look whether you can reproduce the problem in safe mode.

Start your computer in safe mode

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/Start-your-computer-in-safe-mode

If behavior doesn’t persist in safe mode, it indicates that a third party program or service is preventing you from performing the action as supposed to.

To validate or determine which service/startup item could be causing this, restart the computer and boot to desktop normally. Once done, perform clean boot.

2.  Clean Boot prevents software conflicts by preventing the startup items and non Microsoft services from loading. This way you can safely follow the process of elimination to check which application is causing this behavior.

Refer:

How to troubleshoot a problem by performing a clean boot in Windows Vista or in Windows 7

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

Note: Ensure that you put your computer back to normal startup mode after completing the troubleshooting steps. Steps are available in the article given above.

Regards,

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    Tuesday, September 21, 2010 9:44 AM
  • The first variety of crash has occurred in safe mode before now. The second has stopped occurring altogether without me actually doing anything about it.
    Thursday, September 23, 2010 2:48 PM