Windows 7 x64 Locks up - No error code RRS feed

• Question

• Since installing my new home PC system in February, I've been plagued with windows randomly freezing, and to clarify, I mean everything stops, no mouse movement, no disk activity and no input response.

My system is as follows:
    Operating System: Windows 7 Professional 64-bit (Service Pack 1)
    Processor: Intel Core i7 2600K
    Memory: 2x4GB G.Skill DDR3-1333
    Motherboard: Gigabyte P67A-UD3P-B3 (Rev 1.1)
    Graphics: AMD Radeon HD6950
    Storage: 60GB Corsair Force Series SSD (System)
    Storage: 2x1TB WD 7.2K 64MB HDDs (RAID0)
    Storage: 1x2TB Samsung 5400 32MB (External)
    PSU: OCZ 600W StealthXStream

The lockups seem to happen anywhere from multiple times per day to a recent stretch of 7 days without one. There seems to be no common factor in the circumstances of the lockups. They occur almost randomly, with no obvious correlation to what I was doing at the time. I've had freezes happen when the computer was idle, when I was casually browsing the internet or using the computer under minimal load, but they've also happened when I've been playing demanding games or running other CPU-intensive software.

The lockups themselves are characterized by all computer activity stopping, save a static display of whatever was on my screen at the time, and occasionally crackling or repeating sound from my speakers. The presence of noise doesn't seem to be related to what I was doing at the time, either, as I've had crackling sound arise when the computer was idle.

The lockups leave no trace in the event viewer other than a message to say the system was shut down unexpectedly, and there is no bugcheckcode given. The only time my current system has bluescreened is when I installed an incorrect driver for my onboard audio, although that was fairly recent, and the problem has persisted since long before then.

The problem itself was not present on my old PC, which used the same graphics card and power supply, and additionally, I have since replaced my motherboard with a newer model (The old one was a first-generation Gigabyte P67A-UD3P, it is now a UD3P-B3), and the problem still persists.

I've not tested the RAM outside of windows itself, but stress-testing it does not appear to provoke these freezes. I have had no related stop errors, and in all cases I have had faulty ram in the past, it almost always resulted in a BSOD.

I am suspecting the issue will be either my SSD system drive, my power supply or the processor itself. I had previously suspected an electrical fault in the motherboard, but that didn't seem to be the case.

Does anyone have any insight into this problem, or any more effective ways I can troubleshoot it?

Tuesday, April 19, 2011 2:43 PM

Answers

• I'll leave it running in Safe Mode while I'm out/asleep, then, and see if it has crashed when I get back. It seems to like going for long stretches without issue, which is annoying for something that locks up my system. CPU temperature isn't too high, as this crash usually happens when the CPU is under minimal load, or even idle. I ran Memtest86+ last night and the memory completed two passes without error, so my memory would seem to be fine. If I still get crashes in the next couple of weeks, I'm going to buy a different power supply. My current one is an $80 model, though, and I never had this issue prior to upgrading the rest of my hardware and reinstalling Windows, so it would be pretty strange if it was the problem.

With my hardware being new products bought in early 2011, only the HDDs are listed in the Compatibility Center, but that said, the hardware is specifically designed to run Windows 7 32/64-bit, and from what I can tell, processors and memory aren't listed anyway. All of my hardware devices are running the latest manufacturer-supplied drivers, and my motherboard bios is up-to-date excluding one update that fixes an issue that doesn't apply to me.

I updated the firmware on my SSD last night, which may have fixed it, but as the problem occurs so erratically, I can't really say I'm safe until a couple of weeks have passed without issue.

• Marked as answer by Leo Huang Wednesday, April 27, 2011 7:18 AM
    Thursday, April 21, 2011 7:35 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Please unplug all necessary hardware and login with Safe Mode. If the issue occurs with Safe Mode, the problem should related with hardware itself. Maybe CPU temperature is too high, memory broken or power unstable. You should contact the hardware manufacturer for further help.

Furthermore, please check these hardware are compatible with Windows 7, you can check it  on Windows 7 Compatibility Center, also update hardware driver and BIOS to the latest version for test.

If BSOD appear, please collect dump file and  Upload to SkyDrive

Regards,

Leo   Huang

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Thursday, April 21, 2011 6:14 AM
  • I'll leave it running in Safe Mode while I'm out/asleep, then, and see if it has crashed when I get back. It seems to like going for long stretches without issue, which is annoying for something that locks up my system. CPU temperature isn't too high, as this crash usually happens when the CPU is under minimal load, or even idle. I ran Memtest86+ last night and the memory completed two passes without error, so my memory would seem to be fine. If I still get crashes in the next couple of weeks, I'm going to buy a different power supply. My current one is an $80 model, though, and I never had this issue prior to upgrading the rest of my hardware and reinstalling Windows, so it would be pretty strange if it was the problem.

With my hardware being new products bought in early 2011, only the HDDs are listed in the Compatibility Center, but that said, the hardware is specifically designed to run Windows 7 32/64-bit, and from what I can tell, processors and memory aren't listed anyway. All of my hardware devices are running the latest manufacturer-supplied drivers, and my motherboard bios is up-to-date excluding one update that fixes an issue that doesn't apply to me.

I updated the firmware on my SSD last night, which may have fixed it, but as the problem occurs so erratically, I can't really say I'm safe until a couple of weeks have passed without issue.

• Marked as answer by Leo Huang Wednesday, April 27, 2011 7:18 AM
    Thursday, April 21, 2011 7:35 AM
  • Hi,

That seem the issue is fixed right now.

Since the issue occurs erratically, if you meet the same issue again, please let me know.

Regards,

Leo   Huang

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Thursday, April 21, 2011 9:28 AM