Document Conversion error 6102 RRS feed

• Question

• This error:

6102 Critical LoadBalancer.RegisterLauncher failed:  The underlying connection was closed: An unexpected error occurred on a send.

is followed by:

7jgs Medium   Loadbalancer not running or available to launcher id 1

I have 2 wfe's running the launchers under the local system account and a single balancer running under the Network System ona dedicated machine. The 2 wfes are under Microsoft Network Load Balancer.

When I run the conversion I get the CS_BACKENDUNAVAILABLE.

The steps I have taken in an effort to resolve the problem (shown below) resulted in a single change:

"6102 Critical LoadBalancer.RegisterLauncher failed:  Unable to connect to the remote server "

changed to

"6102 Critical LoadBalancer.RegisterLauncher failed:  The underlying connection was closed: An unexpected error occurred on a send."

Here are the steps I took to accomplish that:

1. Delete the HVU_ user account from all servers in the farm.
      Go to Computer Management --> Local users and Groups --> Users. Right click the HVU_ user and select delete.

2. Stop the Load Balance Service & Document Launcher service.
     Use Central Admin or use  stsadmin commands on the servers.

dedicated Load Balancer
      stsadm -o provisionservice -action stop -servicetype "Microsoft.Office.Server.Conversions.LoadBalancerService, Microsoft.Office.Server.Conversions, Version=12.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=71e9bce111e9429c" -servicename DCLoadBalancer
      iisreset /noforce

dedicated Document Launchers

stsadm -o provisionservice -action stop -servicetype "Microsoft.Office.Server.Conversions.LauncherService, Microsoft.Office.Server.Conversions, Version=12.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=71e9bce111e9429c" -servicename DCLauncher
      iisreset /noforce

3. From the Computer Management Console set the Launcher service to use local system account, and the Balancer Service to use local service account.

4. Disable Document Conversion for all the sites on the Server.
     Central Administration --> Application Management --> Configure Document Conversions.
     Under "Enable Document Conversions " set to no, click "Apply" and select the next web application.

5. Start the Services from Central Admin.
     Use Central Admin or use  stsadmin commands on the servers.

(dedicated Load Balancer)
      stsadm -o provisionservice -action start -servicetype "Microsoft.Office.Server.Conversions.LoadBalancerService, Microsoft.Office.Server.Conversions, Version=12.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=71e9bce111e9429c" -servicename DCLoadBalancer
      iisreset /noforce 

(dedicated Document Launchers)
      stsadm -o provisionservice -action start -servicetype "Microsoft.Office.Server.Conversions.LauncherService, Microsoft.Office.Server.Conversions, Version=12.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=71e9bce111e9429c" -servicename DCLauncher
      iisreset /noforce

6. Enable Document Conversion for the sites.
     Central Administration --> Application Management --> Configure Document Conversions.
     Under "Enable Document Conversions " set to "yes", click "Apply" and select the next web application.

7. Start a conversion (HVU account gets created and enabled by the system during this process).

8. add the appropriate rights (Admin, Guest, WSS_WPG).

Computer Management --> Local USers and Groups --> users
     Right click HVU_user
     click 'Member of' tab
     add the groups. Be sure hat the "From this Location:" window shows the machine name. These are local and NOT domain accounts.

9. Give this account log on locally rights from the Local Security Policy settings.

10. Drain stop each wfe in Microsoft Network Load Balancer before rebooting each web front end.

Any insights would be appreciated as this problem has plagued me for months and we really really need this to work for a solution we are developing.

We are running Windows Server 2003 Enterprise and SP 2007
    Monday, April 4, 2011 5:58 PM

All replies

• Hi,

According to your description, the error “the underlying connection was closed: an unexpected error occurred on a send” seems a issue rooted from SSL.
    And I need to know:
    1.        Which method did you use in your solution.
    2.        The version of your framework.
    Please let me know more information.
    In my limited experience, the correct approach is:
    The resolution to this issue, after opening a case with Microsoft support, was to install and run SSLDiag and verify that there is an issue with the certificate that is generated automatically for the Office Server Web Service during the install of SharePoint.  Once that is verified, install SelfSSL, remove the offending cert and create a new one with SelfSSL.  It appears to be an issue that occurs when you have the .net 3.5 framework installed prior to installing SharePoint.

Best Regards
    David Hu

Wednesday, April 6, 2011 1:59 AM
  • Hi David,

Thank you for your reply! I'm working on getting the AMD64 version of this tool installed correctly on our server. The Framework 3.5 was installed 3 days prior to Sharepoint being installed. however, We are executing under version 2.0 of the framework. This server matches the requirements to have the issue with the ssl.

What do you mean by Question 1? I'm not sure what you mean by 'method'.

Is there a way to identify which certificate belongs to Sharepoint specificaly? Perhaps a registry key I can check?

The reason I have shied away from this solution in the past was that, firstly, I did not know of a tool to diagnose and confirm the issue and  and secondly our Search is working without a hitch and it supposedly uses the same ssl certificate. I don't see how the cert could be malformed if search uses it without an error but clearly I'm not understanding something about the internals.

Thank you!

Wednesday, April 6, 2011 2:05 PM
  • This issue has not yet been resolved. I'm awaiting a response to my initial reply.

When I ran DiagSSL on one of my front ends the "Office Server Web Services" I got the following output:

#WARNING:CertVerifyCertificateChainPolicy returned error -2146762487(0x800b0109)

We have five of these warnings but, obviously, with more than '1' and '2' in the siteid fields.

#WARNING:Site 1 and 2 have conflicting SecureBindings

Friday, April 8, 2011 4:54 PM
  • any ideas what to do if the HVU account doesn't get re-created?
    Wednesday, March 7, 2012 9:08 PM
  • Excuse me Kansas Coder, but do you assume that everyone is a computer expert ? ? ?

Cheerio, Hartmut  :-) 

Tuesday, December 12, 2017 1:32 PM