Driver Power State Failures RRS feed

• Question

• Folks, need your help with interpreting the mini-dmp file.  I have had this issue every time the system comes out of sleep mode and the BSOD.  I have downgrade and upgraded the drivers for NW card and Video card but no luck.

Any help would be appreciated as this did not o0ccur until I reinstalled windows on 11/20/2018.

Here is a link to the minidump files on OneDrive

https://1drv.ms/f/s!AuHRgR9OqIHsmVcC5dIBBRQPk255

Sunday, December 2, 2018 1:59 AM

Answers

• the last crash (120118-6234-01.dmp) was in atapi.sys with an Seagate HDD (but 120118-6156-01.dmp was the same).
    I don't understand why atapi.sys is even used.
    Either you did not enable AHCI in bios, or you did not install chipset drivers?
    Or does the old mainboard only support IDE?

120118-6234-01.dmp was a  DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE (9f)
    A driver has failed to complete a power IRP within a specific time.
    Arguments:
    Arg1: 0000000000000003, A device object has been blocking an Irp for too long a time
    Arg2: ffffc481f8252570, Physical Device Object of the stack
    Arg3: fffff8032f05ea10, nt!TRIAGE_9F_POWER on Win7 and higher, otherwise the Functional Device Object of the stack
    Arg4: ffffc4820182f010, The blocked IRP
    FAULTING_MODULE: fffff80cb7950000 atapi

!devstack ffffc481f8252570
      !DevObj           !DrvObj            !DevExt           ObjectName
      ffffc481f833a860  \Driver\partmgr    ffffc481f833a9b0  InfoMask field not found for _OBJECT_HEADER at ffffc481f833a830
      ffffc481f84ee060  \Driver\Disk       ffffc481f84ee1b0  InfoMask field not found for _OBJECT_HEADER at ffffc481f84ee030
      ffffc481f824be20  \Driver\ACPI       ffffc481f6743020  InfoMask field not found for _OBJECT_HEADER at ffffc481f824bdf0
    > ffffc481f8252570  \Driver\atapi      ffffc481f82526c0  Cannot read info offset from nt!ObpInfoMaskToOffset

!DevNode ffffc481f8262bc0 :
      DeviceInst is "IDE\DiskST1000DM003-9YN162______________________CC4B____\6&622b57f&0&1.0.0"
      ServiceName is "disk"

• Edited by EckiS Sunday, December 2, 2018 10:24 AM
    • Marked as answer by bobj1 Tuesday, December 4, 2018 1:21 AM
    Sunday, December 2, 2018 10:20 AM
  • Folks, thanks for all your help.  To resolve the problem I removed the second drive (Seagate) and I put it into an enclosure i had and made it into an external hard drive (USB) for backup purposes.  This resolved the issue with Sleep and waking up.  

I have a older Rev 1.0 Mother Board and the Gigabyte utilities do not support 64 bit Windows which I am running.  I could use the Q-Flash utility built into the motherboard to fix the IDE compatibility issue and may try that but since I have resolved the issue, I will wait on that understanding I am losing some performance from the SSD drive but I am willing to live with that in the short term.

I want to thank all of you that responded, especially Eckis as your post gave the information needed to identify the Seagate drive as the issue.  Had that little tid bit not been given, I would have to go thru with posting all of the information requested by the forum. 

Thanks again and I consider this issue closed and thanks again for your support.

• Marked as answer by bobj1 Tuesday, December 4, 2018 1:20 AM
    Tuesday, December 4, 2018 1:20 AM

All replies

• 1) There were 5 mini dump files all with bugcheck 9F.

2) There was one misbehaving driver identified.

3) There have been multiple BIOS revisions and the computer is not yet up to date.

4) To evaluate the BSOD please post logs for troubleshooting.

Using administrative command prompt copy and paste this whole command.

5) Make sure the default language is English so that the logs can be scanned and read.

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/3813-language-add-remove-change-windows-10-a.html

The command will automatically collect the computer files and place them on the desktop.

6) Then use 7zip to organize the files and one drive or drop box to place share links into the thread for troubleshooting.

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Share-OneDrive-files-and-folders-9fcc2f7d-de0c-4cec-93b0-a82024800c07

This command will automatically collect these files:  msinfo32, mini dumps, drivers, hosts, install, uninstall, services, startup, event viewer files, etc.

7) Open administrative command prompt and copy and paste the whole command:

copy %SystemRoot%\minidump\*.dmp "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\"&dxdiag /t %Temp%\dxdiag.txt&copy %Temp%\dxdiag.txt "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\SFdebugFiles\"&type %SystemRoot%\System32\drivers\etc\hosts >> "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\hosts.txt"&systeminfo > "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\systeminfo.txt"&driverquery /v > "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\drivers.txt" &msinfo32 /nfo "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\msinfo32.nfo"&wevtutil qe System /f:text > "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\eventlog.txt"&reg export HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\uninstall.txt"&reg export "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Active Setup\Installed Components" "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\installed.txt"&net start > "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\services.txt"&REM wmic startup list full /format:htable >"%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\startup.html"&wmic STARTUP GET Caption, Command, User >"%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\startup.txt"

8) There are two files for you to find manually:

a) C:\Windows\MEMORY.DMP

Use file explorer > this PC > local C: drive > right upper corner search enter the above to find results.

b) dxdiag:  

In the left lower corner search type:  dxdiag > When the DirectX Diagnostic Tool opens click on the next page button so that each tab is opened > click on save all information > save to desktop > post one drive or drop box share link into the thread

9) Open administrative command prompt and type or copy and paste:
    10) sfc /scannow
    11) dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth
    12) chkdsk /scan
    13) When these have completed > right click on the top bar or title bar of the administrative command prompt box > left click on edit then select all > right click on the top bar again > left click on edit then copy > paste into the thread
    14) Make sure that there is no over clocking while troubleshooting.

15) The computer has a 2008 BIOS version and there were multiple updates for:

Enhanced memory compatibility
    Support Intel Core i7 6 core processors
    Update new CPU microcode
    Improve VGA card compatibility
    Improve S3 resume compatibility
    Intel®Core™ i7 processor D-0 stepping support.

Please remember to vote and to mark the replies as answers if they help.

Sunday, December 2, 2018 5:34 AM
  • the last crash (120118-6234-01.dmp) was in atapi.sys with an Seagate HDD (but 120118-6156-01.dmp was the same).
    I don't understand why atapi.sys is even used.
    Either you did not enable AHCI in bios, or you did not install chipset drivers?
    Or does the old mainboard only support IDE?

120118-6234-01.dmp was a  DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE (9f)
    A driver has failed to complete a power IRP within a specific time.
    Arguments:
    Arg1: 0000000000000003, A device object has been blocking an Irp for too long a time
    Arg2: ffffc481f8252570, Physical Device Object of the stack
    Arg3: fffff8032f05ea10, nt!TRIAGE_9F_POWER on Win7 and higher, otherwise the Functional Device Object of the stack
    Arg4: ffffc4820182f010, The blocked IRP
    FAULTING_MODULE: fffff80cb7950000 atapi

!devstack ffffc481f8252570
      !DevObj           !DrvObj            !DevExt           ObjectName
      ffffc481f833a860  \Driver\partmgr    ffffc481f833a9b0  InfoMask field not found for _OBJECT_HEADER at ffffc481f833a830
      ffffc481f84ee060  \Driver\Disk       ffffc481f84ee1b0  InfoMask field not found for _OBJECT_HEADER at ffffc481f84ee030
      ffffc481f824be20  \Driver\ACPI       ffffc481f6743020  InfoMask field not found for _OBJECT_HEADER at ffffc481f824bdf0
    > ffffc481f8252570  \Driver\atapi      ffffc481f82526c0  Cannot read info offset from nt!ObpInfoMaskToOffset

!DevNode ffffc481f8262bc0 :
      DeviceInst is "IDE\DiskST1000DM003-9YN162______________________CC4B____\6&622b57f&0&1.0.0"
      ServiceName is "disk"

• Edited by EckiS Sunday, December 2, 2018 10:24 AM
    • Marked as answer by bobj1 Tuesday, December 4, 2018 1:21 AM
    Sunday, December 2, 2018 10:20 AM
  • So here is what I have determined.  I upgraded my drive to an SSD and the older Seagate drive I used as a backup drive.  When I remove the Segate drive, going into sleep and back again works as it should with no crashes.  Once I reinstall the drive, it creates the Driver Power State Failure.  The drive was reformatted thinking there may be some trace of corrupted data but the same error occurred once I went into sleep and then back with the Seagate drive installed.  I haven't begun to look for any posts or boards that mention this but wanted to let you know.

Appreciate your help and will let you know what I found. 

BTW, ACHI is not enabled and when I do enable it, I get all kinds of errors and it might be the age of the bios and will leave that alone for now.  The bios may be a problem with both the SSD and Seagate drive installed but at least I know what is causing the problem and now I will try to find the solution.

Monday, December 3, 2018 3:03 PM
  • So here is what I have determined.  I upgraded my drive to an SSD and the older Seagate drive I used as a backup drive.  When I remove the Segate drive, going into sleep and back again works as it should with no crashes.  Once I reinstall the drive, it creates the Driver Power State Failure.  The drive was reformatted thinking there may be some trace of corrupted data but the same error occurred once I went into sleep and then back with the Seagate drive installed.  I haven't begun to look for any posts or boards that mention this but wanted to let you know.

Appreciate your help and will let you know what I found. 

BTW, ACHI is not enabled and when I do enable it, I get all kinds of errors and it might be the age of the bios and will leave that alone for now.  The bios may be a problem with both the SSD and Seagate drive installed but at least I know what is causing the problem and now I will try to find the solution.
    Monday, December 3, 2018 3:03 PM
  • When available please post the results or the administrative prompt command into the thread.

A more comprehensive analysis can be performed to fix the misbehaving driver(s).

Monday, December 3, 2018 3:08 PM
  • Not sure what your asking me to post.  The same error occurs with the Seagate drive used as a second drive.
    Monday, December 3, 2018 3:15 PM
  • When available please post the share links for the results of these steps:

1) There were 5 mini dump files all with bugcheck 9F.

2) There was one misbehaving driver identified.

3) There have been multiple BIOS revisions and the computer is not yet up to date.

4) To evaluate the BSOD please post logs for troubleshooting.

Using administrative command prompt copy and paste this whole command.

5) Make sure the default language is English so that the logs can be scanned and read.

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/3813-language-add-remove-change-windows-10-a.html

The command will automatically collect the computer files and place them on the desktop.

6) Then use 7zip to organize the files and one drive or drop box to place share links into the thread for troubleshooting.

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Share-OneDrive-files-and-folders-9fcc2f7d-de0c-4cec-93b0-a82024800c07

This command will automatically collect these files:  msinfo32, mini dumps, drivers, hosts, install, uninstall, services, startup, event viewer files, etc.

7) Open administrative command prompt and copy and paste the whole command:

copy %SystemRoot%\minidump\*.dmp "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\"&dxdiag /t %Temp%\dxdiag.txt&copy %Temp%\dxdiag.txt "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\SFdebugFiles\"&type %SystemRoot%\System32\drivers\etc\hosts >> "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\hosts.txt"&systeminfo > "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\systeminfo.txt"&driverquery /v > "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\drivers.txt" &msinfo32 /nfo "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\msinfo32.nfo"&wevtutil qe System /f:text > "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\eventlog.txt"&reg export HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\uninstall.txt"&reg export "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Active Setup\Installed Components" "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\installed.txt"&net start > "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\services.txt"&REM wmic startup list full /format:htable >"%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\startup.html"&wmic STARTUP GET Caption, Command, User >"%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\startup.txt"

8) There are two files for you to find manually:

a) C:\Windows\MEMORY.DMP

Use file explorer > this PC > local C: drive > right upper corner search enter the above to find results.

b) dxdiag:  

In the left lower corner search type:  dxdiag > When the DirectX Diagnostic Tool opens click on the next page button so that each tab is opened > click on save all information > save to desktop > post one drive or drop box share link into the thread

9) Open administrative command prompt and type or copy and paste:
    10) sfc /scannow
    11) dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth
    12) chkdsk /scan
    13) When these have completed > right click on the top bar or title bar of the administrative command prompt box > left click on edit then select all > right click on the top bar again > left click on edit then copy > paste into the thread
    14) Make sure that there is no over clocking while troubleshooting.

15) The computer has a 2008 BIOS version and there were multiple updates for:

Enhanced memory compatibility
    Support Intel Core i7 6 core processors
    Update new CPU microcode
    Improve VGA card compatibility
    Improve S3 resume compatibility
    Intel®Core™ i7 processor D-0 stepping support.

Please remember to vote and to mark the replies as answers if they help.

Monday, December 3, 2018 8:19 PM
  • 1. running an SSD in IDE mode is wasting a lot of its performance.

2. depending on your mainboard revision, a bios update may fix the problem:
    GA-EX58-UD3R
    FB
    0.63 MB
    2009/05/04
    1. Fixed IDE compatibility

Monday, December 3, 2018 9:21 PM
  • Folks, thanks for all your help.  To resolve the problem I removed the second drive (Seagate) and I put it into an enclosure i had and made it into an external hard drive (USB) for backup purposes.  This resolved the issue with Sleep and waking up.  

I have a older Rev 1.0 Mother Board and the Gigabyte utilities do not support 64 bit Windows which I am running.  I could use the Q-Flash utility built into the motherboard to fix the IDE compatibility issue and may try that but since I have resolved the issue, I will wait on that understanding I am losing some performance from the SSD drive but I am willing to live with that in the short term.

I want to thank all of you that responded, especially Eckis as your post gave the information needed to identify the Seagate drive as the issue.  Had that little tid bit not been given, I would have to go thru with posting all of the information requested by the forum. 

Thanks again and I consider this issue closed and thanks again for your support.

• Marked as answer by bobj1 Tuesday, December 4, 2018 1:20 AM
    Tuesday, December 4, 2018 1:20 AM
  • Just an FYI, I have upgraded the BIOS to the latest version from Gigabyte using their @BIOS program to see if I can activate AHCI / SATA rather than just IDE to get the most from the SSD.  The latest BIOS, F11 dated 2010/03/12 was installed and my assumption is the latest BIOS also includes all previous version fixes.  Unfortunately, the Rev 1 motherboard does not have the BIOS mentioned above for IDE compatibility.

Tuesday, December 4, 2018 3:51 PM