Script or Executable Failed to run - How can I change configured script run time? RRS feed

• Question

• I've gotten this alert and suspect the cause is due to the Volume Shadow Copy service running at the same time as the script. I'd like to tweak this script and set it's timeout to say 60 seconds to see if I continue to get the Alert. I can't seem to find a way to do this. Anyone have a way?

Alert: Script or Executable Failed to run

Source: ocdaex01.da.ocgov.com

Path: ocdaex01.da.ocgov.com

Last modified by: System

Last modified time: 5/26/2009 7:30:45 PM Alert description: Forced to terminate the following process started at 7:30:05 PM because it ran past the configured timeout 30 seconds.

Command executed: "C:\WINDOWS\system32\cscript.exe" //NoLogo "C:\Program Files\System Center Operations Manager 2007\Health Service State\Monitoring Host Temporary Files 930\29897\LogEndToEndEvent.js"

Working Directory:      C:\Program Files\System Center Operations Manager 2007\Health Service State\Monitoring Host Temporary Files 930\29897\

One or more workflows were affected by this.

Workflow name: Microsoft.SystemCenter.AgentManagement.LogEndToEndEvent

Instance name: ocdaex01.da.ocgov.com

Instance ID: {A624692A-1BB8-F80A-A7BD-B7C171617ABE}

Orange County District Attorney
    Wednesday, May 27, 2009 2:41 PM

Answers

• Does this alert keep repeating, or was this a one-off occurrence?

Ordinarily we would not recommend adjusting the mom management pack settings.  When that script takes longer than 30 seconds to run, it probably won't come back if you make it wait longer.  What it does is write an event to the event log, and the mom MP picks up that event.  If you are getting this or similar timeouts repeatedly, try this.  Log into the agent managed host that this is coming from - and watch the CPU utilization and see which processes are using most of the resources.  A long running script, or another process at 100% cpu might be causing other time sensitive activities to fail.

While it might be vss - it might be something else so it pays to look.  If you can see what process is eating your CPU (if that is the issue) you can possibly take direct action instead of just trying to wait longer.

Microsoft Corporation
    • Marked as answer by Sandy Wood Wednesday, May 27, 2009 3:26 PM
    Wednesday, May 27, 2009 3:19 PM

All replies

• Does this alert keep repeating, or was this a one-off occurrence?

Ordinarily we would not recommend adjusting the mom management pack settings.  When that script takes longer than 30 seconds to run, it probably won't come back if you make it wait longer.  What it does is write an event to the event log, and the mom MP picks up that event.  If you are getting this or similar timeouts repeatedly, try this.  Log into the agent managed host that this is coming from - and watch the CPU utilization and see which processes are using most of the resources.  A long running script, or another process at 100% cpu might be causing other time sensitive activities to fail.

While it might be vss - it might be something else so it pays to look.  If you can see what process is eating your CPU (if that is the issue) you can possibly take direct action instead of just trying to wait longer.

Microsoft Corporation
    • Marked as answer by Sandy Wood Wednesday, May 27, 2009 3:26 PM
    Wednesday, May 27, 2009 3:19 PM
  • Honestly, this is the second time I've seen it, over a two week period.  The host is a virtual machine and can get maxxed out at times. Let me take your advice and watch it and see how it goes. If it's only a few times a week, we can live with it, if not I suppose we can override it to cut down on the chatter.

Thanks for the help!

Wednesday, May 27, 2009 3:26 PM
  • If I remember correctly... Didn't Marius Sutara told, that this script was omitted in post SP1 MPs as it provided false info?

Ingrifo - We Do SCOM
    Wednesday, May 27, 2009 3:29 PM
  • I've got rev 6.0.6321.5 of the Windows Server Operating Systems MP - is there a later MP than this?
    Wednesday, May 27, 2009 3:36 PM
  • Hi Sandy

That is the latest management pack.

To be honest, script timeouts are part of Operations Manager and while in theory every one should be investigated, in practice I tend to be more pragmatic and take the following line:
    - make the alert informational rather than warning.
    - create an alert view just for script alerts
    - check the repeat count of the script alerts.

If you get one or 2 a day then life is in general too short to get too involved. Obviously 10 an hour demands a bit of a higher priority.

Cheers

Graham
    Wednesday, May 27, 2009 4:34 PM
  • Thanks for the insight and of course the reality check! Perspective is important.

Wednesday, May 27, 2009 5:01 PM
  • Not really :).

What is disabled, by default, is the monitor which reacts on events raised from within this particular script. Script itself has not been removed. I believe monitor is still disabled in OpsMgr 2007 R2.
    Marius Sutara [MSFT] http://blogs.msdn.com/MariusSutara This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. Use of attachments are subject to the terms specified at http://www.microsoft.com/info/cpyright.htm
    Wednesday, May 27, 2009 5:38 PM
  • Not really :).

What is disabled, by default, is the monitor which reacts on events raised from within this particular script. Script itself has not been removed. I believe monitor is still disabled in OpsMgr 2007 R2.
    Marius Sutara [MSFT] http://blogs.msdn.com/MariusSutara This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. Use of attachments are subject to the terms specified at http://www.microsoft.com/info/cpyright.htm
    Thanks Marius for clearing it up :)

Ingrifo - We Do SCOM
    Wednesday, May 27, 2009 6:25 PM