WSUS Stuck? RRS feed

• Question

• Really weird issue where the download stops at the same point... please see attached image.

Alex Olver

Wednesday, April 20, 2016 11:25 PM

Answers

• Hi brimanyo,

What is the version of your WSUS server? Have you installed KB 3095113 to upgrade your WSUS server.

If not, please install KB3095113 to upgrade your WSUS server. As far as I know, when upgrade WSUS server, it will update the related certificates.

Important update for WSUS 4.0 (KB 3095113)

http://blogs.technet.com/b/wsus/archive/2015/12/04/important-update-for-wsus-4-0-kb-3095113.aspx

Update to enable WSUS support for Windows 10 feature upgrades:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3095113

Best Regards,

Anne

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by brimanyo Thursday, April 28, 2016 11:36 PM
    Thursday, April 28, 2016 2:04 AM
  • Hi brmanyo,

Could you descript the detailed situation now?

Tip, if your issue now is not related with the original issue in this post, it is recommended to create a new post, so that you can get better help. And since it is a new post, more people will see it and provide help.

Best Regards,

Anne

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by brimanyo Tuesday, May 10, 2016 5:45 AM
    Tuesday, May 10, 2016 5:36 AM

All replies

• Hi brimanyo,

Please check the WSUS event log to find event 364, it may indicate the reason why the download is failed.

You may also post the detailed information of event 364 here to troubleshoot.

Best Regards,

Anne

Thursday, April 21, 2016 5:13 AM
  • Where are the log files you are talking about?

Alex Olver

Thursday, April 21, 2016 5:22 AM
  • Hi brimanyo,

Check Event Viewer>Customer Views>Server roles>Windows Server Update Services

Best Regards,

Anne

Thursday, April 21, 2016 5:25 AM
  • - System
    - Provider
    [ Name] Windows Server Update Services
    - EventID 364
    [ Qualifiers] 0
    Level 2
    Task 2
    Keywords 0x80000000000000
    - TimeCreated
    [ SystemTime] 2016-03-02T19:32:05.000000000Z
    EventRecordID 35047
    Channel Application
    Computer
    Security
    - EventData
    Content file download failed. Reason: File cert verification failure. Source File: /d/upgr/2015/12/10586.0.151029-1700.th2_release_clienteducation_vol_x86fre_en-us_00df32927b9931dac3976bec43bd5c0f2ede0b92.esd Destination File: C:\WSUS\WsusContent\92\00DF32927B9931DAC3976BEC43BD5C0F2EDE0B92.esd.

• Edited by brimanyo Thursday, April 21, 2016 5:51 AM
    Thursday, April 21, 2016 5:28 AM
  • Hi brimanyo,

>Content file download failed. Reason: File cert verification failure.

According to the error reason, you may check if you have root certificates store in the "Trusted root certification authorities" and ensure they are not expired.

You may update your WSUS server, it may help update the CTL of the certifications.

Also check if you "turn off Automatic Root Certificates Update" in Local Group Policy Editor>Computer Configuration>Administrative Templates>System>Internet Communication settings, if yes, "not configure" this policy.

Best Regards,

Anne

Monday, April 25, 2016 7:37 AM
  • Hi Anne,

Can you explain how to do the first two steps?

Thanks.

Alex Olver

Monday, April 25, 2016 10:47 PM
  • Hi brimanyo,

Just check for update for your WSUS server.

Best Regards,

Anne

Tuesday, April 26, 2016 1:30 AM
  • No updates needed it's running on Server 2012 and all up to date.

How do I sort the certificate issue?

Alex Olver

Tuesday, April 26, 2016 1:31 AM
  • Hi brimanyo,

In cmd, run mmc, add certificate snap-in, check certificates in trusted root certification authorities:

Check if the certificates are expired, double click the certificate, check the validation time:

Besides, have you configured SSL for WSUS?

Best Regards,

Anne

Tuesday, April 26, 2016 1:39 AM
  • I don't have any certs installed on the server I don't think I have set up SSL? Its all default settings.

Alex Olver

Tuesday, April 26, 2016 1:51 AM
  • Hi brimanyo,

What about the trusted root certificates?

We may have several trusted root certificates by default even we don't manually import them manually.

Best Regards,

Anne

Tuesday, April 26, 2016 2:01 AM
  • Hi,

I have a few certificates that have expired on the server is there a particular one I need to be looking for?

Alex Olver

Wednesday, April 27, 2016 2:42 AM
  • Hi brimanyo,

What is the version of your WSUS server? Have you installed KB 3095113 to upgrade your WSUS server.

If not, please install KB3095113 to upgrade your WSUS server. As far as I know, when upgrade WSUS server, it will update the related certificates.

Important update for WSUS 4.0 (KB 3095113)

http://blogs.technet.com/b/wsus/archive/2015/12/04/important-update-for-wsus-4-0-kb-3095113.aspx

Update to enable WSUS support for Windows 10 feature upgrades:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3095113

Best Regards,

Anne

• Marked as answer by brimanyo Thursday, April 28, 2016 11:36 PM
    Thursday, April 28, 2016 2:04 AM
  • Hi Anne,

I am running version 6.2.9200.17642

I have all updates not sure why that update was not applied or why it did not come up in Windows Updates.

I have installed it now and will try and keep you posted.

Alex Olver

• Edited by brimanyo Thursday, April 28, 2016 4:55 AM
    Thursday, April 28, 2016 4:55 AM
  • I also checked services and the WSUS Certificate Server was not running.

Thanks.

Alex Olver

Thursday, April 28, 2016 5:04 AM
  • All good at this stage, seems to be downloading it all.

Alex Olver

Thursday, April 28, 2016 11:36 PM
  • Hi brimanyo,

Glad to hear it! Cheers!

Best Regards,

Anne

Friday, April 29, 2016 2:00 AM
  • Hi Anne!

Not sure whats happened but no I cannot even connect to the WSUS Server.

I hope you can assist!

Alex Olver

Tuesday, May 10, 2016 5:29 AM
  • Hi brmanyo,

Could you descript the detailed situation now?

Tip, if your issue now is not related with the original issue in this post, it is recommended to create a new post, so that you can get better help. And since it is a new post, more people will see it and provide help.

Best Regards,

Anne

• Marked as answer by brimanyo Tuesday, May 10, 2016 5:45 AM
    Tuesday, May 10, 2016 5:36 AM