WSUS side by side Migration of windows server 2003 to windows server 2008 RRS feed

• Question

• Dear Friends,

I want to migrate WSUS side by side from windows server 2003 to windows server 2008 R2 . Any suggestion please . We have one upstream server with server 2008 and downstream with server 2003 , now i am planning migrate only downstream server from 2003 to another 2008 server ..

Thanks,

Senthil

Monday, January 25, 2016 1:12 PM

Answers

• The on;y real 'gotcha' I've come across with this, is to make sure that your existing WSUS server is still online when you add the WSUS role onto the new server.  It'll check for the latest updates when you add the role, and if it can't contact an update source (i.e. your existing WSUS server), it'll get stuck in a loop you can't break out of.

Other than that, it's just a case of:

1. Build your new server
    2. Add the WSUS role, and configure it
    3. (Optional, depending on how you manage updates) Export the update definitions from your old WSUS server and import them into the new one
    4. Point your clients at the new server (change the DNS alias, or update the GPO, depending on how you do it at the moment)
    • Proposed as answer by Steven_Lee0510 Monday, January 25, 2016 3:15 PM
    • Marked as answer by Steven_Lee0510 Tuesday, February 9, 2016 3:15 PM
    Monday, January 25, 2016 1:29 PM

All replies

• The on;y real 'gotcha' I've come across with this, is to make sure that your existing WSUS server is still online when you add the WSUS role onto the new server.  It'll check for the latest updates when you add the role, and if it can't contact an update source (i.e. your existing WSUS server), it'll get stuck in a loop you can't break out of.

Other than that, it's just a case of:

1. Build your new server
    2. Add the WSUS role, and configure it
    3. (Optional, depending on how you manage updates) Export the update definitions from your old WSUS server and import them into the new one
    4. Point your clients at the new server (change the DNS alias, or update the GPO, depending on how you do it at the moment)
    • Proposed as answer by Steven_Lee0510 Monday, January 25, 2016 3:15 PM
    • Marked as answer by Steven_Lee0510 Tuesday, February 9, 2016 3:15 PM
    Monday, January 25, 2016 1:29 PM
  • Hi,

Also, please check if the following link is helpful:

Windows Server Update Services 3.0 SP2 Migration Guide

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee822824(v=ws.10).aspx

Best Regards,

Steven Lee Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, January 25, 2016 3:15 PM
  • since we are going to migrate only downstream server , if will build new 2008 server and if we point to upstream server , will this new WSUS server get Sync from upstream ? once it get the sync we can cut down the another 2003 downstream server ? will it work ?
    Monday, January 25, 2016 5:12 PM
  • since we are going to migrate only downstream server , if will build new 2008 server and if we point to upstream server , will this new WSUS server get Sync from upstream ? once it get the sync we can cut down the another 2003 downstream server ? will it work ?

Yes you can sync and your plan will work.
    Monday, January 25, 2016 5:20 PM