none
Why is kb3000850 not marked as an Update Rollup RRS feed

• Question

• I've just discovered an update rollup for Windows 8.1 and Server 2012R2. It's kb3000850 released last November. The reason I missed it then was because WSUS lists it as an Update, not an Update Rollup. I have my Update View for 8.1 set to Security, Critical and Update Rollups, not general updates.

Why is this not listed as a Rollup? If it had shown up at the correct time I could have included it in my tablet rollout. As it is I might swamp the wireless connections of the tablets with such a huge update, so I'm reluctant to do it.

Thursday, February 19, 2015 10:24 AM

Answers

• I've just discovered an update rollup for Windows 8.1 and Server 2012R2. It's kb3000850 released last November. The reason I missed it then was because WSUS lists it as an Update, not an Update Rollup. I have my Update View for 8.1 set to Security, Critical and Update Rollups, not general updates.

Why is this not listed as a Rollup? If it had shown up at the correct time I could have included it in my tablet rollout. As it is I might swamp the wireless connections of the tablets with such a huge update, so I'm reluctant to do it.

I took a quick look at the "monthly" 8.1 "updates", and other than this November 2014 release, they seem to be "Critical" and not "Rollup" at all. At a guess, you've been seeing these in your view, not because you have selected "Update Rollup", but because you have selected "Critical".

So, in a way, this was always going to happen to you at some time, because there's no guarantee that there was always going to be a "Critical" aspect to the update classification.

MSFT are rather vague/ambiguous about their use of the term "Rollup" and also "Cumulative" across different products (e.g. Windows vs. Office).

[and as for Vivian's reply regarding "Service Pack is for updating new features", that's just weird - SPs for Windows don't do that, excepting XPSP2, which was an extra-special case..]

Don
    (Please take a moment to "Vote as Helpful" and/or "Mark as Answer", where applicable.
    This helps the community, keeps the forums tidy, and recognises useful contributions. Thanks!)

Friday, February 20, 2015 9:55 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Please check the similar thread:

Update rollup KB3000850

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/0605f7f0-52f6-4760-98ae-11ee7ecc813c/update-rollup-kb3000850?forum=winserverManagement

Regards.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Friday, February 20, 2015 7:52 AM

I took a quick look at the "monthly" 8.1 "updates", and other than this November 2014 release, they seem to be "Critical" and not "Rollup" at all. At a guess, you've been seeing these in your view, not because you have selected "Update Rollup", but because you have selected "Critical".

So, in a way, this was always going to happen to you at some time, because there's no guarantee that there was always going to be a "Critical" aspect to the update classification.

MSFT are rather vague/ambiguous about their use of the term "Rollup" and also "Cumulative" across different products (e.g. Windows vs. Office).

[and as for Vivian's reply regarding "Service Pack is for updating new features", that's just weird - SPs for Windows don't do that, excepting XPSP2, which was an extra-special case..]

Don
    (Please take a moment to "Vote as Helpful" and/or "Mark as Answer", where applicable.
    This helps the community, keeps the forums tidy, and recognises useful contributions. Thanks!)

Friday, February 20, 2015 9:55 AM
  • MSFT are rather vague/ambiguous about their use of the term "Rollup" and also "Cumulative" across . Thanks!)

Well here's hoping they get a little less vague. A rollup should be marked as such.
    Monday, February 23, 2015 8:22 AM