Download problem with Windows 7 64 bit and IE ver. 11 or 10 or 9. RRS feed

• Question

• Why is that a . turns to _ in filenames when I try to download? If a file is named xxxxx.exe it can be renamed to xxxxx_exe or xxxxx.pfd it can be renamed to xxxxx_pdf. I have tried other IE versions but with no avail. I have resat the browser and have reinstalled it. The error is sporadic and the only solution is to restart the Pc. I don't think this is an issue with 32 bit versions of Windows. The Antivirus has been uninstalled too. I have a snapshot of the registry when everything is ok and another snapshot when the error is present but I can't tell any difference. It is hard to troubleshoot because the error is sporadic.

Peter.

Regards Peter

Sunday, March 23, 2014 3:22 PM

Answers

• Hi Peter,

I suspect the issue is related to IE settings. I would like to suggest you try the following steps to check the issue:

1. Uncheck "Enable Enhanced Protected mode".  Internet Options> Advanced> Security section> uncheck "Enable Enhanced Protected mode" .

2. Uncheck "Do not save encrypted pages to disk". Tools > Internet Options > Advanced > clear the check mark from the Do not save encrypted pages to disk check box in the Security area, and then click OK. (This is the default Internet Explorer setting.)

3. Control Panel> Default programs> verify that the file type associations are correct for the affected file types.

4. Clear the Temporary Internet Files with "Preserve Favorites website data" unchecked.

I also suspect, this is a virus-effected issue, you may scan your computer by security software.

Microsoft Safety Scanner: http://www.microsoft.com/security/scanner/en-us/default.aspx

Hope it helps.

Regards,

Blair Deng

Blair Deng
    TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by Michael_LS Friday, April 4, 2014 7:39 AM
    Tuesday, March 25, 2014 1:55 AM