How to set security on multiple files in one go? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

On previous versions of Windows you could select multiple files or folders and set the security on all of them in one go. If the current ACLs were different, you would get a warning and be able to reset them.

On Windows 7 (and also I think Vista, 2008 & 2008 R2), if you select more than one file or folder, the security tab is not shown.

This was quite a useful feature. Is it turned off by design now? Is there a way to turn it back on?

If not, can we have it back please, Microsoft?

Thanks!

P.S. I know this can be done with CACLS.EXE and other similar commands but it would be nice to have it back in the GUI.
    • Changed type Arthur Xie Monday, November 23, 2009 8:24 AM
    • Changed type Arthur Xie Tuesday, November 24, 2009 9:51 AM
    • Changed type Arthur Xie Thursday, November 26, 2009 4:01 AM
    Thursday, November 19, 2009 12:51 AM

All replies

• If you want to do this on many machines or the same machine after it has been reinstalled I would recommend that you use a GPO to set the file permissions on these files and folders.
    Thursday, November 19, 2009 1:36 PM
  • If you want to do this on many machines or the same machine after it has been reinstalled I would recommend that you use a GPO to set the file permissions on these files and folders.
    And WHY someone would want to use a Group Policy to change permissions or attributes of a bunch of files, instead of just using the right click, as it always worked fine?
    What is the point of removing useful features of the GUI? To call it "simpler"?

Nice.. just open a empty white image in MS Paint. It is SUPER simple. The only problem is this can´t be used to get the job done.
    Thursday, November 19, 2009 2:38 PM
  • As it is not possible to change multiple files and folders at the same time I was just suggesting another way of doing, a way which is far better as you do it one time and then never have to think about it again :)
    Thursday, November 19, 2009 3:32 PM
  • Andreas, I know you are only trying to help. But the problem is exactly that MS never listen and we always have to look for "another way of doing" even if the old way worked fine before.

Thanks for the help, but I really wanted to hear why MS seens to be going in this direction anyway.
    Thursday, November 19, 2009 4:48 PM
  • I agree with Warel, Andreas, using group policy is not easier. If I just want to change the ACLs of say, 10 files on a network share to quickly add 1 ACE, this used to be very easy. Select the 10 files, add the ACE, OK, all 10 get it. Now, you can't do this. No-one is going to use a GPO for this sort of thing.

This is another example of things lost such as the sharing icon that we all use and depend on...
    Thursday, November 19, 2009 6:53 PM
  • I agree with Warel, Andreas, using group policy is not easier. If I just want to change the ACLs of say, 10 files on a network share to quickly add 1 ACE, this used to be very easy. Select the 10 files, add the ACE, OK, all 10 get it. Now, you can't do this. No-one is going to use a GPO for this sort of thing.

This is another example of things lost such as the sharing icon that we all use and depend on...

In that scenario I could not agree more with you on the fact that a GPO will not help at all.
    I also find it strange for MS to leave the feature out to edit multiple files and folders in one shot!

derosnec, gpedit.msc is not supplied in the Home versions or below.
    Thursday, November 19, 2009 7:19 PM

• I am still wondering.  Is gpedit supplied with Home Premium?

http://www.vistax64.com/system-security/180108-add-group-policy-vista-home-premium.html
    Seesons greetings!
    Thursday, November 19, 2009 8:39 PM
  • Consider it an exciting "challenge" when before you could change the ACL in one shot and now your dealing with one file/folder at a time!
    Seesons greetings!
    Thursday, November 19, 2009 8:43 PM
  • Yes, there are quite a few "exciting challenges" in Windows 7 and 2008 R2 now :)
    Thursday, November 19, 2009 8:58 PM
  • Which do you think would be more time consuming,

a) selecting all of the objects at once and applying permissions as was possible some time ago (during the functional era) 

b) the group policy method (absurd answers incorporated) or

c) managing the individual objects one at time? (challenging and absurd)
    Seesons greetings!
    Thursday, November 19, 2009 11:13 PM
  • If you want to change permissions for multiple folders, we suggest that you put these folders into one folder. After doing so there would not be any permission confusions. However, if you have to keep the original folder locations, you may:

1. Create a new folder. Move all folders that which permissions are needed to be changed in to the new folder.
    2. Change the permission for the new folder. Apply to all its subfolders.
    3. Move the folders from the new folder to their original location.

Please note, we need to move folders, but not copy-past. Because moving folders will keep the original permissions.

Another workaround is using batch file. You may use the command icacls for each folders and run the commands form a batch file.

Arthur Xie - MSFT
    • Marked as answer by Arthur Xie Thursday, November 26, 2009 3:59 AM
    Wednesday, November 25, 2009 8:38 AM
  • If you want to change permissions for multiple folders, we suggest that you put these folders into one folder. After doing so there would not be any permission confusions. However, if you have to keep the original folder locations, you may:

1. Create a new folder. Move all folders that which permissions are needed to be changed in to the new folder.

Please note, we need to move folders, but not copy-past. Because moving folders will keep the original permissions.

Another workaround is using batch file. You may use the command icacls for each folders and run the commands form a batch file.

Arthur Xie - MSFT

Wow!!! Sooooooooooo simpler! I really hated back in Windows XP when we had all that trouble of selecting the files and right clicking to change permissions, and.. well, nothing else? The task was completed...

Now, Windows 7 is sooo better, isn´t? Thanks, Microsoft... for making our lives sooooooooooooooooooooooo easier.

(Alert: The above text may contain sarcasm.)
    Wednesday, November 25, 2009 10:17 AM

Arthur Xie - MSFT
    That is if the objects you are trying to change will allow you to move them to a new folder. Icacls would be rather tedious because you would have to make an individual script for each unique folder name.
    Seasons greetings!
    Wednesday, November 25, 2009 3:19 PM

• derosnec, gpedit.msc is not supplied in the Home versions or below.

Thank you, Andreas.  My previous reply was discriminately censored.

Wednesday, November 25, 2009 4:45 PM
  • Arthur, I know you're also just trying to be helpful and thankyou for that, but how can a Microsoft employee seriously suggest such actions to work around a completely missing feature of the Windows 7 GUI? If you want to be helpful, please pass this onto the group in Microsoft responsible for missing it out and ask them to re-add it.

This is even more of an issue on R2. Add that to the missing shared folder icon and it's turning into a progressive nightmare...
    • Edited by Rob.Ford Wednesday, November 25, 2009 6:23 PM typo
    Wednesday, November 25, 2009 6:22 PM
  • Thank you, Andreas.  My previous reply was discriminately censored.

derosnec

3 of your posts were deleted in this thread. When a post is deleted a notation is added to the bottom of the deleted post that shows who deleted it and the reason that it was deleted.

The 3 posts you are refering to contain the following notations.

Deleted by dеrosnеc Monday, November 23, 2009 4:04 AM Marked as Spam

Deleted by dеrosnеc Monday, November 23, 2009 4:05 AM Marked as Spam

Deleted by dеrosnеc Monday, November 23, 2009 4:09 AM Marked as Spam

This begs the question, Why are you apparently deleting your own posts and then claiming they were censored?

Let us know.

Ronnie Vernon MVP

Forum Moderator
    Wednesday, November 25, 2009 7:10 PM
  • Thank you, Andreas.  My previous reply was discriminately censored.

derosnec

3 of your posts were deleted in this thread. When a post is deleted a notation is added to the bottom of the deleted post that shows who deleted it and the reason that it was deleted.

The 3 posts you are refering to contain the following notations.

Deleted by dеrosnеc Monday, November 23, 2009 4:04 AM Marked as Spam

Deleted by dеrosnеc Monday, November 23, 2009 4:05 AM Marked as Spam

Deleted by dеrosnеc Monday, November 23, 2009 4:09 AM Marked as Spam

This begs the question, Why are you apparently deleting your own posts and then claiming they were censored?

Let us know.

Ronnie Vernon MVP

Forum Moderator

In case you were unaware.    Somebody with moderator privileges seized my account.  Check the time that lockout happened.

I hope that sufficiently answers your question, Ronnie.

Spam.  It was obvious what the actual intent of the inquiry  " is there a way to delete all posts en mass "  was all about.

Wednesday, November 25, 2009 7:21 PM
  • In case you were unaware.    Somebody with moderator privileges seized my account.  Check the time that lockout happened.

Nobody 'seized' your account? Your account profile was simply banned and removed for violations of the code of conduct. What was this, the 6th or 7th time? It's hard to remember.

Moderators cannot seize or ban accounts, only the forum administrators can do this.

You are always deleting many of your own posts, perhaps you just forgot about these 3?

Regards,

Ronnie Vernon MVP

Forum Moderator
    Wednesday, November 25, 2009 7:57 PM
  • In case you were unaware.    Somebody with moderator privileges seized my account.  Check the time that lockout happened.

Nobody 'seized' your account? Your account profile was simply banned and removed for violations of the code of conduct. What was this, the 6th or 7th time? It's hard to remember.

Moderators cannot seize or ban accounts, only the forum administrators can do this.

You are always deleting many of your own posts, perhaps you just forgot about these 3?

Regards,

Ronnie Vernon MVP

Forum Moderator

Like I said, Ronnie.  Check the timestamp.  It is impossible I deleted and marked my own posts "spam" after my account was locked-out.

And yes, Ronnie, there is indeed a long history to this.  A very colorful one.   Thanks for your interest.
    Wednesday, November 25, 2009 8:09 PM
  • Like I said, Ronnie.  Check the timestamp.  It is impossible I deleted and marked my own posts "spam" after my account was locked-out.
    Not impossible in this case since your last post in your banned account was still under your control at the same time that these 3 posts were deleted. The notation entries don't lie.

Why are you posting links to threads that have nothing to do with the current subject?

If this is too uncomfortable for you, I'll just drop the subject.

Regards,

Ronnie Vernon MVP

Forum Moderator
    Wednesday, November 25, 2009 8:48 PM
  • Like I said, Ronnie.  Check the timestamp.  It is impossible I deleted and marked my own posts "spam" after my account was locked-out.
    Not impossible in this case since your last post in your banned account was still under your control at the same time that these 3 posts were deleted. The notation entries don't lie.

Why are you posting links to threads that have nothing to do with the current subject?

If this is too uncomfortable for you, I'll just drop the subject.

Regards,

Ronnie Vernon MVP

Forum Moderator

Ronnie, look at the last post in this locked thread:  LockedIs it legal to delete ei.cfg from Windows 7 installation media?

Shall I post that entire uncensored thread here too, to demonstrate the timeframe?

Now look at the final post in my banned profile.

Finally, look at the timestamps on my supposed self-marked self-deleted spam.

Uncomfortable?  Why would I feel uncomfortable with facts and truth ?   There it is before your eyes.

It is you you who right now keeps deleting my first reply above, which shows how this thread originally looked before it was censored.

I suppose you plan next to try to convince Shaon Shan MSFT that I deleted my own post that was marked "answer" (again impossible to do).

Or perhaps you'll have better success convincing RZ.MSFT that I deleted my own post marked "answer" from thread  LockedTrustedInstaller

Yes Ronnie, there are plenty more on that list.  Let's check those self-spam-delete timestamps too.
    Wednesday, November 25, 2009 9:11 PM
  • Ronnie, look at the last post in this locked thread:  LockedIs it legal to delete ei.cfg from Windows 7 installation media?

Shall I post that entire uncensored thread here too, to demonstrate the timeframe?

Uncomfortable?  Why would I feel uncomfortable with facts and truth ?   There it is before your eyes.

It is you you who right now keeps deleting my first reply above, which shows how this thread originally looked before it was censored.

One of the last posts with your banned account (which was also deleted by another moderator) shows:
    Monday, November 23, 2009 4:04 AM

Which is about the same time frame when the 3 posts in question here were deleted.

Do you want me to undelete that post so that everyone can see it?

I have removed your previous post in this thread because it just shows a screenshot without the notations which show the proof of who deleted the posts, which is the current subject? What is the point of this?

What do you mean by  "keeps deleting my first reply above"? Is someone undeleting it?

Regards,

Ronnie Vernon MVP

Forum Moderator
    Wednesday, November 25, 2009 9:45 PM
  • Ronnie, look at the last post in this locked thread:  LockedIs it legal to delete ei.cfg from Windows 7 installation media?

One of the last posts with your banned account (which was also deleted by another moderator) shows:
    Monday, November 23, 2009 4:04 AM

Which is about the same time frame when the 3 posts in question here were deleted.

Do you want me to undelete that post so that everyone can see it?

I have removed your previous post in this thread because it just shows a screenshot without the notations which show the proof of who deleted the posts, which is the current subject? What is the point of this?

What do you mean by  "keeps deleting my first reply above"? Is someone undeleting it?

Regards,

Ronnie Vernon MVP

Forum Moderator

I would like you to undelete the entire thread, so everybody could see in context how biased censorship caused it to decay into protest.

That's what I'd like.  Would you like me to upload it?

And I'd like you to show us the deletion marks on those many other "answer" posts.  Let's see them too.  Self deleted spam, are they?

Show us those timestamps, Ronnie.

Oh where oh where did my little thread  format usb flash drives fat32 or ntfs? anybody using readyboost?  go ?

Oh where oh where might it be ?

Ronnie, I will say this, then I will not respond anymore to this present conversation.  I honestly believe you honestly don't know what has been going on during this past year.  Else you wouldn't have offered any reply in this thread.  You would've just deleted my earliest post here (today) instead.

That's all I've got to say on this topic.
    Wednesday, November 25, 2009 10:08 PM
  • I would like you to undelete the entire thread, so everybody could see in context how biased censorship caused it to decay into protest.

And I'd like you to show us the deletion marks on those many other "answer" posts.  Let's see them too.  Self deleted spam, are they?

Oh where oh where did my little thread  format usb flash drives fat32 or ntfs? anybody using readyboost?  go ?

Avoiding and trying to confuse the current subject doesn't make it go away.

The current subject is "Why are you apparently deleting your own posts and then claiming they were censored?"

By the way, I did undelete the post in that thread so that everyone can see the time frame when it was posted. They will also see why it was deleted, by another moderator, in the first place.

Is it legal to delete ei.cfg from Windows 7 installation media?

Any response?

Regards,

Ronnie Vernon MVP

Forum Moderator
    Wednesday, November 25, 2009 10:27 PM
  • I would like you to undelete the entire thread, so everybody could see in context how biased censorship caused it to decay into protest.

Avoiding and trying to confuse the current subject doesn't make it go away.

The current subject is "Why are you apparently deleting your own posts and then claiming they were censored?"

By the way, I did undelete the post in this thread so that everyone can see the time frame when it was posted. They will also see why it was deleted, by another moderator, in the first place.

Is it legal to delete ei.cfg from Windows 7 installation media?

Any response?

Regards,

Ronnie Vernon MVP

Forum Moderator

You just won't let it go, will you Ronnie.  Therein lies the truth.

Drew's answer was totally absurd.  Everyone involved (except Carey) resented it.  Even he later retracted it.

"I apologise for going askew.  I did a bit of fitting research & I really see your point/delima."

Then 16 hours later Carey marked it answer !????

My posts were submitted in earnest.  I composed them with considerable effort, providing official links.

Ronnie, what's your problem?  Really.  You are distorting all this into a lie.  I was censored there.  I was censored here.  Am being censored here.

Many of my posts and answers have since been retro-deleted.

Simple as that.  Believe, or pretend to believe whatever you will Ronnie.  I speak the truth.

Oh, I see you deleted my post just now replicating that thread and showing exactly what happened.  Ronnie, your behavior is shameful.

Wednesday, November 25, 2009 10:59 PM
  • Ronnie, what's your problem?  Really.  You are distorting all this into a lie.  I was censored there.  I was censored here.

Simple as that.
    The subject of that other thread is not part of this discussion. I only refered to that thread to show the timeframe that you said did not exist. Posting an older copy of that thread here doesn't show the timeframe of when your previous account was banned.

My only reason for engaging you in this thread was to address your claim that you were being "discriminately censored" and I think we have shown that this is a false claim.

One other comment before I close this thread. There is a difference between 'censorship' and violating a posted
    Community Code of Conduct that all members are required to follow.

While there may be a difference of opinion about whether or not a post actually does violate the code of conduct, the moderators here have a responsibility and their own set of guidelines that they are required to follow when determing if a post violates that code and should be removed.

Regards,

Ronnie Vernon MVP

Forum Moderator

Wednesday, November 25, 2009 11:25 PM
  • Hi All,

We have already report such feedbacks to proper department. They have noticed that.

Arthur Xie - MSFT
    • Marked as answer by Arthur Xie Thursday, November 26, 2009 4:00 AM
    Thursday, November 26, 2009 3:59 AM